DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   please comment....advice needed (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/97833-please-comment-advice-needed.html)

Karl Heiner June 29th, 2007 04:40 PM

please comment....advice needed

looking for a small hd camcorder for the upcoming basketball season. my eye fell on the sony hdr-hc7 and the sony dvdirect vrd mc3.
i wonder if anybody has some exspirience even both item are fairly new.

thanks

http://www.provantage.com/sony-hdrhc7~7SNYF007.htm

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.proc...eed.SON+VRDMC3

ps:
budget $ 3 k

Pete Schwab July 4th, 2007 05:12 PM

do already have an editing system in place if need be? that might affect your budget and format decisions. also - is this for an additional camera? i would think multiple cameras would be a must for sporting events.

Karl Heiner July 5th, 2007 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Schwab (Post 707169)
do already have an editing system in place if need be? that might affect your budget and format decisions. also - is this for an additional camera? i would think multiple cameras would be a must for sporting events.

hello pete,

no editing, raw cut, basketball, one camera only, no close ups, just very basic.
it's the hc5 by the way (minidv tape)
the plan is to create a tape, and a dvd right there for the coach.
the camcorder is as you know, brand new, just came out. the main reason i like to go with sony, they offer a lanc connection (tripot remote control zoom etc)
i read somewhere the the master dvd can't be duplicated, looses audio.?

Simon Jones July 5th, 2007 12:43 AM

Why dont you just go the HC7 route? If your budget is 3k the HC7 includes a hotshoe, and from what I've heard the HC7 has better low light quality than the HC3 or HC5.

*Note I do not own the HC7, so take this advice lightly.

(Finally sold my GL-1 today... HC7 only 3 weeks away :D )

Dave Blackhurst July 5th, 2007 10:15 AM

I'd suggest the HC7 over the HC3 or 5 as well - and I do own one (two actually). Higher quality picture, better stills (shoot 3 while filming video, or as many as you want as a still cam).

All three cameras have the Sony proprietary "hotshoe" for accessories. BUT the 7 has the mic and headphone jacks and better IS (than the 3 at least, haven't seen a 5). AND, yes a bit better low light PQ. For the price difference, if budget allows, go with the 7.

Accesorize with a HG WA lens, decent size high speed Memory stick Duo, extra FH70 battery or two, probably the BC-TRP mini wall charger, and if you want, a mic. If shooting in daylight, a polarizer and maybe an ND filter.

Shooting HDV, you'll want to be on a tripod or stabilized somehow (see my bracket setup I use on this camera in earlier postings). LANC on tripod or a Sony or Giottos LANC if you're on brackets/stabilizer.

Can't speak to the DVD burner, but seems like a decent idea!

Karl Heiner July 5th, 2007 09:04 PM

thanks for the input.
just read the comments on http://www.smart-review.com/sonyhc7.html
and they confirm your postings.
i am a tripod shooter only. (canonxl1-s) theater/ studio, live performances only. so, yes everything will be taped of my tripod (bogen remore)

i guess i will go for the hc7. i opt for the sony dvd burner, because i can hand over the dvd to the coach right after the game.

had a sony trc 730 for years, just for basketball customers, unfortunately the tape drive gave up.

Dave Blackhurst July 5th, 2007 10:41 PM

Karl -
One nice thing about the small size is that you don't need a tripod to keep you from tipping over... or just plain old wearing out!

I think if I were shooting action sports type stuff, I'd have this on my bracket rig chasing all over the place - if it's a long shoot, the tripod is good, but the freedom has it's plusses! That's what has really shifted me over to the HC7 - one little bag, grab and go with all the accesories I need, and get great results... and not be worn out at the end of a day from lugging big gear...

DB>)

Karl Heiner July 6th, 2007 11:00 AM

hello dave,

yes, thats the idea, small, no weight, very few to no accessories, and still an acceptable result.
lighting and sound are not an major issue at a basketball court, but to carry my canon set up is...lol (not getting younger)
i also want to get in and out, no more 2 hours early, set up and take down time, well you know.

