DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   HVR-V1 replacement (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/520222-hvr-v1-replacement.html)

Manohar Hegde November 22nd, 2013 11:17 AM

HVR-V1 replacement

I am thinking of trading my Sony HVR-V1 which is 3 years old to a digital format video. This has a very low hours. Operations 14 x 10h, Drum 12 x 10h, Tape run 10 x 10h and Threading 18 x 10h. I am looking to buy a digital format video camera. Any suggestions. Also if anyone knows where can I trade my Sony HVR-V1U.

Thanks

Adam Gold November 22nd, 2013 10:24 PM

Re: HVR-V1 replacement

The V1 is digital. All HD is. What features does it lack that you are looking to gain? This will help us with recommendations.

Do you mean tapeless? If you want to stay with Sony so you can re-use many of the same accessories and stay with familiar ergonomics, the next step is probably the NX5.

Or you could just get the MRC1k and use that on your V1 and forget about tape forever. Or use both tape and card together with it.

David Barnett November 23rd, 2013 08:10 AM

I have a Z5U & the MRC1 has been awesome. Just picked it up this past year but moving to the tapeless workflow while keeping my same camera that I know & love. It'll give me another couple years out of it, maybe more.

If you are still looking to move on from the camera, you really need to give us some parameters. (ie, Price range, what you shoot etc). Sony has some DSLR cameras now like the VG30, but you may not want interchangeable lenses. Or possibly an EA-50. TBH tho, you won't get much on a trade in, yet selling a Mini-DV tape camera on Craigslist is probably next to impossible too. Investment-wise, the MRC1 seems logical, unless you just are done with the camera.

Manohar Hegde November 25th, 2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Gold (Post 1821827)
The V1 is digital. All HD is. What features does it lack that you are looking to gain? This will help us with recommendations.

Do you mean tapeless? If you want to stay with Sony so you can re-use many of the same accessories and stay with familiar ergonomics, the next step is probably the NX5.

Or you could just get the MRC1k and use that on your V1 and forget about tape forever. Or use both tape and card together with it.

Hi Adam: Thanks for the response. I am trying to go away with tapes and towards digital format. I know the V1U is a digital camera and a good one too. I thought of MRC1k too. I don't use the camera much as you can see from my meter. That was one of the reason I was thinking of getting something smaller with digital media. This is the reason I was seeing is there a good place to trade. I checked with B & H and they were giving me nothing great.

Manohar Hegde November 25th, 2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Barnett (Post 1821853)
I have a Z5U & the MRC1 has been awesome. Just picked it up this past year but moving to the tapeless workflow while keeping my same camera that I know & love. It'll give me another couple years out of it, maybe more.

If you are still looking to move on from the camera, you really need to give us some parameters. (ie, Price range, what you shoot etc). Sony has some DSLR cameras now like the VG30, but you may not want interchangeable lenses. Or possibly an EA-50. TBH tho, you won't get much on a trade in, yet selling a Mini-DV tape camera on Craigslist is probably next to impossible too. Investment-wise, the MRC1 seems logical, unless you just are done with the camera.

Hi David:

Thanks for the response. I am looking to change the V1U with digital media small handy camera. I just use this for cultural programs and some family occasions. I do not use this as a professional. I checked the MRC1K. It still uses compact flash. I don't think I want to spend $750 for that. I was trying to get something in the range of $1500.

Ron Evans November 25th, 2013 01:07 PM

If you want to stay Sony the top of the line consumer is the http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/909736-REG/sony_hdr_pj790v_b_96gb_hdr_pj790_hd_handycam.html. This is the consumer version of the NX30U which is a few hundred dollars more. Both have the balanced optical stabilizer which is great. I have the NX30U. Going down the consumer line means a smaller sensor and less internal memory but less cost of courses. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/909744-REG/sony_hdr_pj650v_b_hdr_pj650v_hd_handycam_camcorder_black.html
Ron Evans

Manohar Hegde December 2nd, 2013 10:57 PM

Thanks Ron: I have used Sony cameras for a long time. Also using Sony tripod with remote control Lanc connection makes easy to operate the camera particularly at concerts. I am not sure the consumer Sony cameras come with the lanc connection. I have to double check on the HDR-PJ790 or PJ650. I also these cameras come with 3 cmos like the Panasonic Hc-X900. I own one and like it a lot. The quality of video is very good. Bad part is it doesn't have a rocker zoom control. That is where I almost opted for NX70U. When I read the review I learnt that it is just the same as PJ790 with waterproof dustproof. So I am still trying to dispose my HVR-V1U and get something tapeless.

Ron Evans December 2nd, 2013 11:04 PM

The latest Sony camcorders have an A/V connector that double as Lanc for remote as well as output for playback etc. Not at the same time but cable comes with most and adapters are available for connecting Lanc to the A/V connector and I have two of these for my Libec and Manfrotto Lanc controlers for control of my little Sony's. PJ970 is like the NX30U. The NX70 is based on the previous CX700 series.

Ron Evans