DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Raw HDR-FX1 mpeg2 files are posted. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/33865-raw-hdr-fx1-mpeg2-files-posted.html)

Jeff Kilgroe November 6th, 2004 06:37 PM

Re: Output to HDTV 108I Primer?

<<<-- Originally posted by Brandt Ryan : I've just purchased one of the aforementioned $799 CRT HDTV's. It's a 30" Philips widescreen--and the cable guy is coming today to install HDTV cable!

I have a GeForce 4600TI video card that has DVI out and S-video out. I was planning to connect my pc to the tv via the dvi or svideo to see some of the clips posted.

Is it as simple as moving my computer/keyboard/mouse over to the tv, and plugging in the TV through the video card?

What resolution should I set my video card to? Do I have to d/load powerstrip and tweak a bunch of settings? -->>>

OK, if your TV has a DVI connector, then just plug it into your DVI port on the computer and you should be good to go. You may have to go into the nVidia control panel and the nView settings and tell it to detect your displays and that should register the acceptable modes the TV supports into your system. I'd recommend upgrading to the current 61.77 WHQL drivers from the nVidia site (the 66.81 WHQL Beta drivers seem to work real well too). Not all older driver sets properly support HDTV monitors. You don't need PowerStrip or any such utilities. The nVidia drivers let you add custom resolutions in the control panel.

Anyway, the monitor should support 1920x1080 interlaced @ 60Hz and 852x480 both interlaced and progressive at 60Hz. But it's best if you let your system detect for sure and sync up with it. If you have one of the newest models that has an HDMI connector rather than DVI, don't worry. HDMI is single-link DVI and 2-channel digital audio in a single cable connection. You just need an HDMI to DVI adapter. If you need DVI/HDMI cables and adapters, or any other stuff like component cables for your HDTV go to www.ramelectronics.net -- best cables out there and they have some of the best prices too.

Oh, and HDTV only works over Component (Y, pB, pR) and DVI/HDMI connections. S.Video is only good for 480i SD. Also just a small word of caution... When HD-DVD and BluRay HD players start shipping this next year, you will need a DVI or HDMI connector to use all the capabilities as most major film studios will not allow their HD content to be played back over Component as it has no copy protection scheme. DVI/HDMI both support the HDCP (High Definition Copy Protection) standard. So good advice to anyone is to not buy an HDTV unless it has at least one DVI-HDCP or HDMI compliant port. ...Any current model HDTV from a good manufacturer has this, but double check before buying just in canse you might be tricked into buying an older model or something.

Brandt Ryan November 6th, 2004 08:28 PM

Thanks!

I appreciate your thorough explanation--I went out and got a DVI to HDMI cord (a whopping $120 for the cord). I think I'll be set now--for any future stuff!

The HD coming in from the cable company is stunning--

Jeff Kilgroe November 7th, 2004 11:59 PM

Re: Thanks!

<<<-- Originally posted by Brandt Ryan : I appreciate your thorough explanation--I went out and got a DVI to HDMI cord (a whopping $120 for the cord). I think I'll be set now--for any future stuff!

The HD coming in from the cable company is stunning-- -->>>

Sure, no problem, glad to help out. And just to warn you -- One thing you may see with your new HDTV set is that it's maximum resolution on the aperture grille may be physically lower than 1920x1080. This is actually the norm and most CRT HDTV sets usually are limited to a true 1400~1700 horizontal resolution even though they accept and display 1920x1080. Your HDTV should report back to the computer all its available resolutions and you can probably try some custom ones. You will notice if the HDTV has a lower resolution capability than 1920x1080 right away when you plug in your computer. Text will be blurred/softened and you can see a softening of a lot of the fine details. Very few HDTV sets (of any type) have a native 1920x1080 resolution, most DLP and LCD based sets are in the 1280x720 range, Some better LCOS based sets are now at full 1920x1080 - Mitsubishi now has a few full res native 1080P displays that are just beautiful. CRT HDTV sets are an odd bunch and depending on make and model and whatnot can have anywhere from 540 to the full 1080 horizontal lines and their horizontal resolution can vary from around 960 all the way up to the full 1920. Most newer CRT HDTV sets (like your new Philips) are nothing more than a multiscanning CRT computer monitor, but with a 16:9 aspect ratio and they trade off the higher density aperture grille or shadow mask of newer computer screens for greater brightness (and in some cases, contrast).

