DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   Where can I find some good HC7 samples? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/91148-where-can-i-find-some-good-hc7-samples.html)

George Anthonisen April 10th, 2007 07:38 AM

Where can I find some good HC7 samples?

I have the Canon HV20 which I am not REALLY happy with. It has absolutely outstanding picture quality and the 24p... but that's pretty much all it has. It lacks in just about every other department compared to the HC7.

I'd like to see some really good samples of the HC7 and see if it's worth trading over.

Dan Peterson April 10th, 2007 01:55 PM

Here are two links to 3 clips (but they're mostly for lowlight purposes...):

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=86693

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=86986

I've been too busy with a family medical problem to even step outside for a nice well-lit tripod mounted test (for comparison with the plethora of HV20 clips), but I'll do it as soon as I can...

For what it's worth, the HC7 is built SOLID and I really like the feel of it in my hands. I have used the multi-purpose CAM control to change shutter/exposure etc. on the fly and I'm getting the hang of it and it IS really handy (just wish it was bigger and knurled...).
I'm also a first time LANC user with a new tripod I just got. Man, is that nice! (Take that, HV20!) ;)

George Anthonisen April 10th, 2007 02:36 PM

Thanks.

I have the HC3 which of course is built as solid as most other sony cams, and I was shocked at the low quality build of the HV20 when comparing the 2 cams. My wife's first remarks when she picked up the HV20 was... "you paid $1000 for this thing????"

The HV20 is a better quality picture than the HC3 but not by leaps and bounds. So if I was satisfied with the rather complete build of the HC3, I figure I'll get the same satisfaction out of the HC7. But every time I pick up the HV20.... I just shake my head.

Dave Blackhurst April 10th, 2007 03:11 PM

George, if you like the 3, you'll like the 7. Build quality seems to be a common thread with the Canon, although I can't imagine it's all THAT bad. That top hatch is a head scratcher for sure... but can't help but want to try one myself, if just for all the "buzz" <wink>!

The HC7 IS a significant upgrade over the HC3 on all counts: low light, video quality, color reproduction, still quality, viewfinder design, mic/headphone jacks, OIS...

The more I play with it, the more I like it - still learning it's "tricks", but you really have to spend some time with it - the "wow" factor isn't as great as the first HD vs. SD jump, but the incremental improvements are there - I like that the HC7 actually seems to keep up with my trusty old HC1 - the 3 wasn't quite as good, but the compact size made it the cam that got used all the time!

DB>)

George Anthonisen April 10th, 2007 03:30 PM

Well, the HV20 definitely has a top quality clarity to it that just can't be beat and the 24p is fun to play with, but I doubt I'll be using that end of the cam too much.... (not too big on 24p). The fact is that the AMOUNT of clarity increase is not something that you will notice without doing A/B type comparisons.

I just finished a multi cam shoot/edit with the HC3 and the HV20 and although you could tell a SLIGHT difference in the back-to-back indoor clips, there was very little difference in the out door clips.

So although you will take a SMALL, SMALL hit in the quality department if you go from the HC7 to the HV20... IMO you'll also take a rather HUGE hit in build quality, and manual control. And again, IMO.... I'm beginning to think that the quality increase is not worth the other sacrifices made.

Dave Blackhurst April 10th, 2007 04:35 PM

Hi George -

Again, I'll say the higher pixel count of the sensor in the HC7 makes a difference over the HC3 - indoors or out, good or bad light. If you didn't see much difference from the 3 to the HV20, I doubt you'll find the video quality between the HC7 and the HV20 enough to quibble over - different, but both very good.

I'll argue, based on some of the samples I've seen and looked closely at, that the the 7 actually resolves more fine detail than the 20... the reason the 20 looks cleaner and crisper to most is it "sharpens" things a different way, one which has less percieved noise, but less actual detail, which probably is in reality a tad more "pleasing" to the eye. Not sure if that makes sense, but until I have a chance to pick up an HV20 to compare, it's the best I've been able to conclude from other peoples samples. It's not to knock the HV20, because the stuff I've seen from it looks great, and the lack of noise IS pleasing, but I want to experiment with some NR on the HC7 in post - my thought is more detail in = more wiggle room in post...

