Sony VCL-HG0737Y Wide In stock! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old March 22nd, 2006, 06:06 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony VCL-HG0737Y Wide In stock!

Hey group, just wanted to give you guys an FYI, since I got my HC1 a couple of weeks ago I'd been searching for the wide lens, called Sony today and they have it in stock right now, in the event that anyone is looking.

Miguel
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:37 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I just ordered mine from https://www.shopsunshine.com/item.php?item_id=125238. I just can't wait to come!
Old May 17th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Would anyone mind elaborating on this lens and how it would help? I'm pretty new to cameras, etc. Also, around how much do these lenses go for?
Old May 17th, 2008, 05:45 PM   #4
Inner Circle

It's big,, it's heavy, and it's quite a nice piece of glass - almost no barrel distortion, very clean image. Did I mention it was HEAVY?? It's probably the best WA Sony has made for the 37mm thread, but it is significantly larger and heavier than the HG0737X and current HG0737C lenses.

I keep a couple for the best image if the cam is tripod mounted, but use a C or X when handheld... Originally these went for around $250, price is what you have to pay to get one...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 11:23 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Sony wide angle

This Sony wideangle is a great lense. In fact I find it's extra weight helps you get more stable hand-held shots with the HC1 (although almost all what I do is tripod.) Pictures of my HC1 with it on in the thread linked below. I find it invaluable for any indoor shooting as without it it's sometimes not possible to get all the people/room ambience required.

It's also great for those wide shots of large buildings (I do a lot of architectural/historical shooting in a Cathedral.) In fact, I get better wide angle shots than my mate with his V1 and it's wide angle converter lense (Sony 0.8x) because it's a bit wider (0.7x) AND there is much less barrel distortion by comparison...so in this case the cheaper "prosumer" camera wins!

The Cavision lense hood I use for this wideangle is really a must as well - more details (and pictures of that on my set-up in this thread as well.)

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=115749
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:20 AM   #6
Major Player

I have the "Y" lens on my HVR-A1 and the "X" lens on my CX7. Most of the quality difference I'm seeing between the two cameras is due to the difference in these lenses. Yeah the "Y" lens is longer and a lot heavier, but it does produce a better image. I think I will probably stick with the "X" lens on my CX7 because the "Y" lens outweighs the camera and I use that mostly for home footage anyway.

On my HVR-A1 however I would hate to have to use the lower quality "X" lens. The "Y" lens looks like the stock lens only wider. There is no noticeable degradation of the image. There is no barrel distortion, softening of the edges, fringing or any of the other plagues of a wide angle lens.

Either model blows away the Century Optics 37mm lens which has an image quality which just looks horrible.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:08 AM   #7
Major Player

I have both the Y and current C series wide lenses. Both are of excellent quality, better than anything out there in the market (for 37mm thread) at any price. The obvious differences between the two are the size and weight and maybe the availability of a 3rd party lenshood (77mm clamp-on Cavision) which helps reduce flare but is a bit ungainly). Performance-wise, the Y is more resistant to flare than the C probably due to the near-flat shape of its front element as opposed to the more usual convex shape of the latter. The Y may be a hair better in controlling distortion though this, like the other attributes, may also depend on what cameras you mount it on. The sharpness are very good for both and there is an almost imperceptible amount of CAs or corner shading when both are mounted on the HC-1 or A1.

Best
Wacharapong
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 11:49 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Well, after six weeks, I reach out to the conclusion that all the "Y" version are on back order. I've tried 2 e-shops, with "Y" on sale, including shopsunshine.com, and both reply that those lens are in back order. So, now I'm oscillating. I don't know what to chose. I don't know if a " C" is good enough. Any help will be good.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 09:35 AM   #9
Inner Circle

"backorder" on a discontinued piece means "ain't gonna happen".

The "C" is current and should be available. It's better than the older silver HG series lenses ("X" and no suffix, which I use when I WANT lens flare for creative effect... seriously!), and while it isn't up to the high level of the "Y", it's sure lots lighter.

I won't give up the HG0737Y lenses I've got, but it's the "C" lens that I take with for most use just because of size and weight... unless you happen to have a "Y" to put it next to, you'll not be disappointed. If you need a WA you could do a lot worse than the "C". It's a good all around lens.

To summarize:
0737Y - heaviest, largest, best image quality - no barrel distortion, almost no flare or CA
0737C - smallest, lightest, very good image quality, some barrelling, minimal flare/CA
0737X and 0737 - older lenses, small, light, good image quality (soft in comparison to later lenses), some barelling, flare/CA

I've got a couple other WA lenses, just for reference...
Sony 0637H for instance is a decent little "cheap" WA, small and light, but it's noticeably softer, the .6 shows definite barelling (expected with the wider angle), I've never had the nerve to use it in conditions where it might show flare. Works in a pinch though!

Century MkII .3 untra fisheye... what can you say, this is a "trick" lens, not zoom through, mega distorted image because of the fisheye, but again, gets you a super wide field of view and that cool fisheye "effect". Weird, but has it's place...
Old July 4th, 2008, 07:04 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks Dave. I guess there is no alternative than buying a 0737C, after all :). I think will be enough for shooting special events and mostly indoor. I know that raynox have some alternatives(6600 and 7000 pro), finally I' ll stick to the sony.
Old July 7th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I've owned a 6600 pro (Raynox) - OK lens, I'd still take the 0737C over it though, particularly since IIRC you'll need an adapter ring for the 6600 (mine was a 43mm thread)
Old August 6th, 2008, 07:58 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Guys, I got my "Y" wide lens. Brand new. I found them on ebay, $164. I guess it worth ed. Just want to share with you my joy.
Old August 6th, 2008, 08:15 AM   #13
Inner Circle

That's a great price for a great lense. Enjoy!
Old September 29th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Now that I have a Canon XH-A1, I wasn't really considering getting any accessories for my HC1. But I would like to still keep using my HC1 for family events and indoor stuff and it seems there's some good uses out of the lens discussed in this thread for that purpose. So perhaps I will still look into grabbing a nice lens. Thanks everyone in this thread.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series