DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   water housing for HC7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/90004-water-housing-hc7.html)

Wayne Zebzda March 26th, 2007 09:15 PM

water housing for HC7

Anyone know of an inexpensive water housing for the HC7 ?

John McManimie March 26th, 2007 09:22 PM

$269.00: http://epiccam.com/products/housings/epic-sport.html

Wayne Zebzda March 27th, 2007 04:59 PM

Thank you John, that is an excellent price for shallow dive apps.
wz

John McManimie March 27th, 2007 07:35 PM

It appears that the Sony Sports Pack SPK-HCC is also compatible with the HDR-HC7 (it isn't listed as compatible on the Sony Style web page but it is in the product's manual). It is $199.95 at B&H.

Dave Blackhurst March 27th, 2007 11:06 PM

The SPK-HCB may also work - I'll know for sure in a couple days, but it appears to be compatible from my research. Once I have the HC7 in hand I'll confirm w/ my HCB. Sony rates to 17 ft shallow dive, HCC probably similar.

DB>)

Wayne Zebzda March 28th, 2007 03:58 PM

Thanks Dave, I'll wait for your post.
wz

Dave Blackhurst March 29th, 2007 12:23 AM

Hi Wayne -
Should know next Tuesday - my cam's on the way! The Sony sport packs seem pretty decent for shallow depth work, and they control the camera through the "D" jack, which has a LANC interface among other things! I'm pretty sure the HCB and HCC both should work for the HC7, sure hope so anyhow, since I've got a couple HCB's for foul weather use!

DB>)

Dave Blackhurst April 3rd, 2007 09:54 PM

HCB works fine

Hi -
Got my HC7 in hand, having an interesting time playing with it - not exactly what I expected, but definitely a nice cam overall. DEFINITELY like the OIS, and sharpness seems on par with my HC1 on video, the stills are WAY sharper!

As for the water housing the sony SPK-HCB "will" work, but I found the "C" sled insert works better than the "B" one the HC3 used. It has a guide channel for the Lanc/"D"plug cable, and you'll need it fot he way the plug goes into the 7. The two positions for the "B" sled cause the cam to rub either on the cable on the left, or the hand strap on the right.

So there you go - while Sony calls for the HCC, if you can find an HCB at the right price, you should be good to go! Since I picked up a couple used HCB's cheap, I'm happy!

DB>)

Aaron Nanto April 5th, 2007 10:41 PM

Dave,

I just bought the HDR-HC7 and am very interested in buying either the SPK-HCC or SPK-HCB....and man finding out if they are compatible with the HC7 has been an entire night of research...(Sony themselves say "they are not compatible"...)

So I read from one of the reviews online for the HC7 is that the SPK-HCB will work, but he had to make a custom mounting plate (which I do NOT want to do!). But from what you said Dave, that you just use the "C" insert sled that comes with the SPK-HCB and it will work fine? I want to be 100% sure before I plunk down the cash for it.

[/url]

John McManimie April 5th, 2007 11:11 PM

The HC7 is listed as compatible with the SPK-HCC in the manual. It lists the HDR-UX7/UX5/UX3/HC7/HC5/HC3 models.

I've been wondering if the HC1 will fit. I'm told it is incompatible but since the SPK-HCC is 6 3/8 x 5 7/8 x 8 3/4 inches it should hold the HDR-HC1, which is 2 7/8 x 3 3/4 x 7 1/2 inches (clearly, models may be compatible that are not listed). Anybody know?

Dave Blackhurst April 5th, 2007 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Nanto (Post 654879)
Dave,

I just bought the HDR-HC7 and am very interested in buying either the SPK-HCC or SPK-HCB....and man finding out if they are compatible with the HC7 has been an entire night of research...(Sony themselves say "they are not compatible"...)

So I read from one of the reviews online for the HC7 is that the SPK-HCB will work, but he had to make a custom mounting plate (which I do NOT want to do!). But from what you said Dave, that you just use the "C" insert sled that comes with the SPK-HCB and it will work fine? I want to be 100% sure before I plunk down the cash for it.

Hi Aaron -

I tried Sony online support,and got the same "not compatible" answer...

I believe the HCC IS shown as compatible with the HC7.

I can confirm that when mounted on the only screw mounting point on the "C" sled in a HCB, the HC7 is quite cozy - it's a tight fit on the handstrap, which you may need to move a bit (the camera may shift to a slight angle, but the flip out screen lines up in a FAR better spot than it did with the HC3 - I am far happier!).

I'm not sure if the HCB comes with a 37MM anti reflection ring, I believe it does, but my secondhand housings came with a mixed bag of miscellaneous spares and I can't say for sure if the 37MM AR rings were with those specific housings originally - MOST LIKELY they were..., I am pretty sure you'll need to have an AR ring to avoid reflections off the spiffy chrome lens ring on the 7!

Finally, there isn't really room for mounting a WA as the housing comes stock, and if you want that, you may need to modify one of the included sleds. There is plenty of room behind the camera, so I'll be looking at that possibility somewhere along the line!

DB>)

Aaron Nanto April 6th, 2007 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst (Post 654914)
Hi Aaron -

I tried Sony online support,and got the same "not compatible" answer...

I believe the HCC IS shown as compatible with the HC7.

I can confirm that when mounted on the only screw mounting point on the "C" sled in a HCB, the HC7 is quite cozy - it's a tight fit on the handstrap, which you may need to move a bit (the camera may shift to a slight angle, but the flip out screen lines up in a FAR better spot than it did with the HC3 - I am far happier!).

