DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   Which spider brace with the v1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/142766-spider-brace-v1.html)

Leonie Reynolds January 30th, 2009 03:54 PM

Which spider brace with the v1?

Have read lots of good things about the spider brace and am planning to get one to shoot handheld with my v1.

Wondering which model spiderbrace would be better for this camera - the Spiderbrace 2 or the mini-rig?

Is it possible to shoot using the LCD screens with both these braces?

And to reach up and toggle autofocus and autoexposure on/off? Would rather not spend the $ on a LANC controller if I can help it.

Thanks.

Seth Bloombaum January 30th, 2009 05:49 PM

I've been using the Spiderbrace 2 with a V1, and have been pretty happy with it, especially for the price.

Yes, I usually shoot with the LCD.

Umm... reaching up and toggling things during a shot? That's a big maybe - depending on your shooting style and what you shoot. The camera is still way out in front of your shoulder, the weight is equally on your hands as your shoulder, so, if you take a hand off for adjustments you're going to have to compensate with your other hand, the new weight it's bearing will tend to want to rotate your hand inward. I've never really done much with this - if I'm doing long, continuous takes that's usually on a tripod.

I almost always use a Lan-C control for tripod work; it's the handiest thing ever. I don't have one that will pop autofocus on and off, that would be handy. I almost never shoot in autoexposure, I'd rather reach up and adjust iris manually - the histogram display is the best exposure guide on any camera I've used.

Overall I've liked the spiderbrace. Sometimes, I travel by air; I've wished that all three pieces came apart - instead, only the left-most brace that sticks out to the side comes off for packing.

Graham Hickling January 30th, 2009 11:17 PM

The 4th picture at this link shows a FX7 on a spiderbrace mini (it has already sold so this isn't a gratuitous plug): Manfrotto 521Pro Lanc Remote, with Spiderbrace - eBay (item 120365643039 end time Jan-25-09 15:10:18 PST) (The other pictures show it with a smaller HC1.)

I found it to be a good combination of compact while allowing use of the LCD etc.

However ... taking a hand off to 'reach up' is definitely problematic - the tubes are quite smooth and the uneven weight will give the rig a strong tendancy to rotate when used one-handed.

Oh and ... you dont necessarily have to spend big bucks on a Lanc controller - there's a $28 version commonly on EBay that works OKish.

Leonie Reynolds January 31st, 2009 02:17 PM

going with spiderbrace 2

OK thanks guys, sounds like the 2 is probably going to be the best bet for me.

D.J. Ammons January 31st, 2009 06:43 PM

Like the others we use the spider brace 2. It is a great piece of equipment. Probably the most bang for the buck of any accessory.

I have read criticism concerning its pvc construction but if you understand it is not steel or aluminum and treat it accordingly you will benefit from it's extremely light weight.

My cameraperson uses it to record long music sets and gets great shots with minimum fatigue.