DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   my HVR-DR60 just died :( (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/97752-my-hvr-dr60-just-died.html)

Greg Quinn June 28th, 2007 01:37 PM

my HVR-DR60 just died :(

Don't know why, but I never really trusted this thing from the get-go, though it's been really useful in a number of situations. I can boot up to computer (data transfer) mode, but in video mode the LCD display says: "ERROR F:12:01". It really hasn't had that much use, perhaps 50 hours, and it hasn't been rough-housed during that time. Is this the intended lifespan of this product? Has anyone else had anything similar happen with their V1U and DR60?

Douglas Spotted Eagle June 28th, 2007 09:16 PM

haven't seen it, we've got three of em, and use em in places they're not supposed to be used. have you learned what that error code indicates? I don't have an error code list.

Max Volki June 29th, 2007 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Quinn (Post 704288)
Don't know why, but I never really trusted this thing from the get-go, though it's been really useful in a number of situations. I can boot up to computer (data transfer) mode, but in video mode the LCD display says: "ERROR F:12:01". It really hasn't had that much use, perhaps 50 hours, and it hasn't been rough-housed during that time. Is this the intended lifespan of this product? Has anyone else had anything similar happen with their V1U and DR60?

Greg,

Do you have something similar as “Silver-Support”, in US?
----------------------------------
SONY: 2 Year Silver Support, Included at no extra cost with DVCAM, HDV and XDCAM HD
All HDV, DVCAM and XDCAM HD Camcorders and Recorders are now supplied with a 2-year Silver Support Pack as standard. That means unique extra services – such as operational phone-call support, ‘anywhere collection’ and 7-day repair – for twice as long.
----------------------------------------

If this is the case, you just look up the special telephone number and call the support and tell them the Error-Code. Then it will be decided, if the DR-60 will be collected or what you can do.

Volki (V1E and DR-60)

Greg Quinn June 29th, 2007 01:37 AM

Max: nope, I thought that both the V1 and DR60 had something like a year's warranty, maybe not.

DSE: no, I don't know where to get a code list and up until this moment, I've been on location filming so haven't had a chance to contact Sony support (not looking forward to doing that...)

I just broke it out of my luggage, to check whether the menu option works (to maybe do a low level format) and no, it doesn't sadly. Looks like a dead device that will need a service/replacement. Goes to show the importance of also using tape on critical work.

Lee Berger June 29th, 2007 04:58 AM

Greg,
The V1U is covered by a one year parts and labor warranty. I would assume the same applies to the DR60.

Greg Quinn June 29th, 2007 12:41 PM

Thanks Lee.

FYI, I got off my duff and actually read the manual. An error with the form "F:12:*" means "a conflict in the HDD logic structure, and it advises to reformat. I found that I couldn't access the menu by hitting the menu button, but when I hit the "stop" button it gave me the option to reformat the drive, which I did, and everything once again looks fine.

I'll update the thread if this continues to be an issue. Thanks for everyone's comments.

Lee Berger June 29th, 2007 01:06 PM

Holy Cow! Did you loose data!

Piotr Wozniacki June 29th, 2007 01:41 PM

I also have taken my lesson with the DR60 and can advise all of you fellow users, that you shouldn't be afraid at all of handling the unit just like any external disk drive; so if it is at all operational (can be seen by your PC), just use any software for data recovery etc. Also, reformatting the VIDEO partition from the PC works just fine.

Greg Quinn June 29th, 2007 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Berger (Post 704805)
Holy Cow! Did you loose data!

Lee, no, fortunately I didn't. Although in camera mode it basically would freeze up, if I switched it to computer mode, the drive showed up fine on my Mac and I waisted no time in downloading whatever was on it as quickly as I could.

Piotr, thanks for the info about formatting via a PC (I guess I probably shouldn't try doing that on my Mac though...)

Piotr Wozniacki June 29th, 2007 05:29 PM

Greg, I'm very happy for you that you've got your DR60 working again - your first post was alarming, but the outcome inspires confidence again.

Max Volki June 30th, 2007 02:22 AM

**Well, it’s even better. DR-60 has a “self healing function” against stupid users as I was**

When got DR-60 the first time it was formatted in FAT32. I thought, I won’t need interoperability wit MAC, and I don’t need USER Partition. So I formatted the DR-60 from a computer, with a special tool, in NTFS and in just one partition. So far it looked good.

But next time I started DR-60 it was kind of “broken”

I was already thinking of telephoning Silver-Support and worry about my stupidity. Then I connected the DR-60 again to the V1E and had it start.

I don’t know what happened, but every thing was alright again. Both partition where still there and all still in FAT32

volki

Q: What do you use the USER Partition for?

Kenny Hollingsworth May 24th, 2011 02:37 PM

Re: my HVR-DR60 just died :(

I had the same error on my new DR60 this past weekend. Formating was the only way to get it to work again. I LOST all of my data. The first time it happened, i was able to recover it all. Next time i wont be formating. It just pisses me off that i had to stop using it as i was recording in 1080/30p format. Our producer can only capture progressive footage from files and no tape. I had tape backup but had to switch to 60i for the rest of our shoot. I captured the 30p tapes to hard drive. It created a m2v file instead of the normal AVCHDmpt. Is this a problem with AVID users?