No underscan w/conv. lens? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old December 25th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

No underscan w/conv. lens?

I noticed something today. I just got my Raynox HD7000Pro wide angle lens and was using it to shoot some home movies of Christmas morning. After turning on the wide angle conv. lens option in the HC1 menu, I believe it stops the underscan on the LCD and shows the entire frame. Can anyone else confirm this?
Evan Dowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2006, 09:30 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Evan,

I believe the conversion lens setting in the menu system only adjusts the Steady Shot "sensitivity". It decreases the effect with the wide conversion lens setting, and increases the effect in the telephoto conversion lens setting.

My HG0737Y was in use all day for indoors shots, and I don't notice any difference in the display. I'm not sure what you mean by "underscan".

Edit: I just confirmed the setting is for adjusting for "camera shake" with the different lenses in the manaul, page 48.

Jamie
Jamie Hellmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2006, 08:18 AM   #3
Regular Crew

When I say underscan, I mean that the LCD monitor and the viewfinder on the HC1 don't actually show you the entire frame that it being captured. For instance, I was shooting an infomercial style interview using a mic on a boom pole. The pole was not in the shot at all, but when I captured to Vegas and began editing I noticed that the boom pole was in the corner of the shot. When you go into Shot Trans mode, you will notice that the frame gets wider, showing you the entire frame. I believe this may also be the case when selecting the wide angle conv. lens feature. I know that there is no documentation confirming this, but there is also no documentation confirming the change of the display during Shot Trans mode. I'll have to do some tests and let you guys know.
Evan Dowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2006, 09:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Evan,

You could be on to something, kinda like how the zoom/wide-angle speed can be performed much slower in shot transition mode.

Jamie
Jamie Hellmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 02:31 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Did a test and no, the wide angle conv. lens option does not change the display at all. Only changes steadyshot settings.
Evan Dowling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series