DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   Sony $500 A1 rebate for businesses only? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/64593-sony-500-a1-rebate-businesses-only.html)

Dorothy Engleman April 7th, 2006 03:47 PM

Sony $500 A1 rebate for businesses only?

Sony's online rebate form requires a business name. Do indies and hobbyists qualify for the $500 rebate?

Thanks, as always :)
Dorothy

R.P. Cuenco April 7th, 2006 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorothy Engleman
Sony's online rebate form requires a business name. Do indies and hobbyists qualify for the $500 rebate?

Thanks, as always :)
Dorothy

Hint: take your last name and add "Productions" to it.
They require some sort of business name for whatever promotion they're doing and the easiest way to do it is just make up a name. For example, the recent cinealta demo reel dvd that they were ginving away. Filled in some random made-up business name, they even gave me two since I filled it out twice!

Roger Mason April 7th, 2006 08:36 PM

I got my rebate and I don't think I put anything in the business name field. I would just put your name for business for check cashing purposes.

Alex Thames April 7th, 2006 10:38 PM

I didn't type in a business name when I filled out the online rebate form.

Dorothy Engleman April 8th, 2006 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Thames
I didn't type in a business name when I filled out the online rebate form.

Thanks RP, Roger and Alex!

So Alex, did you receive your rebate yet? Enquiring indies want to know :)

Dorothy

Alex Thames April 8th, 2006 06:21 PM

Sorry, I just sent it out a few days ago. I'll let you know in a month or two.

Bret Corbin April 10th, 2006 07:28 AM

Dorothy,

I am just a hobbyist and received the $500 rebate in about 6-8 weeks. I just put my full name in the "business name" field as the instructions said the name had to match what was on the receipt. (B&H) I must admit that I had the same concern you did.

There was (is?) also a 6 month extension to the warranty available if the A1 was registered online. I apologize but I don't remember where I found that. Maybe someone else can help out here.

Dorothy Engleman April 10th, 2006 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bret Corbin
Dorothy,

I am just a hobbyist and received the $500 rebate in about 6-8 weeks. I just put my full name in the "business name" field as the instructions said the name had to match what was on the receipt. (B&H) I must admit that I had the same concern you did.

Thanks, Bret, that's great news!

I emailed Sony Customer Care and received this reply:

"Individuals are eligable for this rebate so I would suggest that you just put your name as the business name."

Always good to have things in writing!

Quote:

There was (is?) also a 6 month extension to the warranty available if the A1 was registered online. I apologize but I don't remember where I found that. Maybe someone else can help out here.
Happy to help.

Also, in the USA, the A1 comes with a one year parts and labor warranty that most major charge cards will extend an additional year, compared with the HC1's miserly one year parts and 90 days labor warranty. For EU countries, the A1 offers an even longer two year Silver Warranty, which you can enjoy whilst munching your non-GMO snacks!

Dorothy