DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   Helmet Cam? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/71808-helmet-cam.html)

Jason Gurwin July 19th, 2006 09:27 AM

Helmet Cam?

Will the helmet cameras from helmetcamera.com work with the A1?

Thanks!

Graham Hickling July 19th, 2006 04:01 PM

I know nothing about their cameras but .... I doubt it, since the A1 doesnt have an A/V-in port.

Jason Gurwin July 22nd, 2006 04:54 PM

Is there any way to use a helmet cam with the A1?

Tom Johnson July 22nd, 2006 06:10 PM

dude it will work fine just use the composite cable that came with the cam to adapt to the helmet cam composite out and then set the camcorder to play and use rec control to record what the helmet cam is outputting. works for me just fine

Graham Hickling July 22nd, 2006 06:59 PM

The Sony HC1 does not have composite in and I was assuming that was the case for the A1 also. If the A1 did have composite-in, then obviously there would be no problem.

Although, if you were to input composite all you would get is SD resolution, so why not use a (much) cheaper SD handycam - a TRV70 or similar?

Alex Thames July 22nd, 2006 07:25 PM

Checking out my A1, I only see that it has Component (not composite) out and A/V out. I don't see Component In, Composite In (or out for that matter), nor A/V in.

Jason Gurwin July 22nd, 2006 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Thames
Checking out my A1, I only see that it has Component (not composite) out and A/V out. I don't see Component In, Composite In (or out for that matter), nor A/V in.

I don't see it either. There is also no option in the standard set as stated above.

Justyn Rowe July 22nd, 2006 09:55 PM

I bought a helmetcamera from that site. Very nice quality product but I don't think you'd get much benefit out of an HDV capture anyway. Best to get any single chip DV camera to use as the record deck. Get a really small one, and you'll be set. Preferable one with the A/V inputs and a to d conversions.

Highly recommend them...

Tom Johnson July 23rd, 2006 01:49 AM

guys you need to know your camera better than this... the a/v out doubles as av in in play mode when you goto rec control in the menu. he has a small bullet cam with a video feed composite. use the cable that came with the cam and attach it to this along with any audio feeds. set camcorder to play then goto menu and goto rec control by know you should already see the bullet cameras image on your hc1 screen then hit record....mabye a1 does not have composite like hc1..huh that would be weird... i don't get the 1 at all then... hc1 and a beachtek work great plus you can always use the beachtek for something else when the cam gets olds and you throw it away

Tom Johnson July 23rd, 2006 01:51 AM

personally i have had some of the best helmet cams and they are not super impressive... i rather use a very small mini dv camcorder because the lense is a boat load better as is the picture

Jeff DeMaagd July 23rd, 2006 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Johnson
guys you need to know your camera better than this... the a/v out doubles as av in in play mode when you goto rec control in the menu.

Have you done this with this camera?

If you have managed to record from an external camera, that would be interesting, for two reasons. The jack label says "A/V OUT" and not "A/V IN/OUT". The manual's only mention of recording from an external source is to use a Firewire device, so in short, recording analog video is not in the manual that I can find. In fact, the manual says on p93 that the camera can't record from an external device using the A/V connector.

Graham Hickling July 23rd, 2006 11:45 AM

I've just tried recording a composite signal on my HC1 using the REC-CTRL menu item. ...... no dice.

And the manual says "you cannot record pictures fom any jack other than the I.LINK jack".

What am I missing here?

Wendy Tennery November 7th, 2006 05:58 PM

helmet cam with MAC??

I would love to purchase a helmet cam for my brother but he is a MAC user...any ideas?

Douglas Spotted Eagle November 7th, 2006 07:08 PM

So, you are looking for INPUT to the A1 from another camera module such as a bullet cam? This isn't possible with the A1, no.
I wear the A1 and HC3 almost daily as a helmet cam, love wearing em as they're lightweight and easily balanced.

Tony Macasaet November 7th, 2006 09:12 PM

Cool. How do you exactly accomplish this... how do you mount the A1 to a helmet?