DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-HD1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-hd1000/)
-   -   Cleaning up Image Noise in Post (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-hd1000/279943-cleaning-up-image-noise-post.html)

Bryan Daugherty January 5th, 2010 07:04 PM

grain removal in a 64-bit install of vegas 9

1 Attachment(s)
So I am wrapping a wedding edit (Shot on my HD1000U and PD170) and have a few scenes with horrendous color noise issues. I have upgraded to a Win 7 64-bit machine and from what i can tell, NeatVideo is only for a 32-bit install. Do you guys have any recommendations for correcting this? Thanks!

Andrew Smith January 6th, 2010 01:17 AM

32-bit software should still run on the 64-bit Windows 7, via it invoking "XP mode".

Have you tried getting it to install?

Andrew

Bryan Daugherty January 7th, 2010 12:42 AM

Unfortunately my system crashes when i enable VM in the bios and according to the manufacturer (EVGA) forum this is a known issue without support at this time. So I cannot install the XP virtual machine mode. Is there something close to NeatVideo for a 64 bit system?

Andrew Smith January 7th, 2010 01:48 AM

Would it be easier to install it on a friends computer and use that one for the video processing?

Andrew

Bryan Daugherty January 7th, 2010 08:22 PM

Andrew,
Thanks for your thoughts. I am guessing since no one else is chiming in with ideas that there isn't anything else that comes close. Guess I will dust off my old XP core 2 quad machine and run it through on that. I was really hoping there was something else or that a 64-bit version existed even though it wasn't on the website...

Andrew Smith January 7th, 2010 08:26 PM

Not to worry. At least you are able to get the job done rather than hitting a dead-end.

Kinda interesting how we all work with the idea that everything should be achievable on a single computer.

Andrew

Bryan Daugherty January 7th, 2010 08:40 PM

Not to get too far off-topic but I say we should be able to do it all on one computer that is a tablet laptop weighing no more than 3 lbs. with 72 hrs of battery life, dual i7 processors and 24 GB of ram with full hdmi/7.1 surround out has a BD-r DL burner and costs less than $500. But as you pointed out dreams and reality are often very different.

I just hate going back to the C2Q machine because it is so much slower when working with the HDV clips...

Heck as long as we are dreaming, I wish Sony would give us faithful HD1000U users free upgrades to an HD2000U that had XDCAM EX and 3 huge CMOS sensors and low-light capability to rival my old pd170...but I will stick to my HD1000U and just try to figure out better ways to fix this in post. :)

Rob Morse January 18th, 2010 05:09 PM

It takes along time to render so maybe you're better off with the second computer.

Robert M Wright January 23rd, 2010 10:03 AM

MSU's denoising filter (for VirtualDub) is one of the best I've ever seen.

MSU Denoiser Filter

J. Chris Moore January 23rd, 2010 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan Daugherty (Post 1468446)
So I am wrapping a wedding edit (Shot on my HD1000U and PD170) and have a few scenes with horrendous color noise issues. I have upgraded to a Win 7 64-bit machine and from what i can tell, NeatVideo is only for a 32-bit install. Do you guys have any recommendations for correcting this? Thanks!

Hey man I feel your pain. We recently upgraded to macs here at the studio so now all is well, but before we had a pc with xp 64 on it and there were days when I wanted to throw it in the street. We were constantly running into compatibility issues with the 64 bit platform. I understand the industry is moving toward 64 bit OS but for me at this point I don't see a real gain in performance over the 32 bit stuff. Snow Leopard can boot in 64 when I want to but for now we're sticking to 32. Hope you figure it all out and you have better luck with 64 than me.

Bryan Daugherty January 24th, 2010 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J. Chris Moore (Post 1476186)
Hey man I feel your pain. We recently upgraded to macs here at the studio so now all is well, but before we had a pc with xp 64 on it and there were days when I wanted to throw it in the street. We were constantly running into compatibility issues with the 64 bit platform. I understand the industry is moving toward 64 bit OS but for me at this point I don't see a real gain in performance over the 32 bit stuff. Snow Leopard can boot in 64 when I want to but for now we're sticking to 32. Hope you figure it all out and you have better luck with 64 than me.

We see a huge performance boost in working with HD clips in a 64-bit environment. The additional ram really speeds up rendering and has made a huge difference in preview playback. The 64-bit compatibility can be an issue, though.

Bryan Daugherty January 24th, 2010 08:03 PM

NeatVideo Pro has a 64-bit version.

So I reached out to the technical staff at NeatVideo and here is what they had to say:

Quote:

Pro : commercial version ($99.90); 32-bit AND 64-bit;

32-bit plug-in works in Vegas Pro 9 / 8 / 7 / 6 (32-bit)
and Vegas Movie Studio 9 / 8 / 7 / 6;

64-bit plug-in works in Vegas Pro 9 / 8.1 (64-bit)

So, the 64-bit plug-in, which works in Vegas 9 Pro 64-bit, is currently available only in the commercial Pro edition.

If you want to evaluate the quality of the Neat Video noise reduction before purchase please consider testing the free Demo plug-in in a 32-bit version of Vegas. Both 32-bit Vegas and 32-bit Neat Video Demo plug-in can be installed and used in any Windows, 32-bit or 64-bit one.

We will probably add 64-bit support to non-Pro editions of Neat Video plug-in in the future as 64-bit Vegas and Vegas Movie Studio become more widespread as compared with 32-bit versions.

Hope this helps,
Vlad

Support, Neat Video team, ABSoft
mailto:support@neatvideo.com http://www.neatvideo.com
They also sent me this link for more information.

http://www.neatvideo.com/news.html#N...-bit-2009-6-26

So the lesson here is, as great as DVInfo is for information, sometimes you need to go to the source. I should also note that I got both replies in approx 30 min after sending inquiry on a Sunday night. Talk about great support! Top notch product and support, gotta love it.

J. Chris Moore January 26th, 2010 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan Daugherty (Post 1476749)
We see a huge performance boost in working with HD clips in a 64-bit environment. The additional ram really speeds up rendering and has made a huge difference in preview playback. The 64-bit compatibility can be an issue, though.

Even in 64 bit, an iMac that has a 8gig ram limit can't use more than 8 gigs right? That was my understanding at least.

Bob Grant January 27th, 2010 04:21 AM

For anyone using Vegas that needs noise reduction Mike Crash has a number of free plugins ported from the best of the open source ones including a noise reduction plugin. I haven't tried the Neat Video plugin but those that have tried both claim Mike's is as good if not better. For the price it's certainly worth a try: Mike Crash Homepage - Content

As for the HD1000, I have the HC5 which is pretty much the same camera. We use it to shoot stage productions a B cam next to my EX1. Most of those sample shots look overexposed to some extent. Try setting Scene Selection to Spotlight. We go further and set EV Offset to -1.

Bryan Daugherty February 1st, 2010 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J. Chris Moore (Post 1477498)
Even in 64 bit, an iMac that has a 8gig ram limit can't use more than 8 gigs right? That was my understanding at least.

I am not sure about macs since I don't use them. I believe the O/S limit for Windows 7 Ultimate is 192GB but my motherboard maxes out at 24GB. I am currently running 12GB of ram until the price comes down on the 4GB ram sticks.

Bob,
I really like Mike Crash's plug-ins but have not re-installed them since upgrading systems. I will have to see if they are 64-bit install compatible. Thanks for the reminder.