Dave Blackhurst July 6th, 2007 11:20 AM

Hi Karl -
You'll like the HC7 a lot! I have a kit in an old TRV900 hard case with two 7's and an HV20 - one small box and a couple tripods, and I can hit a location, be set and running in less than half an hour, triple check everything, shoot a wedding multi angle, and be packed and ready to go in nothing flat - one cam drops into a small backpack style bag for handheld pre-ceremony or reception, or whatever other coverage. While I can see that the bigger cams get slightly better video, it's not THAT much better - what you get in a small package is pretty amazing.

DB>)

Karl Heiner July 6th, 2007 11:12 PM

been searching for a good price, and what a difference:

$ 479,99

http://www.lowpricedigital.com/item....23&keyword=hc7

and up to $ 1400 anywhere else.

Chris Harris July 7th, 2007 01:37 AM

We can't really talk about non-sponsor retailers here. On top of that, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is! I'd be very suspicious of any store selling a brand new $1000 camera at 60% off...

http://dvinfo.net/sponsors/index.php

Dave Blackhurst July 7th, 2007 03:22 AM

Karl -
be very suspicious of prices you find on the web that are impossibly cheap... do a little research and you'll find most are scams plain and simple. Call a couple and see if any will actually sell you a real camera for the price quoted - I had one try to tell me their price was for an empty shell... "for someone who might want it to repair" a BRAND NEW CAMERA (HC7)...

There MIGHT be a cut rate seller out there that's legit (anythings possible), but I've seen some discussion that some of these places are actually scamming card #'s... better to find a legit seller and be safe and get legit product... if they are delivering product it also may be grey market - who knows where it came from, and it's virtually always a "bare cam", which they will then try to sell you the neccesary accessories for at inflated prices... wacky stuff, to be sure...

DB>)

PS - do a little research on "NY camera shops"... interesting stuff.

Karl Heiner October 11th, 2007 07:40 PM

today i received my new sony hc7. 2 extra large batts. are in the mail.also in the mail a vztft5.6. and the new hdv sony walkman. as remote i guess i use a bogen 523.

now i am ready for the basketball season.

Karl Heiner October 13th, 2007 12:48 PM

shot a local football game last night to try out the new toy.
this camera has an excellent crispy clear picture.
have to get used to the controls, specially the on screen touch...rec, zoom, focus, on-off threw a remote control. also finding all the settings...lol
for the remote control, lanc which is on the left bottom of the camcorder, i need to get a longer cable, but that is not a big deal.
since i did not know how, i shot in the easy mode. no focus hunting like my xl1-s.
i guess i am ready for the basket ball season

*simon
thanks for the advice to get the hc7

Adam Gold October 13th, 2007 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl Heiner (Post 707720)
i opt for the sony dvd burner, because i can hand over the dvd to the coach right after the game.

Well, not *right* after the game.... if you're burning DVDs from tape, the transfer is real-time. So a 1-hour tape will take 1 hour to burn to DVD. Don't forget to turn i.LINK DOWNCONVERT to ON; while the MC5 can make an HD disc from AVCHD files, I don't think it can do so from HDV tape. The MC3 is strictly SD DVD.

I think it's only with HDD AVCHD cams that the burning is both super-fast and HD.

On another note, if you've got the Bogen/Manfrotto 523Pro Lanc controller, I assume it's mounted to a similarly beefy head on top of a pretty substantial set of legs, which may be much more than you need or feel like carrying around with a cam as small as the HC7. You could consider the Sony RM-870 tripod which is extremely lightweight (someone on another board called it a toy) but will serve as a decent place just to keep the cam while you're not running around with it. I wouldn't raise the center column, of course, but for a small cam it's decent and still has a built-in LANC remote.

And there's no shame in shooting in EASY mode...