DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-HD1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-hd1000/)
-   -   HD1000 for Football Coaches Film (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-hd1000/125259-hd1000-football-coaches-film.html)

Jeff Kolada July 3rd, 2008 11:08 AM

HD1000 for Football Coaches Film

Our high school athletic department is looking for a new camera to do coaches tape (game coverage) for the football games, and the HD1000 is at the top of their list. I was wondering from anyone who has used this camera, a few things. Keep in mind the camera will mostly be sitting on a tripod on/in the press box, panning back and forth with the game.

1. How is the performance in low light situations? This will be used for quite a bit of night football games (under the lights). This includes auto focus in low-light situations.
2. How easy is it to use for inexperienced users? I have no clue who is going to be shooting, but my best bet is they'll have a parent up on the press box sitting behind the tripod moving it back and forth.

Thanks,
-Jeff

Harold Schreiber July 3rd, 2008 03:41 PM

Hi Jeff,

I can't comment about that Cam, but I do have a suggestion that you consider using a HDD DVD Recorder unit, and put the Cam's signal into it Via FireWire, so you gan make as many DVD's as needed very quickly, along with making the Tape for archiving.

It would be best to get someone set up to do this on a regual basis, to get useable results.

Phillips and Panasonic make units that work well. I've got two of each make.

I've got other suggestions for that kind of Videography, if interested.

I did this for a season of Soccer, and it worked very well. Also do it for Horse Shows.

Harold

Adam Gold July 4th, 2008 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Kolada (Post 902719)
1. How is the performance in low light situations? This will be used for quite a bit of night football games (under the lights). This includes auto focus in low-light situations.

It's okay but not great. It'll hunt for focus a lot unless you lock it on manual, and it's going to want to add tremendous gain.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Kolada (Post 902719)
2. How easy is it to use for inexperienced users?

It's pretty easy but it was really designed to be a shoulder mount cam used at wider angles. You'll likely be zoomed in quite a bit and if you're on a tripod (and good for you; you should be) then you should consider a different form factor, like that of the FX1 or FX7, if you can stretch your budget. Even in full auto these cams will outperform the HD1000.

I like my HD1000 a lot, but it's good for some things and not for others. My FX1s make lovely pictures under night lighting for soccer games, but in theatrical lighting situations the tape from the FX1s and FX7s was markedly superior to that from the HD1000, which had trouble with focus and graininess due to a lot of gain.

Duane Steiner July 4th, 2008 03:28 PM

I agree with Adam, maybe see if you can get a FX1 or FX7. Or maybe a Canon A1. Those will be better in low light and offer more control. The HD1000 uses a menu system with the LCD so it is not the easiest to access the controls if needed. But if you do go for the HD1000 make sure you get a good tripod and maybe also a LANC.

William Hohauser July 4th, 2008 08:28 PM

I seen a few very well lit high school football fields and I believe the camera will do fine in these situations. It has to get pretty dark for the camera to lose it's auto-focus but there are better cameras in low light situations. Actually the Sony consumer version of this camera is slightly better! It must be the heavier lens on the HD1000 that cuts down on the light.

It should work fine and it's very easy for a beginner to learn the basics.

Adam Gold July 5th, 2008 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Hohauser (Post 903286)
Actually the Sony consumer version of this camera is slightly better!

That's an excellent point. The HD1000 is basically an HC7 -- same imagers, same tape transport, similar optics -- so an HC7 or HC9 should fill the bill quite nicely for you and be cheaper besides.

But the longer zoom on the FX7 -- now available on the Sony Online Outlet as a refurb for the exorbitant price of $2849 -- will be very helpful doing sports from a distance.

Robert M Wright July 6th, 2008 07:26 PM

Seems to me an HV20 or HV30 would work better. The instant auto focus works very well.

An XH-A1 would be an even better choice, if you have the budget for it.

Jeff Kolada July 7th, 2008 08:51 AM

thanks

thanks all, I appreciate the help. I think the people more in charge are actually getting a PTZ camera that they are just going to mount onto the press box, and have it connected to a DVR or deck or something. I don't think its a good idea, and their original goal of better quality just went down the drain real quick, but they feel it will be better. Whatever. Thanks again,
-Jeff

William Hohauser July 7th, 2008 01:04 PM

A PTZ camera? Well there goes the quality. I install these for laboratories and quite frankly the single chip models are not good for a football game except for the most crude recordings. Sony makes a decent PTZ camera but after the cost of the camera and the controller, you have spent more then the HD1000 with a great tripod. And you still need someone to run it. One thing about PTZ cameras is that nobody wants to steal them.