Personal "thoughts" for SONY HVR-HD1000 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000

Sony HVR-HD1000
Sony's single-CMOS shoulder mount HDV camcorder.

Old January 17th, 2009, 11:03 PM   #16
Major Player

I agree!

yes i definitely wish it had XLR too but you can get good adapters for a reasonable price and still come in under the cost of many of the other HDV cams out there. But man on board xlr would be nice...
Old January 17th, 2009, 11:12 PM   #17
Archivist for SMECC

is there any kind of a cable/connector that has little transformer ?? hate the box...

is there any kind of a cable/connector that has little transformer ?? hate the box...

See The Communications and Computation Museum at:
Museum Website

See The Glendale Arizona Videosphere - KKAT-TV At:
Glendale Daily Planet KKAT-TV CouryGraph Productions

Click For Red Camera In Action
Ed Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #18
Major Player

Under other circumstances, in a pinch, with a different camera (do you like all the disclaimers) i once used a patch cable that was xlr to 1/4 trs male and then used an adapter to go from 1/4 female to 1/8 male to connect to the camera. So it is possible to do but I wouldn't recommend it because you have no way to control (attenuate) the signal so if the source gets too amped you could blow your input. FWIW...
Old January 17th, 2009, 11:26 PM   #19
Archivist for SMECC

line levels

yes.... the mult boxes i plug into seem to have selectable line/ mic position... yea... do not want to feed a line level signal into the cameras mic jack! boom....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Daugherty View Post
Under other circumstances, in a pinch, with a different camera (do you like all the disclaimers) i once used a patch cable that was xlr to 1/4 trs male and then used an adapter to go from 1/4 female to 1/8 male to connect to the camera. So it is possible to do but I wouldn't recommend it because you have no way to control (attenuate) the signal so if the source gets too amped you could blow your input. FWIW...

Museum Website

Old January 17th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #20
Major Player

yes that experiment I tried was a desperate act in a remote location, knowing what I know now i would never try it again... God watches over fools and children (most of the time...)
Old January 19th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Bryan,

How does this camera work for receptions? Do you typically run a light on the camera? I am looking to replace my DVC7 with something that shoots HD and native 16:9. I also have a JVC HD1 and it tends to be way too bright outside in sunlight, any issues like that with the Sony?

Thanks
Adam Haro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #22
Archivist for SMECC

dark rooms and the 1000

I use one of the sony lights that has all the leds in it.. uses same batt as camera so I am only stocking one batt type.... I am a news shooter and although I normally do not shoot weedings I am in many of the same type lighting condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Haro View Post
Bryan,

How does this camera work for receptions? Do you typically run a light on the camera? I am looking to replace my DVC7 with something that shoots HD and native 16:9. I also have a JVC HD1 and it tends to be way too bright outside in sunlight, any issues like that with the Sony?

Thanks

Museum Website

Old January 19th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Haro View Post
...How does this camera work for receptions? Do you typically run a light on the camera? ...too bright outside in sunlight, any issues like that with the Sony?
Good question with a tricky answer. It does not generally handle low light situations well. I do use a Bescor MPL 635 interview light with barndoors and dimmer switch when needed. I have found ways to make it work but last fall I shot a wedding where the reception was in the couple's backyard under a tent lit with those rope Xmas lights and nothing else. In the sunlight or under professional lighting this thing is awesome. Below are some raw screengrabs from that wedding as the night progressed. You can see how things got more hairy as the night progressed.

Afternoon sun

Around dusk

Deep into the night - on camera light on 2nd camera at 90 degrees from this vantage

I fixed the grain and aberrations in post but it does a great job in the right conditions. Hope that helps!
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:35 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Thanks Bryan.
The first picture definitely looks nice. It seems to behave about the same as my DVC7 in lower light but with better definition. Very rarely do I shoot a reception without my 50watt camera light so I don't think it would be too big a deal.
How bright a light were you using? So the third pic only has light from the second camera? How would it look if the light was on the HD1000?
Old January 20th, 2009, 01:17 AM   #25
Major Player

If you look up on the tent behind the B & G you can see the lighting they provided. The only additional lighting was my on cam light at about 75% power on a 50watt bulb but that % is approximate because I was only looking for a balance to give you an idea of how my PD170 saw the same image. This is a screen grab from my 170.

So if the low light champ saw it this way than you can imagine how dark it was...

Here is side by side. Granted I corrected it before delivery but this is what has me leaning toward the FX1000 or Z5 for my next purchase
Old January 20th, 2009, 02:13 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Thanks Bryan, I appreciate you taking the time to post the screen grabs. I'd say all things considered the HD1000 seems to perform pretty well for a 1 chip camera. I might just pick one up with the idea of making it a second cam to a better 3 chip camera down the road.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 01:22 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Right Gear with "RIGHT PAY!"

I must said it; "With Right Gear come with right PAY!

we hired 2 fresh video assistants for wedding shoot with HD1000 and they found it very Handy to used and the most important part we get the job done without much time in training and guiding.

This HD1000, i strongly recommend for Entry-Level & Semi pro videographer in tight budget.
we managed to used it for multiple cam in "LCD Live-feed & recording, performed great!

How many of you use SONY PMW-EX3 XDCAM EX HD Camcorder (Cost USD8k) for the wedding?

For situation like "Bryan Daugherty" we normally use spot light 600Watt and mix with dance/disco lighting or stage light setup, that will make you show and video looks good!

If you really into wedding business, Lights is 1 of the major and put in consideration point, not just you carry camcorder and start shooting!...

So you guys think "should i get "SONY PMW-EX3 XDCAM" for my next purchase list?
Old January 22nd, 2009, 02:20 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kiu View Post
So you guys think "should i get "SONY PMW-EX3 XDCAM" for my next purchase list?
A EX3 is a total different class of camera compared to the hd1000 and there is no comparison between the two. if you have the budget for a ex3 you can't go wrong with it, eventhough it's not a real shouldercam with some shouldersupport add ons it's easily converted into on.

Only you won't be able to hand the camera over to your videoassistents and hope it will be OK, this camera needs a lot more experience or practice compared to a hd1000 to be able to controll it right.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 09:00 AM   #29
Major Player

Andrew, I am saving money for an FX7 at first I was gunning for the HD1000 but I am having concerns about the single cmos. I light the reception the same way you do, 2 Tota Lights @ 500w each plus a sun gun, would you mind posting a clip of the reception? I would be saving $ 900 bucks if I were to go with the HD1000, I can buy an HV20 as a second camera or an entry level glidecam with that money.

Thanks in advance.
Noel Lising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 09:42 AM   #30
Regular Crew

***3CMOS always 1st Choice !

Noel, i will recommended you go for FX7 if you have budget for it. Picture quality are always concern if you compared with Single CMOS to 3CMOS FX7 especially in Low-light situation. if FX7 is your 1st Camcorder into Business, i strongly suggested you go with FX7, and in future when you get extra bucks then consider HD1000 as a 2nd cam.

i will try my best if possible to post video clip for HD1000.
thanks

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000