DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   Sony wide angle lens in stock at B&H (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/64577-sony-wide-angle-lens-stock-b-h.html)

Stu Holmes May 3rd, 2006 06:14 PM

Here we go...

X lens was released before the Y lens.
X lens weighs about 190grams, Y lens about 320grams.
Y lens is physically (obviously) quite a lot bigger than the X lens.
Y lens has a slightly flatter front element than the X lens.
Y lens has a larger diameter front element.
Y lens is black, X lens is silver.
Both are designated "HG"= Hi-Grade in Sony-speak.
Both have (obviously) 37mm rear-filter thread, so same size rear-element.
Neither has a front-filter thread.
Y lens is usually more expensive than the X lens.
X lens is usually about USD99 at B&H, and Y lens is usually about USD149.
(right now - that´s exactly what their prices are at B&H, X lens reported as being in stock, Y lens reported as being out of stock).

Both people who have bought the X lens and people who´ve bought the Y lens almost unanimously report much satisfaction with their lens.

There exist, not on this site but another site, a lens test of the two lenses and it shows no discernible difference between the two lenses performance. there *may* be a difference, but even blowing up shots on a resolution chart has shown no *apparent* difference. Therefore i think it´s safe to say that on full-frame moving video it´ll be very very tough to tell the difference.

Summary : the lenses aren´t just aesthetically different, they are a slightly different design, but i´ve never heard of anyone being able to report noticing any real-world video OR static-shot on a res-chart difference in the performance.

- Both are very good.

Floris van Eck May 3rd, 2006 06:16 PM

I ordered mine today from B&H and already got a shipping confirmation. The Y version. It is in stock again at B&H.

Alex Thames May 3rd, 2006 06:22 PM

Actually, the Y lens has 3 groups, 4 elements - coming straight from Sony. And the Y lens is 320g without the lens cap - also straight from the Sony packaging labelling.

Stu Holmes May 3rd, 2006 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Thames
Actually, the Y lens has 3 groups, 4 elements - coming straight from Sony. And the Y lens is 320g without the lens cap - also straight from the Sony packaging labelling.

Weight: you´re right i was thinking of the tele Sony lens 2037. Y is 320gms, X is 190gms. I´ll edit my post.
Also don´t trust Sony´s web site too much - it´s RIDDLED with errors.

For example see this i just found:
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...me=specs&var2=

On the SAME PAGE, we have one statement that the lens is "3 groups, 4 elements" and then lower down on the left of this same page it says "4 groups, 6 elements". Sony.com is full of theser sort of careless inaccuracies.

Alex Thames May 3rd, 2006 07:06 PM

Well, it wasn't the site I was looking at, but the original packaging for the Y lens.

J. Stephen McDonald May 3rd, 2006 11:47 PM

Quote:

Well, it wasn't the site I was looking at, but the original packaging for the Y lens.

On Sony's website, the VCL-HG2037Y is specifically designated as being of HD quality. The "X" model does not have this designation in its description.

Floris van Eck May 5th, 2006 01:50 PM

I got the VCL-HG2037Y today and I must say I love it. It is really a big difference with the wide-angle lens on and off. Furthermore, it nicely balances the camera with the QM-71D battery on.

What I would like to ask, is if there are any limitations? I read something about the autofocus and infinity in the manual. Furthermore, does it cost me any stops of light if I have it on or off? Any other bottlenecks maybe...?

Thanks in advance for your great advice.

Alex Thames May 5th, 2006 03:08 PM

I hear it has slight red/green color aberrations at the widest angle on the sides, but using the lens myself, I don't really see it. But then again, I'm not very good at noticing these sorts of details.

Mikko Lopponen May 6th, 2006 05:56 AM

Quote:

I hear it has slight red/green color aberrations at the widest angle on the sides, but using the lens myself, I don't really see it.

I was looking at those Raynox pics (hd7000pro) and they showed some color aberrations at the sides. I haven't really been able to compare to the sony's so I don't know which ones to buy.

Stu Holmes May 6th, 2006 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floris van Eck
What I would like to ask, is if there are any limitations? I read something about the autofocus and infinity in the manual. Furthermore, does it cost me any stops of light if I have it on or off? Any other bottlenecks maybe...?

Hi - I don't *think* there's any loss of light with that lens, or certainly nothing substantial at all. You could tell easily by simply doing this:
- put camera on a tripod (or maybe if you haven't a tripod, put it on edge of a table. Switch exposure to MANUAL (fixed).
Take 10secs video with Y lens on, then stop recording, remove Y lens while keeping camera in exactly same place. Record another 10secs or so.
Replay this 10+10 secs of video on a TV. If there's any light loss then the second 10seconds (with Y lens off) will be slightly brighter than with it on.

Personally i don't think it'll be appreciable, but still interesting to see.

Chris Youell May 19th, 2006 10:33 AM

VCLHG0737Y back at Amazon for $99 just ordered it.

*Edit* Well I'm glad I ordered it when I did. I now just jumped back up to $159.99