DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   Tape Playback (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/80218-tape-playback.html)

Andrew Clark November 22nd, 2006 09:12 PM

Tape Playback

Does anyone know if the tapes recorded by the V1U camera (in HDV mode) are able to be played back by other HDV camcorders?

Douglas Spotted Eagle November 23rd, 2006 12:18 AM

Canon, yes. JVC, no.
Canon doesn't have a deck, so you can only playback from their cams. All Sony decks will playback V1 footage.

Alex Huppenthal November 24th, 2006 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Canon, yes. JVC, no.
Canon doesn't have a deck, so you can only playback from their cams. All Sony decks will playback V1 footage.

All that can take the PHDVM-63DM cartridge. It isn't Mini DV, right.. Its DVCAM tapes.

A consideration here.. MiniDV is from $5 to $12 for "HD" quality MiniDV Cassette.
DVCAM cassette (chipless) $15 or more for 60 version..

Does the Canon have a DVCAM cassette for HDV?

Douglas Spotted Eagle November 24th, 2006 08:42 PM

Alex,

MiniDV, DVCAM, HDV all can use the *same* tape. No one makes an HDV camcorder that uses full size DVCAM tape shells, DVCAM is the same as DV excepting that the head pitch is slightly different and it runs faster. Same tape, same data, plays in the same Sony machines.

All Sony HDV media plays back in *all* Sony HDV decks. If you shoot DVCAM in the Z1 or A1 camcorders, you can play that tape in all three Sony HDV decks, or in a Sony DVCAM deck, regardless of whether it's made for both large/small format tape, or only small format/miniDV tape.

Canon doesn't make a DVCAM capable camera, but you can use the Sony DVCAM-marked tapes in any HDV camcorder.

To reiterate, ANY tape shot in a Sony HDV cam will playback in a Sony HDV deck.

1081i footage from the Canon will playback in the Sony decks. 24p footage from Canon will not.
JVC tapes will play, but not digitize from a Sony deck.

Sony/Canon tapes will not play in a JVC deck (actually, sometimes they do, but by design, they shouldn't). Even if they do playback, they don't digitize.

Alex Huppenthal November 24th, 2006 09:00 PM

That's a great clarification. So its possible to playback A1 MiniDV's in the V1 and perhaps V1 in the A1? What do you mean 'JVC..not digitize from a Sony deck' - can't pull the data through the firewire port?

I was a bit confused by the specification on the Sony site for PHDVM-63DM cassettes. Can you both playback and record using stock MiniDV cassettes we use on any other Sony HDV recorder? If so, that's good to know.

Why does Sony say PHDVM-63DM?

Douglas Spotted Eagle November 24th, 2006 10:49 PM

Alex
As I've now posted in response to several posts of yours:
The V1 footage will playback in ALL Sony HDV products. Period. You seem to have difficulty grasping this. With over 60 hours of V1 footage in my possession, I'd wager that I'm pretty familiar and comfortable with the camera, wouldn't you?
I don't know how Sony comes up with the model names for their tape. Perhaps Professional HDV Metal-63 Digital Master? I dunno, doesn't really matter what it's called. Could be Uncle Ben's Funky Foot Goop for all it matters; this is the high grade, AMEII tape recommended for HDV. However, regardless of the tape name, if it's miniDV, it will play/record in *any* HDV camcorder. It's the data on the tape, not the shape, size, color, or brand name on the tape that makes HDV what it is. The challenge between various data types that the tapes contain. Kinda like JVC records Swahili, Sony records English, and Canon records both English and Australian.
Hopefully this clears any remaining confusion?

Andrew Clark November 24th, 2006 11:08 PM

DSE -

Thanks for your first reply.

Would it matter if the footage acquired by the V1 was "Progressive" or "Interlaced"?

Thinking about getting the V1 and getting either a Sony HC3 or a Canon HV10 for a playback deck...would this still work for "Progressive" acquired V1 footage?

Douglas Spotted Eagle November 24th, 2006 11:46 PM

The 24p is "packaged" in a 60i stream, which is called 'inserted pulldown.' Depending on the NLE you use, the pulldown is removed by the NLE. Cineform Connect/Aspect HD will currently do this as well, for Vegas and Premiere users.
Yes, a Canon cam will play this back. This is the primary reason Sony inserts the pulldown, making the media from the V1 compatible with the majority of everything 1080 currently existing. I've captured perhaps an hour of footage from the V1, the majority is captured from my M10 and M25 decks, and pulldown removed during capture.

Andrew Clark November 25th, 2006 01:06 PM

Thank you again DSE!!

Alex Huppenthal November 25th, 2006 06:23 PM

If you record JVC 720p on the HDV format it'll play back on the V1, but the JVC HD10 camera won't playback the 1080i HDV encoded material from the Sony.

Its possible to playback A1 MiniDV's in the V1 and the V1 in the A1. All Sony MiniDV HDV Cams play each others media, since they are all MiniDV HDV standard cassettes and all record to tape in the standard HDV 1080i/60 or 50i.

MiniDV tape is not mentioned specifically in Sony's Specification Page on their website:
http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...-V1U/spec.html

I found that a bit confusing until I read up on the cartridge Sony specs on their V! site. I found out that cartridge is a MiniDV cart! Pays not to assume.

Heath McKnight November 25th, 2006 06:50 PM

Alex,

You need to pick up a copy of VASST's book. I'm sorry I keep "pimping" it all over DVI, but with the V1 coming out, we have a lot of new videographers, etc., to HDV. The book is an excellent primer, informational tool, instructional tool, etc., to get started in HDV, or make a transition from SD/DV to HDV. If you're going to buy an HDV camera and shoot with it for paying clients or for an indie film you hope to get into fests, etc., you should know what you're getting into. (I wrote a review of the first edition of the book right here.)

Buy it here:

http://www.vasst.com/product.aspx?id...0-0ad68139e940

(They also have some new training DVDs, including one on the V1/FX7 and the Z1/FX1, so check 'em out at www.vasst.com.)

Also, go to www.hdvinfo.net and www.hdv-info.org to see and learn more about the specifications.

HDV is HD compressed via mpeg2-ts and was built to go strictly to minidv tapes. If it isn't minidv, it's NOT HDV.

heath

Heath McKnight November 25th, 2006 06:51 PM

ps-The V1 and Z1 can record to DVCAM, but it's only in 720x480 mode. You record to the same tapes, mini-dv, but the signal is now DVCAM and won't play back on some minidv decks or cameras if they don't support DVCAM.

heath