DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   HVR V1E White Balance Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/144675-hvr-v1e-white-balance-question.html)

John Harrison February 26th, 2009 12:12 PM

HVR V1E White Balance Question

Every time I white balance it seems totally off, very blue on A or B

Using the indoor and outdoor settings by eye its fine (but i dont feel comfortable relying on an lcd, keep expecting it to be all wrong in post) but trying to do it properly with a white card and its terrible (very cold) ... seriously have i set something wrong

And as Im here, anyone reccomend a set of filters for effects that fits the V1

Victor Wilcox February 26th, 2009 12:53 PM

Sorry if this is a dumb question. Are you using a white source to setup A & B? They're custom white balance settings and must be set with a white card or some other white referance.

John Harrison February 26th, 2009 12:57 PM

Yep using a white card still never looks quite right, always looks a touch blue/cold .... wrong

Tom Hardwick February 26th, 2009 01:41 PM

Probably better to w/bal off a photographic grey card - that way your w/bal won't be influenced by any artificial whiteners in the paper. You can white balance of anything from pure white to jet black of course.

tom.

Claire Watson February 26th, 2009 02:51 PM

I too initially had a blue cold image with my V1, the footage needed colour correction in post.

Having tried all the settings available on the camera for colour in addition to a plain piece of white paper I also had a piece of Epson glossy photo paper which did prove to do the trick. That was a year or more ago and since then I have had consistantly reliable results, just a nice slight hint of warmth. I carry that folded up piece of Epson paper in my camera bag at all times, should I ever need it again.

So you do need to experiment with the paper type also I can't now remember if it was direct sun I used or perhaps a bit of shade, you do need to experiment.

You also need to rely on your monitor of course, mine is a domestic HDTV set driven with the correct colour signal not from a standard computer video card but a Canopus NX, so what I see while editing is what the end user will see if they have an up to date telly.

Stephan Stryhanyn February 26th, 2009 04:31 PM

Random color casts too with the FX7 when white balancing outdoors (slight magenta or stronger red for instance), even when using a decent X-Rite white card. I now essentially resort to the built-in indoor/outdoor presets and don't try to use manual WB anymore.

Don't really rely on the LCD, as it won't display accurate colors. If you want to secure CC in post, just take a reference shot with a gray scale, so as to help with the 3-way color corrector (the 3-step X-Rite gray card is nice).

Seth Bloombaum February 27th, 2009 11:47 AM

Also assure that you're not shooting in one of the picture profile modes that changes colors, and that your custom preset is at default for color temp... Either of these could affect WB as recorded.

How do the presets for indoors and outdoors look?