I'm not sure if the HCB comes with a 37MM anti reflection ring, I believe it does, but my secondhand housings came with a mixed bag of miscellaneous spares and I can't say for sure if the 37MM AR rings were with those specific housings originally - MOST LIKELY they were..., I am pretty sure you'll need to have an AR ring to avoid reflections off the spiffy chrome lens ring on the 7!

Finally, there isn't really room for mounting a WA as the housing comes stock, and if you want that, you may need to modify one of the included sleds. There is plenty of room behind the camera, so I'll be looking at that possibility somewhere along the line!

DB>)

Thanks for the further detail on the housing Dave. Reading up more it looks like I should get the more expensive HCC model if I really want no issues. I read elsewhere that the HCB does not natively come with an anti-reflection ring so yet another reason to get the HCC.

Good to hear that there is plenty of room in the back of the cam...I was worried that I couldn't use the NPFH100 battery with it....

Dave Blackhurst April 6th, 2007 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John McManimie (Post 654899)
The HC7 is listed as compatible with the SPK-HCC in the manual. It lists the HDR-UX7/UX5/UX3/HC7/HC5/HC3 models.

I've been wondering if the HC1 will fit. I'm told it is incompatible but since the SPK-HCC is 6 3/8 x 5 7/8 x 8 3/4 inches it should hold the HDR-HC1, which is 2 7/8 x 3 3/4 x 7 1/2 inches (clearly, models may be compatible that are not listed). Anybody know?

Hi John -

Two possible problems (I have the HC1 and an HCB but not a HCC) - the fit will likely be tight - the front "lens" on my HCB is a good 5/8"+ (almost 3/4") recessed behind the outside edge of the bezel/ring... I measure my HC1 at just shy of 7 1/2" - not a lot of wiggle room, but seems like it MIGHT work.

Here's the rub - the "D" plug that the HCB and I presume the HCC use to send the LANC signal to the HC3/5/7 DOES NOT have a connection on the HC1 - to be accurate, the HC1 has a LANC via the miniplug, but no connection at that "D" jack on the cam. I know the HCA had the miniplug in addition to the "D" connector, but unless the HCC has the miniplug, you'd be looking at some mods to be able to get it to interface - not impossible, but could be a problem if the LANC voltages are different, or if there are other peculiarities between the housing LANC control and the camera... In theory it should work, then again the FP series batteries shoulda worked in the HC7 when modified to fit... they do engineer in some obstacles sometimes...

SO, there's what I CAN tell you, hope it will help in your quest - at least you know what you're facing if you want to try this rig or have someone attempt to mod it for you.

DB>)

Ruth Happel April 6th, 2007 09:29 AM

I have the HC7 and bought the HCB recently when it was on sale at Amazon for $99. I still haven't used it, as I'm spending my time learning the HC7 on dry land first.

I am not sure if this helps answer one of the questions raised here, but it comes with a set of "anti reflex" rings, which I assume are for anti reflection, but they appear from the instructions- written in a hybrid of Japanese and English, to be 25, 62 and 43 mm. I assume it would be easy enough to adapt them to the HC7.

I'm sure when I actually get around to using this, probably later this month, I'll be back with questions about how to actually get it set up.

Dan Collins April 23rd, 2007 04:15 PM

I have received the HCC

I just tried the fit with my HDR-HC7 and it fits and works perfectly. I only wish that it would have been for only the HC7, as it could have been smaller, but I am happy.

Wayne Zebzda April 25th, 2007 11:53 AM

I ended up with the SPK-HCC housing. It works great, the whole rig is light and easy to handle. I recommend a boogie board leash to teather it to your wrist in heavy surf.
Aloha,wz

Mike Gorski April 25th, 2007 02:09 PM

The Epic Cam is a cheap spoof off of www.aquatix.com

I highly suggest an Aquatix waterhousing over an Epic waterhousing. I've had the Aquatix waterhousing and its pretty darn rugged for its price.

Wayne Zebzda May 18th, 2007 02:37 PM

water audio

One more note on the SPK-HCC housing. It has stereo a mic pickup on the housing. I first thought "I don't need this" but last weekend I was hired to tape the Expedia.com Kauai World challenge canoe race in Hawaii from a tiny rocking Zodiac boat, a 32 mile race on the open ocean.
A racer crashed onto the rocks in the heavy surf after cutting the corner too tight and we became a rescue boat. The SPK-HCC mics picked up the subsequent interview with the racer as we boated him to safety. It also picked up the voices of racers in waist deep water who waited onshore to switch (relay style) with incoming canoes.
Worth the price difference.
Aloha,
Wayne Z
www.waynz.com

George Ellis May 18th, 2007 04:07 PM

Wayne, have tried it in surf yet? How big (the real measure, not the new met service size ;) )

//Finished =19, =25 in the 86/87 Morey Boogie Pro Pipeline Invitational

Wayne Zebzda May 21st, 2007 02:26 PM

Aloha George !
I tried it in 2-4 ft surf (back of the wave) at shipwrecks beach, it's almost a shore break, very short ride. I got slammed around pretty good so I handed it off to my 16 yr old son who did way better than I. The housing has a good feel and I found it easy to hang onto one handed, of course you can't use the swing out viewfinder mirror in waves so it's just blind luck shooting. You being a pipeline vet would have no problem!
Best,
Wayne Z

Dan Collins May 21st, 2007 03:07 PM

I used it in Hawaii for the last two weeks and it performed excellently. I also saw the canoe races.

I shot two hours of underwater video snorkling in Molokini and swimming with green sea turtles, and the only criticism I have is that as Wayne said, it is difficult to view the display. i just ended up aiming the entire housing.

It worked pretty well.