DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   UV filter recommendation (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/97463-uv-filter-recommendation.html)

Piotr Wozniacki June 25th, 2007 08:53 AM

UV filter recommendation

I'd like to buy a good UV filter, that would fit between the lens and the lens hood in my V1. Is the Hama UV Filter UV-390 (O-Haze), 62,0 mm, Coated, any good for the V1? I must say I never bough filters before, so I don't know what exactly to look for: is the fact that we're talking HD here posing any special requirements on the UV filters (like it does on wa converters, for instance)?

Judging from the price difference, however, I guess the Hoya 62mm UV HMC will be better. Does anyone have any experience with its 86mm counterpart (specifically, will it fit between the Sony K wa adaptor and its lens hood)?

Zsolt Gordos June 25th, 2007 01:28 PM

Piotr,

I use the Hoya 62mm, its fine - I cant tell the difference between shots with and without. It fits under the hood.

Piotr Wozniacki June 25th, 2007 02:10 PM

Zsolt, there's some confusion on "the best" Hoya grade model number, can you tell me what exactly is written on yours?

Zsolt Gordos June 25th, 2007 02:19 PM

Good that you asked Piotr. It is actually not a Hoya, but a B+W F Pro model (German brand)

62 010 UV Haze 1x MRC

Quite wide frame, yet it fits under the hood. Sure you can find thinner model if you prefer that.

Leslie Wand June 25th, 2007 04:49 PM

i have the hoya - and it WONT fit under the wa hood.

leslie

Wong Kin Ching June 26th, 2007 05:14 AM

I have a Hoya and it does fit... works fine

Piotr Wozniacki June 26th, 2007 05:42 AM

Leslie, Wong - since you obviously have different Hoya models, please tell us what they are exactly.

Leslie Wand June 26th, 2007 07:03 AM

opps... my mistake, sorry.

all my filters are hoya apart from the uv that doesn't fit - visico 86mm mc uv

leslie

will have to get the hoya...

HANG ON!!!! are we talking about using it with the sony wa?

Piotr Wozniacki June 26th, 2007 08:23 AM

Leslie, I'm looking for both a 62mm UV filter (to use with the V1's regular lens hood), and a 86mm version (to be used with the Sony "K" wa adapter).

Wong Kin Ching June 26th, 2007 04:43 PM

The one that I have is the 62mm one. It fits snugly...

As far as some other DOPs have told me, b+w from Germany

has better glass, costing about 3 times as much.

I've been wanting to get a circular polarizer for a while.

Piotr, do you think its useful? should I get the more expensive glass?

Kin

PS I having a shoot later this month where I'll be renting a matt box and filters. Really looking forward to it...

Leslie Wand June 26th, 2007 05:31 PM

hi piotr,

i usually don't take my sony wa off, so i'm looking for an 86mm that will fit - but it will really have to be an ultra thin mount to fit under the hood.

i also want to shoot with polar. but i think the best solution is going to be getting some sort of basic matte box. i want to avoid one with rails, etc., since i don't need the extra bulk / weight (do doco's, lots of hand held stiff arm stuff).

anyone reading have any experiences with clamp on boxes?

leslie

Wong Kin Ching June 26th, 2007 09:15 PM

Hi Leslie,

The concern is that the additional weight would damage the lens without a proper rail system.

Vocas systems has a clip on solution for the V1 if you are interested.

Kin

Chris Leong June 26th, 2007 10:49 PM

Hi all
Have Tiffen 1A and PolCirc 62mm filters for my FX7 and both fit (separately, not mounted together) under my factory hood properly.

However, for critical work, I found out the hard way (when chasing down a mysterious hard reflection on my home made DOF box) that a high quality UV/1A filter mounted on my Nikkor 50/1.2 lens was causing a hard reflection with the front lens element, and so since then (it took me a couple of posts on the Alternative Imagine side of this forum, plus a couple of days, to finally isolate the problem), if the shot is critical I remove all filters and shoot that way.

Naturally, when I have a 0.7x attached, everything goes up to 82mm and I have used an 82mm to S9 filter adapter and S9 UVs, PolCircs, etc., but with the wide adaptor already influencing the picture I can't really tell what the filters are doing (and usually when I'm out to, what, 26mm with the .7x, I like whatever lens flare I can get, and I may have ND grads thrown in there too. YMMV , of course).

Cavision has a range of lightweight hoods that are pretty good. I use their 15mm rod system myself.