DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   Century Optics 0.55x - Anyone got one? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/465442-century-optics-0-55x-anyone-got-one.html)

John Knight October 10th, 2009 01:41 PM

Century Optics 0.55x - Anyone got one?

Hi folks, this subject has arisen a few times in the past but quickly strayed off topic.

Currently I am using my FX-7 with the Raynox XL-5000PRO 0.5x wide angle adaptor which has the handy 'snap-on mount'. I'm no longer happy with the tightness of the snap-on fit the lens gives - or the softness around the edges. I don't mind the slight barrel distortion it gives - actually it's quite a funky hint of fish-eye and works well in wedding shoots.

I'm about to upgrade to the Century Optics 0.55x lens - OHD-55WA-SH6 (bayonet mount)

I've read mixed reviews about the sharpness of the 0.65x lens (bigger size - same mount - not as wide)

Does anyone own / comment / recommend the Century Optics 0.55x lens - esp in regard to edge sharpness?

John Wiley October 12th, 2009 08:24 AM

Can't comment on that particular lens but I have used a Century 2x and it was awesome, best conversion lens I ever used. None of the chromatic abberations or softenss I've had with other convertors.

Unfortunatle I was only borrowing it and can't afford Century optics myself.

I am interested in the raynox, though. Is it up to the task of capturing HD? I can live with a bit of edge softness as long as the centre is nice and sharp. Does it suffer from alot of CA and fringing? Does the XL-5000 vignette at all on the FX7? And what do you mean by the "tightness of the snap on fit..."?

Cheers,
John

Chris McMahon October 12th, 2009 12:37 PM

The lens snaps directly onto the FX7's sunshade. I'm guessing that he means that the fit's gotten looser over time.

John Knight October 12th, 2009 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Wiley (Post 1430976)
I am interested in the raynox, though. Is it up to the task of capturing HD? I can live with a bit of edge softness as long as the centre is nice and sharp. Does it suffer from alot of CA and fringing? Does the XL-5000 vignette at all on the FX7? And what do you mean by the "tightness of the snap on fit..."?

Hi John. I've been happy with the Raynox up to now, but are getting more picky with things. To attach to the FX7 you remove the lens hood, compress the two side buttons and release so that the plastic nodes clamp outward againest the inner ring of the lens. The plastic nodes wear over time and the fit has become sloppy. If it's not seated correctly, you get blurry sides - sometimes not picked up if whipping it on and off (event filming).

Here is a wedding using the FX7

Bear in mind I've added a custom black Photoshop vignette. You should be able to pick the shots I've got the Raynox on...

Opening shots are without - most of the 'getting dressed' shots are with it on.

John Wiley October 12th, 2009 05:38 PM

Thanks Jack, looks like it should stand up to my needs.

I freaked out a bit when I first saw the vignetting but then read that you added it in post!

John Knight October 20th, 2009 10:00 PM

Hmmm.... 174 views and nobody can say they own one?

Oh well, just ordered it. Will post a report when it arrives in 6 weeks.

Leslie Wand October 20th, 2009 10:07 PM

will be interested in your views.....

i'm using a kit sony .8 - ok, but would like a bit more.....

Mike Beckett October 21st, 2009 01:52 AM

I'm probably about 6 of those views... but I suspect there's a lot of curious people who can't add much!

I ditched the Sony WA because of the bulk, and went for a Red Eye 0.7x - light, easily carried, not much bigger than a regular lens filter, and it fits under the stock V1 hood. (Just check the overscan display to make sure your mic doesn't stray into shot.)

Of course, there's some barrel distortion, and maybe a wee bit of softness in the egdes, but it's half the price, a tenth of the size and a bit wider than the Sony 0.8x. They do 0.4x and 0.5x versions as well, but I haven't tried those.

I have now strayed quickly off topic... sorry!