DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-HD1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-hd1000/)
-   -   HD1000U vs. HV30 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-hd1000/125045-hd1000u-vs-hv30.html)

Kurtis Chen June 30th, 2008 03:17 PM

HD1000U vs. HV30

For shooting a feature film, would the HD1000U be better or the HV30. Lots of people tell me to just get what I can afford, but the HV30 has some important features for emulating the film look, like 24p or the Cinemode.

Thanks in advance.

James McBoyle July 2nd, 2008 04:40 AM

I ordered an HD1000 after finding myself with a similar choice, but having a different focus.

I think the best advice I can give would be to make a list of what you need, what you would like, and what would be nice to have, then fit what both cameras can do against that list. I don't think either choice would be a bad one myself, but you'll most likely find one fits your needs better than the other once you know what those needs are.

Kurtis Chen July 3rd, 2008 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James McBoyle (Post 902043)
I ordered an HD1000 after finding myself with a similar choice, but having a different focus.

hmm, just interested, what was your focus?

James McBoyle July 3rd, 2008 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurtis Chen (Post 902739)
hmm, just interested, what was your focus?

I'm videoing football (soccer) matches, and also going to be doing some documenting of the team's move into their new home. In addition I want to learn to shoot using professional equipment, even if I never work in the industry proper. Now, the hv30 will do all that, and well, but I felt the hd1000 fit what I wanted to do more completely.

William Hohauser July 4th, 2008 08:22 PM

Feature film? What do you mean by that? Are you expecting to transfer to actual film stock in the future or do you just want the "look"?

If you want "film" frame rates, the NTSC version of the HD1000 will not do it for you. If you want to simulate a "film-look", the HD1000 can get by with the shutter set at 30 frames and maybe a softening filter on the lens. The PAL version of the camera is a different story, perhaps someone here can answer the question.

Kurtis Chen July 5th, 2008 12:21 PM

By feature film I mean the "look".

If I were to purchase the PAL version, wouldn't there be compatibility issues with our North American equipment?

William Hohauser July 5th, 2008 05:34 PM

There is a compatibility issue with PAL but it's not insurmountable. Your computer programs should be able to convert the footage into NTSC.

But since the "look" is what you want, the HD1000 can simulate the look if you shoot with the shutter at 1/30 of a second which works like 30p. This gives the image a blur and frame rate close enough to 24 fps for many situations. It's not 24p and can't be successfully transfered to film later. The frame rate differences are too much for a proper transfer from 30 to 24. 24 can go into 30 however. Filters can help create a film-like contrast ratio as well but I'm not familiar with which filters work best for the HD1000.

Philip Williams July 6th, 2008 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurtis Chen (Post 901186)
For shooting a feature film, would the HD1000U be better or the HV30. Lots of people tell me to just get what I can afford, but the HV30 has some important features for emulating the film look, like 24p or the Cinemode.

Thanks in advance.

If you're really, really interested in shooting a feature film, then there's really no debate. You get the 24P camera. In this case the more expensive cam isn't targeted towards your particular shooting goals, so there's no reason to worry about the fact that it costs more. A Ferrari costs more than an F150 but if its time to haul the lawn clippings to the land fill the cheaper vehicle is probably the better choice.

Consider yourself lucky, the money you save on the HV30 can be put towards a proper tripod, microphone, or whatever other items you'll need to produce quality work.

Good luck!