DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Is an HD on-board monitor a must for this camera? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/116312-hd-board-monitor-must-camera.html)

Lonnie Bell March 4th, 2008 03:09 PM

Is an HD on-board monitor a must for this camera?

Hi all,
I've been a Canon guy and their lcd's are not up to snuff for critical focus so I'm wondering about how this camera's lcd functions, so...

Is the lcd and expanded focus enough for critical focus on this camera or do you need an onboard HD monitor connected to the component outputs?

And same question again, but with a 35mm adapter mounted to the front, would the lcd and expanded focus be enough for critical focus again?

(If curious, I'm looking at the Marshall or the Nebtek)

Thanks for your help,
Lonnie

Dugi Barr March 4th, 2008 03:28 PM

Hi Lonnie
I'm new here but not stupid.
What are you shooting? News? You mention a 35mm adapter? Movies? DV,DVCAM, HDV?

Lonnie Bell March 4th, 2008 03:31 PM

Hi Dugi,
Corporate interviews and parties to be displayed on HDTV's for income.

Movie making for myself.

I'm sure HDV only.

Dugi Barr March 4th, 2008 03:53 PM

"Corporate interviews and parties to be displayed on HDTV's for income.
Movie making for myself."
I would think the LCD and eyepiece are fine.
35mm Adapter DOF I would definitely recommend an external monitor.

Lonnie Bell March 4th, 2008 04:06 PM

Thank you Dugi for your thoughts.

Anyone with hands on experience care to leave their opinion as well?

Thanks in advance,
Lonnie

Martin Pauly March 4th, 2008 04:46 PM

Lonnie,

I have a couple of Z1Us, and I have found ways to focus without a separate monitor. I cannot tell you about 35mm adapters, just the basic Z1U.

First of all, the depth of field of the Z1U isn't all that small. So a rough guess as to what the distance to my subject is typically gets me pretty close. Add to that the expanded focus mode, zooming in for setting focus, and the peaking option, and you have pretty good tools - if you are not in a hurry, and if you don't have to adjust focus while shooting. For the latter, I find the shot transition function useful, but you just get to store two presets that you can switch between. Anything more, or following randomly moving objects, and it wouldn't work.

I would imagine that things get more difficult with a 35mm adapter, but I don't have any experience with them.

- Martin

Jeff Rhode March 5th, 2008 05:17 AM

Just this week we shot with 4 cameras in the studio--interview type set with 2 people. A makeshift control room was made with 4-19" HD monitors and HDMI cables were run from each camera to each monitor. We were all amazed at how many minor focusing issues were caught having 1 person viewing the monitors. With a 35mm adapter I would think it would be essential. Another benefit is that you will see 100% of your field of view, and you could always mount it upside down so you can compose right side up.

Lonnie Bell March 5th, 2008 11:25 AM

Thanks guys.

Jeff - just curious, did you have 4 conversion boxes for the component to HDMI.

Jeff Rhode March 5th, 2008 11:38 AM

Lonnie,

I forgot to mention we used V1's on that shoot, and they have the HDMI port onboard. I wasn't even thinking of the lack of the HDMI port on the Z1.