DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-HD1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-hd1000/)
-   -   HD1000 vs. HC-9 vs. AC-1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-hd1000/119430-hd1000-vs-hc-9-vs-ac-1-a.html)

David Stoneburner April 14th, 2008 07:08 PM

HD1000 vs. HC-9 vs. AC-1

Setting aside the xlr inputs on the AC-1. Are there any advantages to it vs. the HD1000 or HC-9? Also, other than the bigger body size of the HD1000, is there an image quality difference between it and the HC-9? I'm just trying to figure out which one to go with when I get the funds.

Thanks

Johnnie Caraballo April 14th, 2008 10:14 PM

I believe it has been said that the guts of the HD1000 are the same inards as the HC7. The HC7 has been replaced by the HC9. I would assume that the HC9 is similar in performance as the HD1000.

Looks wise the HC9 will look like your grandma's camera from Best Buy. The HD1000 looks like a camera from a Movie set that cost $10,000!

I guess it all depends on if your going to use that camera as a business charging people money for a service.

David Stoneburner April 15th, 2008 11:04 AM

I'm not really worried about the look at much as I am the quality. The HC-9 has something added to the CMOS technology. Elexmor or something like that. I was wondering if anybody knew what it added if anything. Since this will be my first HD camera for personal use, I'm thinking smaller factor so I can use it for home stuff. I'm torn due to money available, what I would like and what I can afford.

Thanks,

Dave Blackhurst April 15th, 2008 02:30 PM

David -

The HC9 is probably perfect for you if it's for "B" cam or family use. Not sure what an "AC-1" is, but since the HC9 has mic in, you should be able to add a beachtek if you need XLR.

Everything I've heard is that the HD1000 is the guts of the HC7 in a "pro looking" box. This makes as much sense to me as putting a Pinto engine in a Ferrarri... Once you learn to work the controls, the HC7/9 is fairly easy to work with, and I'd rather have the small form factor.

There were rumours that EXMOR and Bionz tech (from the EX1 and Alpha still cams) were integrated into the HC9, but I haven't found anything to confirm that, and from my brief experience with the HC9, I'd tend to say that is just a rumour. Probably some cross pollination in the firmware, but the hardware side is the HC7 I'd be 99.9% certain.

There are some extra features in the HC9, and I do believe the firmware was tweaked and improved a bit over the HC7. I liked the HC9 better, but maybe it was the sexy black finish <wink>. The image quality looked better to me too, more like the CX7 which was released later than the rest of the 7 series. I'm sure there are "refinements" in the HC9.

In the end I voted tapeless with the SR11, which DOES incorporate the EXMOR/Bionz and it shows - I was already sold on AVCHD/tapeless from the CX7, which shares innards with the other 7 series cams, and there's definite (though only noticable to the particularly anal...) improvements in the SR11.

If you are sticking with tape, the HC9 is a good choice - decent manual control, refined HDV (some would say it's at the end of the line, but...), nice size and weight, and you CAN deck it out to look convincingly "pro".

I may pick one up again as a deck, just to access my tape archive if needed, but I've got a big tape cam for that and couldn't justify keeping the little guy with going tapeless. Otherwise, it's a great little camera!

Hope that will help in your quest!

Marc Hangl April 15th, 2008 03:33 PM

hc9 and hd1000

Hi David
I will be ordering a hc9 in the next couple of days as a b camera to my hd1000 as I stupidly got very drunk at our redundancy party at work and left my hc1 in a pub or taxi and there was no sight of it the next day. I will report back when I get it.

David Stoneburner April 15th, 2008 05:34 PM

Thanks for the input. I meant the professional version of the HC-1, I think it's the A1U. I'm looking to spend under 2k. I'm just trying to see which one would work best for the money. I think I'm leaning towards the HC-9. Due to price, quality and workflow, i.e. some professional work and family home video use. My daughter is a competitive dancer and I would like to start shooting in HD. I currently have a GL-1 and a DVC-80, but it would be nice to start shooting in true 16x9 and HD.

Thanks again,

Dave Blackhurst April 16th, 2008 02:27 PM

You can buy TWO HC9's for the price of one A1U. Yeah, you'll need to accessorize a bit, but I'd do that hands down. The sensors in the HC1/A1U arent' bad, but the later cams obviously have some improvements. Not as good control wise, but adequate once you learn them, and the small form factor is really "handy" literally.

Once you see the results in HD, you'll be hooked. There's a learning curve, and stabilizing the cam becomes a much bigger issue, but the results are worth it!

David Stoneburner April 17th, 2008 07:38 AM

Dave,
Thanks for the input. I think I'm seriously looking at the HC-9 for starters and then go from there. At my full time job I have a Z1U that I've been using for a couple of years, so that is why I want to go HD personally. On the side I just shoot some dance recitals, competitions and I've been helping out a church with communion once a year, so having a big professional looking camera is not a big deal to me. I've thought of starting my own production company, but I'm a terrible business man. I'm a sucker for helping people out. I may get an HC-9 as earlier as next month.

Marc,
Please give a report on what you find when you get yours.

Thanks,