DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   Show your HC5/HC7 setup (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/94620-show-your-hc5-hc7-setup.html)

Jack Zhang May 21st, 2007 04:33 PM

Show your HC5/HC7 setup

What the title says.

I'll post mine up (though it probably would just be a camera) as soon as I get mine.

Jack Zhang May 22nd, 2007 04:47 PM

Update: I just ordered my HC7 and it'll be arriving in 2 weeks.

Douglas Spotted Eagle May 22nd, 2007 04:58 PM

Congrats, Jack! We'll be looking forward to some great posts from you then!

Dave Blackhurst May 25th, 2007 04:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
OK, here's the current "maxed out" configuration for my HC7 rig (can ya find the camera in there?!). I have very solid stable control of the camera with this set up, and it looks "hi-tech" enough to impress the average observer.

I usually run the bracket rig, as it folds and is easy to cart along, and helps stabilize handheld video well. I also can attach a Bogen QR so I can go on and off tripod rapidly... this seems to work as well as any stabilizer/steadicam type rig I've used along the way, with a little practice! Takes some concentration, but so do the steadi/glide setups... - and I can roll and re-orient the camera with more flexibility - high and low shots are a matter of how much I can stretch or bend <wink>!

Got the gun/zoom mic on the AIS shoe - haven't really had the time to compare the sound, but it looks cool, so for the pic it was mandatory!

HG0737y glass on the front - I also have the HG0737x glass, and it's lighter - have to adjust the brackets to get the big lens to balance well, but if looks count, that big black lens says "WOOF"

Got a Giottos LANC - the Sony one works a bit better for size, but this one has focus which is handy - still working on the best positioning... but his works pretty well (I can also use the spot focus with the left thumb - works really well with my abbreviated p-menu - very fast and easy access).

The 20DMA light w/diffuser isn't usually mounted - it tends to make the rig less balanced and more top heavy, but as you can see the two cold shoes on the brackets are available for wireless mic or lights as needed - you can also flip these brackets up so the light is horizontal. For a wedding reception "Jaywalking" style, this and a wireless would be mounted.

This same bracket rig works for my HV20, all except the mic and LANC of course, and a Raynox 43mm WA lens.

So there you have it... a tricked out HC7!

Hope that inspires you all with some ideas for your HC7/HV20 rig!

DB>)

Paul Xuereb May 28th, 2007 10:02 AM

HC7 set up

Hi dave,

nice setup and really liked it. can you tell me from where you bought
the hand grip please.

regards

Paul

Dave Blackhurst May 28th, 2007 11:18 AM

The folding grips are made by Siegelite/Stratos - not too many places carry them (google stratos flash bracket), and the new ones are slightly different - the grips are rubber instead of foam now, still quite comfortable, probably more durable - I have a backup set that are the new style - the folding flash brackets are around $20 @, and the flat bracket that I'm using as a bridge between them was around $10 on Ebay... so it's a cheap way to stabilize and add accessory mounts.

Since most of the professional stabilizers will tend to sway unless you're really careful and have balance just right (they all have to fight with inertia, some do it better than others), the bracket rig actually makes it easier to keep your horizon level. I'd rather have a tiny bit of bounce (most of that is taken out by the OIS and your arms though) than the seasick inducing swaying or the hassle of constantly calibrating the rig for perfect balance... I have an older (out of production VS1) small steadycam type rig (only rated to 4 pounds!) that flys this cam perfectly, but it takes time to balance, the brackets take a couple seconds to screw on and go.

Also this setup lowers the center of gravity just enough to help with that issue - you can change angle of the side brackets forward and back to offset any accessories. You don't need the extra weight that too many designs seem to use.

DB>)

Paul Xuereb May 28th, 2007 11:39 AM

Hc7 setup

Hi Dave.

Many thanks for your reply at such speed.

regards paul

George Ellis May 28th, 2007 06:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This does not include the audio (Beachtek DXA-8, AT-835ST), but this is the kit I used to film on my mountain bike (posting a link shortly). The helmet is there, but still waiting for Bone Composites Dbox to attach. Addendum - I forgot that I also have a HCC, but not for the off-road kit.

Bobby Arnold May 28th, 2007 11:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
U/W Setup - need to work on land setup...

Gates HC7 Underwater Housing
Gates ‘Fathom Signature’ Wide Angle Port – WP25
Gates Flat Port - FP25
NiteRider™ HID Pro 20 U/W Video Lights

Simon Jones May 29th, 2007 11:30 AM

Hey Dave, what mic is that? Also how much was it, and where did you get it?

Dave Blackhurst May 29th, 2007 12:58 PM

Sony HGZ1 - stock Sony gun/zoom mic for their proprietary shoe. I got mine cheap on Ebay (patience pays off), but they run around $50+ average.

Seems to be an OK mic, but haven't had a lot of time to fiddle with it and see if it's really good sound wise - definitely improves directionality vs. the internal mics.

DB>)

Simon Jones May 29th, 2007 06:10 PM

Sounds good, thank you!

Simon Jones June 16th, 2007 09:38 AM

Dave how do you mount 2 brackets to the camera? Did the bracket you bought include 2 handles? I dont see how it would be possible to put 2 brackets into one screw-in hole on the bottom of the camera.

Dave Blackhurst June 16th, 2007 04:32 PM

Hi Simon -

The trick is there's a flat bracket bridging between the other two - it has a tripod mount hole, and there's also a thread at the far end of the camera screw slot (most flat brackets have a hole, no threads... this one has threads).

So the way it works is the two folding brackets screw into the flat, and the flat into the camera with a normal mounting screw.

One plus to this is if you run big glass on the front of the cam (WA for instance), you can angle the two folding brackets on the flat one, and change the center of gravity, or move them outboard more if you want. Nice flexibility.

DB>)

Simon Jones June 17th, 2007 09:23 AM

Alright, thats what I figured you did, but I wasnt sure.

Do you know if they sell the flat bridging piece at B&H? I really dont know what to look for and I'm planning on ordering from there. (Basically I want a hot setup like yours :D ) lol

I'll keep searching though.