DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   Need Help selecting New Camcorder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/120474-need-help-selecting-new-camcorder.html)

Rod Bourne April 28th, 2008 04:28 AM

Need Help selecting New Camcorder

I currently own and use a Sony HDR-HC3. I am contemplating the purchase of of either a HDR-FX7 or the HDRV1U...

Will I see a noticeable difference in picture quality from what I currently have?

Chris Medico April 28th, 2008 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod Bourne (Post 868708)
I currently own and use a Sony HDR-HC3. I am contemplating the purchase of of either a HDR-FX7 or the HDRV1U...

Will I see a noticeable difference in picture quality from what I currently have?

Yes. I have a HC3 that I use along with a V1U. The picture is different between them. The HC3 seem a bit soft in comparison and the V1U has better contrast and dynamic range for sure. Its not too hard to match them up with some color correction in post as long as you don't play with the GAMA settings on the V1U too much. The FX7 is no longer in production so unless you find one languishing in a stock room somewhere or a buy a used one, the V1U is the only choice of the two. It is a considerable upgrade from the HC3.

Adam Gold April 28th, 2008 11:42 AM

If you can't find an FX7 and don't want to spring for the extra cost of a V1, you could consider an FX1.

Hugh Mobley April 28th, 2008 12:36 PM

I have a V1 and it can do everything I need except very low light. I have comparitive clips on the V1 and overland threads,

John Cash April 28th, 2008 01:29 PM

I shoot with a V1U and an HDR-HC7. Yes it is noticeably differnt. Seems the Hc7 is softer, not as crisp.

If you dont mind buying used I would recommed an FX1 as others have stated. A little better in low light than the V1U

Rod Bourne April 30th, 2008 04:33 AM

Appreciate all the comments and good advice..

I see the FX-1 is no longer available... Did the V1 essentially replace it?

Colin Zhang April 30th, 2008 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod Bourne (Post 869885)
I see the FX-1 is no longer available... Did the V1 essentially replace it?

EDIT: The FX1 is still available. If you're talking about the FX7, the same applies (see below)

Kinda sorta...
The V1 is not a replacement, it is a different cam altogether. The FX1 was the consumer version of the Z1. and of course the FX7 was the consumer version of the V1.

Ken Campbell May 1st, 2008 12:51 AM

I have a pair of Canon HV20s and bought the V1e early this year. While the HV20s are heralded for their image quality and low light capabilities, they are no match for the V1. Yes, the V1 is just as good in low light as the HV20 when gain (and grain) is factored in.

The difference is the same when you compare better consumer compact photo cameras to better digital SLR cameras. So, if you really need the extra detail and manual control the V1 (or a used FX7) won't dissapoint.

I am happy with my V1 and having full manual control over focus, gain and iris makes a big difference in the final video shot.

Rod Bourne February 10th, 2009 06:40 AM

New Camera

My New FX-1000 should be arriving today!

Martyn Hull February 11th, 2009 03:14 AM

HC-1 ,FX-7 ,SR12 the FX-7 is great for wildlife with its long lens and d-extender.As far as pq goes the SR-12S color is the winner for me while in tests sharpness between the FX and SR is too close to call.

Garry Moore February 20th, 2009 10:26 PM

I'm sure you'll be very happy with the FX-1000