Go for the HC7 - you won't be unhappy. I will say I thought the LCD and viewfinder don't do the actual recorded video justice - on a 24" WS computer monitor in Vegas, the 7 really looked great! Haven't done anything yet I'm prepared to commit to DVD to see how that turns out, but I expect it to be excellent. My testing so far has only improved my impressions of this camera.

And yes, it's built like a tank.

DB>)

Lee Thomas April 10th, 2007 07:01 PM

Is anyone using the HC7 along side the Z1/FX1...? If so, do they cut together well or do you need to do a lot of tweaking in post to get them to match?

Jack Zhang April 10th, 2007 08:01 PM

I have Z1 footage, but I won't be able to cut them together until I actually get the HC7.

Lee Thomas April 11th, 2007 10:05 AM

When are you planning on getting one? Anytime soon...?

Dave Blackhurst April 11th, 2007 11:43 AM

Lee -
Have both, haven't had the chance to shoot them side by side yet. Have shot HC7 and HC1 side by side - HC7 with xvcolor on has a more vibrant overall look, it's maybe just a tiny bit sharper than the HC1, if you're familiar with that cam.

What is your primary concern in intercutting footage - color, sharpness, or ? There are so many adjustments available between the two cams I'm guessing you should have little problem getting the two pretty close, just haven't had the chance to test yet. indoor/outdoor/studio are of course going to be variables - what's your scenario?

If you're shooting second/third angle with the 7, should be AOK offhand. It won't be like trying to mix a SD cam in... been there done that...

DB>)

Lee Thomas April 11th, 2007 01:31 PM

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking of going HDV and using a Z1U as my main cam and the HC7 as a possible 2nd cam or at least a balcony cam. This would be for weddings primarily. It would be mostly used for ceremony work where lowlight is not that much of a concern (vs. dark receptions), although it would be a plus if it could act as a 2nd cam at a reception scenario if needed.

Thanks again,

Lee

Dave Blackhurst April 11th, 2007 03:52 PM

Hi Lee -

Should be fine for that, or for a front angle cam (or both). That's basically my set up, although I actually like using the smaller "discreet" cams unless the client wants the "big gun", and can afford it (not a high budget area here). Need to do some promotion again and get back in the groove - been pre-occupied with in-house stuff, which is what got me into the cameras in the first place...

Based on my experimentation so far with the low light on the 7, it's looking farily good - the more I fiddle with it the more I see improvements over the HC1 and 3 (just wish they had brought back "the ring"...). I'll be running some lighting tests with the Z1, HC1 and the HC7 in the next few days with any luck - I'll post my impressions, but so far the 7 is impressing me.

I'd recommend some form of lighting even if it's the little 3w Sony on-cam light (or the 10/20w with diffuser). With that, you've got a second "all purpose cam". I've got a bracket rig I think I'm finally pretty happy with that can mount all the accessories and is very stable to shoot with "handheld" - it can get the 10/20w light up and away from the camera at least a little which helps.

Generally the HD cameras are decent in low light despite the complaints of some, and I've noticed that a "little" boost goes a long way in really low light.

I think using a couple small cams for second/third/fourth angle cutaways is a great approach - and these small cameras do amazingly well considering the price point... you can almost buy 3 for the price of one Z1... they just don't "look" quite the part when people hire you <wink>!

DB>)

Jack Zhang April 11th, 2007 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Thomas (Post 658270)
When are you planning on getting one? Anytime soon...?

I'll probably try to cut the footage together as soon as the HC7 comes out in western Canada. I've been waiting almost forever for it, and the JVC HD7 just came out here too.

Wolfgang Winne April 17th, 2007 05:48 AM

<Where can I find some good HC7 samples?>

In my HDV Blog are native HC7 m2t files (PAL) with day and nightshoot. In the next days came there new hdv comparisons files from HV20 and HC7.

in german: http://www.fxsupport.de/20.html [16.04.2007 18:53 Sony UX7 + HC7]

babelfish: http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...t.de%2f20.html

George Anthonisen April 17th, 2007 06:33 AM

Thanks Wolfgang!