DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Z1 Commercials, feedback, thoughts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/136412-z1-commercials-feedback-thoughts.html)

Shawn D. Caple October 21st, 2008 05:29 PM

Z1 Commercials, feedback, thoughts

I'm hoping for some feedback more than help.

I just made these two political ads for my local town:

Promotional Ad: YouTube - The Right Choice

Contrast Ad: YouTube - Howie's "School Record"

I think I've just about got the Z1 down pat (with settings and such). Though I may be missing some bits.

Could I get a bit of feedback on the first ad? Should I have run this though After Effects for color correction? The shots are not manipulated.

Hopefully I'm not in the wrong posting this. If more info is needed I will try to accommodate.

Chris Coulson October 22nd, 2008 01:07 AM

It's great as it is. There's nothing wrong with it at all.

In order to attain perfection however, :-) the voiceover is a little poppy, and there seemed to be a bit of a jump before you pan down to the dog, but those points are irrelevant.

100% of your viewers are NOT going to notice either of those things, and will "get" exactly the same point from the film as if you'd fixed them too.

Once you attain a certain level of quality in a film, any tweaks are for your benefit, not the film's :-) Have a pat on the back and put your feet up. :-)

Shawn D. Caple October 22nd, 2008 06:41 AM

Chris, Thank you for the feedback. The Z1 has grown into a good friend over the years and the weight issue seems nonexistant anymore. I hope the Z5 (z1 replacemnet) is even better.

You know, I need to get me some better audio mics for dubbing. Do you recommend any? Maybe I should have gotten a screen to block the pops form the mic?

Chris Coulson October 25th, 2008 02:06 AM

Nah, you just need a screen, or alternatively,some of your wife's tights.

Fishnets may look nice, but they won't stop the popping though!

Personally, I don't use a screen - but I monitor on headphones, and if i hear popping, just reposition the mic.

Jeff Harper October 26th, 2008 12:35 AM

I agree they are both very good. I would have preferred, however, lingering on one or two scenes in the first one a tad longer. I thought that too many came too fast, but that is just me and was an intial reaction.

Shawn D. Caple October 26th, 2008 07:20 AM

Jeff,

I think that that is a point I did not consider. I did think it was fast but I didn't know why!

Chris,

Do you know where I could get one of those screens? I'd feel better purchasing one that the client(s) can see is professionally made.

Chris Coulson October 27th, 2008 05:21 PM

I can't recommend anything to you, as I don't know where you are, but search google for pop screen, or pop filter, and you should get lucky.

I would guess around 50UKP or 100USD?

Have fun!