DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   Equipment help needed (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/66856-equipment-help-needed.html)

Michael Stowe May 7th, 2006 03:19 PM

Equipment help needed

I have read several recommendations on different items but have the following questions: Again...this is just for family type events

1) I have a very nice Bogen Manfrotto tripod that I purchased during my DSLR days. My question...I would need to get a different head if I used this tripod. Probably around the $100 or more mark for a decent one. Am I better off to do this or go with the $40 tripods several have mentioned?

2) LANC controller recommendations? I feel I know this one already but would like feedback either way.

3) Batteries.. I have an older Sony camcorder that uses the exact same battery the A1 comes with. Ok to have 2 of these VS one larger battery?

** I still plan on getting the wide angle lens, a different Mic (probably the ME64 to start with and maybe the Rode down the road for outdoor use)

** I ordered the tripod adapter from Jeff (ebay) today.

Any and all suggestions welcome...

Floris van Eck May 7th, 2006 04:04 PM

I am also interested in a good tripod. If the $40 one is sufficient or if it is wise to invest in an expensive Bogen tripod. I also have a good one from my D-SLR days but it does not have a fluid head like the video ones.

Michael Stowe May 7th, 2006 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floris van Eck
I am also interested in a good tripod. If the $40 one is sufficient or if it is wise to invest in an expensive Bogen tripod. I also have a good one from my D-SLR days but it does not have a fluid head like the video ones.

Exactly...mine would need a fluid head. Pretty heavy/sturdy one so I am wondering if a lighter may be better.

Michael Stowe May 7th, 2006 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floris van Eck

Also..if you find a fluid head you like let me know. I have not looked to much as of yet

Evan Dowling May 8th, 2006 09:11 AM

I would definitely recommend buying a nice fluid head. Any of the Manfrotto models from $100 up are great. One with adjustable resistance would be better since the camera is so light. These are a must for good pans. As far as a tripod goes. You don't need anything special but the heavier they are, the better the results. I had a cheap one that was pretty light and a moderate wind would blow it around enough to see on the video. As far a LANC controller, this will make your life much easier and greatly improve the quality of your shots because it minimizes the times that you have to physically touch the camera, so you get a steadier shot.

Alex Thames May 8th, 2006 10:23 AM

Look into the Zoe 2005 controllers or the Manfrotto 521 (I think that's the number) where the push auto focus actually works on the A1, unlike the Varizoom ones (which don't).

Genuine Sony NP-QM71D batteries are the perfect size and capacity, I think. Cheap too. I got one new for $25 off eBay, though usually they're around $38.

Michael Stowe May 11th, 2006 10:29 PM

Well I ended up getting these items so far...

bogen manfrotto fluid tripod head to go with my bogen manfrotto tripod.

ME-64 mic with windscreen

Tripod adapter - very nice workmanship. A little tight on clearance for my tripod but very workable.

Went with the Varizoom controller (stealth model).

Sony wide angle lens will be here tomorrow since B&H just got them back in stock.

The Sony NP-QM71D battery

Still plan on getting an outdoor mic, probably the spider 2 and quick charger.

Could use some suggestions for on camera lighting....

Already have some nice Lowepro cases I used with my DSLR. Work great with the camcorder and equipment.

Lawrence Spurgeon May 13th, 2006 10:37 PM

Look at the 701RC2 head.

I have a Manfrotto 3001 tripod for the SLR with a ball head and just ordered the above fluid head at $105.

Marc Ries May 14th, 2006 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Thames
Look into the Zoe 2005 controllers or the Manfrotto 521 (I think that's the number) where the push auto focus actually works on the A1, unlike the Varizoom ones (which don't).

I have the Manfrotto 521 Pro (there are several versions of the 521). Double-check before you buy, though, because I believe that the Pro version is the only one that has the PAF function.

I also have the Bogan 755B MDeVe tripod with the 503 head. The biggest problem with a camera like this is that it only ways, like, 1.5 lbs. and there is nothing weighing the tripod down.

One of the reasons I got the 755B (and yes, I wanted a Gitzo) was the height and the ability to adjust the level using the stalk and the bowl. The down side is that it does not allow a weight "hook" to be attached to the bottom of the center post. It does have a circlet attachment point near the head, but it's tiny and so high up that almost any thing attached to it will wang on the center column.

I did find a neat solution though, in Wal-Mart, where they had a trick little "water bottle on your belt" assembly for $4. By getting my wife to replace the stock 4" long webbing with a 14" long piece of webbing, I can now quickly hook a 1 gallon plastic water jug to the 755B w/o it wanging on the center post.