DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   V1U impressions from DV Expo West (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/79982-v1u-impressions-dv-expo-west.html)

Ron Little November 24th, 2006 11:32 AM

I too am wishing for an early delivery. Do you think there will be enough to go around or should I pre-order?

Andrew Farrell November 27th, 2006 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Le
Yes, I did take some pictures. Here are some views of the V1U, XH-A1 and HVX200. Enjoy!

What's the box that the HVX200 is connected to?

Tim Le November 27th, 2006 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Farrell
What's the box that the HVX200 is connected to?

You know, I'm not sure. I checked all of the photos I took and that was the only one of the HVX. My guess, though, is it's some kind of breakout box for recording the uncompressed component out.

Andrew Clark January 26th, 2007 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Le
The zoom ring turns continuously and it is always active. The zoom rocker has no speed limiter or special quick zoom feature like the XH-A1, as far as I could tell. The maximum zoom speed did not feel especially fast. I also noticed that the zoom has a very pronounced feathering when you zoom fast and stop. So as you are zooming out fast (or zooming in) and you let go of the rocker, the zoom continues on slightly as it slows down to a stop. I'm not sure what to think of this feature. It's much more noticeable than any other camera that I have used before. I don't know if this is the same or different than the Z1.

Tim -

Regarding the zoom speed and feel; I just received the Sony promo DVD for the V1U. I noticed there was a scene of a soccer game which demonstrated (poorly) the zoom capabilities of the cam. It seemed to zoom in and out fairly quickly for a fixed mount lens.

If you have the promo DVD, can you tell me if that is approximately the same speed you encountered?

And just curious, what is this "quick zoom" on the XH-A1 you mentioned? Is it while recording?

It would be nice if the fixed mount camcorders would utilize a zoom ring/function like the HVX200...at least that's my preference!!

Tim Le January 27th, 2007 01:34 AM

Andrew,

I checked the promo DVD and I'm assuming you're referring to the zoom at 0:05:29 on the sample footage track? That does seem faster than what I saw at the Expo. Maybe the pre-production units on the show floor were slightly different. But to honest, it's very subjective and that was awhile ago so my memory may not be very sharp.

The quick zoom on the XH-A1 is a setting in the Custom Function that lets you boost the maximum zoom speed to 1.5 sec from wide to tele. In the normal setting the maximum zoom speed is 2.6 sec wide to tele. The slowest speed is always 60 sec wide to tele.