DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   Japanese Comparisons (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/80322-japanese-comparisons.html)

Steve Mullen November 24th, 2006 06:36 PM

Japanese Comparisons

I'm now in SE Asia and have a "Video Salon" comparisison of the Canon G1, Pana HVX200, plus the V1 and Z1.

In a very high contrast outdoor scene with a fair skinned Japanese girl, the OBVIOUS diferences are:

1) The Canon gives the girl's skin an "unnatural" pink tone. Yellow flowers have too much red. (The HVX200 is a tiny bit green.)

2) The V1 and Z1 seem the same, except -- the Z1 has over-exposed her out-streatched hands and so the color is bleached-out. The V1 captures everything perfectly as does the G1.

On their low-contrast, staged indoor test scene -- I have yet to see ANY difference between all four cameras! UPDATE: The V1 and G1 both offer a bit more lattitude than the Z1.

With all the talk about "differences," the fact seems to be: ALL are very, very good AND each generation is better than the last.

This morning I'll be shooting an Indian wedding with a V1 using 24p.

Alex Huppenthal November 24th, 2006 07:13 PM

Very cool. Wish I were there.
Would love to see even 24 frames of anything subject with that camera.

Douglas Spotted Eagle November 24th, 2006 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Huppenthal
Very cool. Wish I were there.
Would love to see even 24 frames of anything subject with that camera.

Alex, 24p from the V1u has been available here on DVInfo.net for more than 2 months...

Adam Palomer November 24th, 2006 07:24 PM

It sounds like you really like the V1's latitude and color reproduction. Would you say the colors are better than the G1's?

Alex Huppenthal November 24th, 2006 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Alex, 24p from the V1u has been available here on DVInfo.net for more than 2 months...

Where?
And are the 2 month old images the same as today's V1? I see nothing on the Sony site. Tell me more.

None the less, I'd like to see what Steve produces, if he's willing and able.

Steve Mullen November 25th, 2006 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Palomer
It sounds like you really like the V1's latitude and color reproduction. Would you say the colors are better than the G1's?

Canon has typically had a "healthy" skintone which is very nice. SonY has always been a bit cool. I think Sony has moved a bit to "neutral" which is better than cool. The JVC HD10 has yet a different color tone and with far, far less lattitude it bleaches-out in a very "filmic" way.

With photography one had different emulsions to choose from. Some folks may choose to own different camcorders.

----------

This V1 prototype may be at an ealier stage than my last one. The orange 100IRE line on the histogram is not yet there. That's why there is no big interest in posting M2T files. Things may still be being tuned.

I would love the FLOWER OFF symbol to go away so there was a FLOWER only when Tele Maco is on. There is no need to tell me it is OFF. I'd also like one consistent symbol for AF on and the distance read-out should stay on.

----------------------------------

Wedding shoot went fine. Zero problems with V1. Used CineTone (Color = 0), Gamma 2, and LOW Knee. Used 24p with 360 shutter. Only tripod shots and not a lot of movement. Wonderful to at last shoot flames with a low-cost camera and have it look perfect.

They have a bigscreen TV here so if I have the right cable with me, I'll be able to see footage. Otherwise, I'll wait until I get to Channai where they have several "Sony Worlds." Sony Bravia is big here in Malaysia.

Steven Fokkinga November 25th, 2006 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Palomer

I think both can be tweaked so they look any way you want...