DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   If you shoot handheld a lot, which battery do you prefer? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/84323-if-you-shoot-handheld-lot-battery-do-you-prefer.html)

Craig Irving January 19th, 2007 02:15 PM

If you shoot handheld a lot, which battery do you prefer?

I'm trying to decide whether to get the 970 battery or the 770 battery. I'm worried that the 970 battery may be too much weight for handheld... what do you think? Does it stick out from the back of the camera or will it fit flush?

Piotr Wozniacki January 19th, 2007 02:19 PM

Yes Craig, it does stick out a bit - but the camera is still perfectly balanced; go for the biggest one!

Craig Irving January 19th, 2007 02:45 PM

I think you're right. That's probably best.

I was just worried about adding weight to the camera, but I'm sure it would still end up being much lighter than the FX1/Z1U cams and I had no problem at all working with those.

Although when I buy that external light the total weight is starting to get up there a little.

On a sidenote, I did my first shoot with the V1U last night and I was extremely impressed by the results when I played them back on my Grand Wega through HDMI. I'll be honest, I did miss the wide angle of the FX1/Z1U a little bit, but that'll be resolved as soon as I get the wide-angle adapter. I still feel as though I couldn't have chosen better product to be my first "real" camcorder.

Ruben Senderey January 19th, 2007 04:31 PM

V1u

What light you have for this cam, was the room dark ?
you felt the picture was better then the z1/fx1?

Craig Irving January 19th, 2007 04:58 PM

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. If you're referring to the light I'm intending to buy (have not bought it yet because it is not available) it is the HVL-LBP.

If you were referring to what I shot last night, it was a live music show so I was working with whatever lights were being used in the club.

I was REALLY impressed with the fact that there wasn't any smear. Typically I would get it a lot on the CCD camcorders like the FX1 and Z1U, but I saw none whatsoever on the V1U. Which was very refreshing.

Piotr Wozniacki January 19th, 2007 05:24 PM

Craig, if you're after the HVL-LBP which can be powered by the same, large battery type (970), you should use the largest battery possible with your V1 in order to balance it!

Jeff Rhode January 19th, 2007 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki
Craig, if you're after the HVL-LBP which can be powered by the same, large battery type (970), you should use the largest battery possible with your V1 in order to balance it!

I agree. If you are going to stick a wide lens on or light on the top then the heavier battery will help balance. If I am not mistaken the light will have the large battery on it too, so that will really offset the balance of the camera. Having tha same battery on the back will counterbalance.

Steve Mullen January 19th, 2007 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Irving
I'm trying to decide whether to get the 970 battery or the 770 battery. I'm worried that the 970 battery may be too much weight for handheld... what do you think? Does it stick out from the back of the camera or will it fit flush?

Sony sent me a 970. It not only stuck out -- it was way too heavy. So I switched to my old 570 and it feels perfect. Still almost 3 hours -- which is likely 1.5 hours of shooting.

I'm not sure about the 770, but I certainly wouldn't go with a 970. More is not always better.

Ken Ross January 20th, 2007 03:38 PM

I would go with the 770. It's a great battery (my last two were this model), doesn't add much weight and goes on forever!!!

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 21st, 2007 12:42 AM

I prefer the 970, but then again, I've got a couple dozen. Personally, I like the way they balance in a two finger hold.