I'm not really familiar with the Philips 30" sets, but the newest Toshiba and Panasonic sets seem to be resolving pretty close to the full 1920x1080 resolution and possibly all of it. I doubt the Philips is much different as it's about in the same price range. My local Sam's Club has a 30" Panasonic HDTV with HDMI interface for $769 and they had it connected to a DVHS player and the picture was incredible for that little 30" screen.

Garius Hill November 11th, 2004 10:13 PM

Thank You!

Kaku,

Thanks so much for your contibution. I am trying to decide whether to purchase the FX1 or an XL2. Much of my work will be in documentary and museum work. Your footage is helping me make a decision.

After viewing your footage, I am leaning heavily toward the FX1. I think the added resolution over the DV format is the future. I do think, in time the HDV format will need to include better audio specs and possibly 5.1 , somehow, I think this will be the case within a couple of years.

In the mean time, those of us that embrace this format can archive some nice looking footage, when you consider the price, it's amazing. Thank you SONY!

Thanks again for your generous spirit. !

Garius Hill
New York

Kaku Ito November 11th, 2004 11:29 PM

Thank you Garius and all of the other members for the encouragement.

I was thinking before that true progressive shooting (XL2) will be more advantageous over FX1's 1080i but if the subject is not moving so much, that would include slow panning and zooming like my new footage from mountain, what I shot with FX1 was so much nicer than XL2. Did you see my mountain footage?

As far as 5.1, I am a lot more comfortable to talk about it as professional, you difinately would do better using something like MOTU Digital Performer, bus-powered 24 bit/192Khz audio interface with PowerBook G4 for real surround recording because you can do EVERYTHING you need in the software to adjust and manipulate the situation. We've done full orchestra recording with the simular set and the conductor/composer was just amazed with the fidility of the recording. Tell you the truth, after the recording, he had to reorganaize the players that he could hear a lot more and found out some members were not feasible in the performance. Digital Performer could integrate great with Final Cut Pro projects that is how I'm editing and mixing my projects. You can go to B&H in New York, that is where Pat Metheny buys his MOTU stuff (that is what I heard from Pat Metheny in person). There's a famous super-salesperson there that answer your question.

Steve Crisdale November 12th, 2004 02:29 AM

Re: Thank You!

<<<-- Originally posted by Garius Hill :

After viewing your footage, I am leaning heavily toward the FX1. I think the added resolution over the DV format is the future. I do think, in time the HDV format will need to include better audio specs and possibly 5.1 , somehow, I think this will be the case within a couple of years.

Garius Hill
New York -->>>

Why does the HDV audio spec of MPEG1 Layer II audio 384,000bps 48Hz Stereo prevent going 5.1 during the editing phase?

I've added 5.1 to some of my HD10u clips in Vegas and it works fine......

HDV isn't necessarily the bottleneck to creativity that's sometimes being painted. Yes, it may be difficult to import in ways that would extract even more data, but it's already heaps better than any DV level camcorders' going to give you. I realise the audio may not be up to some peoples expectations, but it shouldn't prevent the supplementing of that audio in post.

Kevin Dooley November 12th, 2004 07:20 AM

Audio...

It seems odd to me how reliant we've become on the camera to do our audio work... Now, I know for some stuff, you need as little gear as possible, but people have been recording sound to a seperate device for years...and it's honestly not that much more work if you do it correctly. If the FX1's audio is that much of a problem...your sound engineer can simply record to the old warhorse...DAT. Or whatever your external media of choice is. Then mix to 5.1 to your heart's content in post...

Garius Hill November 12th, 2004 07:21 AM

5.1 problem

Hi Kaku and Steve,

Thank you for your reply.

MY concern isn't so much in recording in 5.1 (something that might be nice but would be a rare thing for me, , (which you are right I could do with an 828 and laptop in the field.)

In post production, I have all the software needed to do 5.1 in post (Sonar, DIgital Performer, FCP, Premiere PRo) but then the only way I can see to share it for others (away from my facility) is thru a sync to the video through SMPTE, since there is not room in the HDV standard to burn it back to a D-VHS or HDV tape and disk with 5.1, like we currently do with a DVD and a 5.1 burn from FCP or Adobe Premiere Pro. I was speaking specifically about the HDV standard in post. IS there another way, keeping it in HDV?

DO you think that a new standard will arise that will accomidate this? (perhaps within a couple of year.) I think people will want to play their HD material on their future 1080i plasmas and hear it with 5.1 or better.

Kaku, I love your mountain footage. The extra resolution in my mind, even with the compression troubles blows any DV Cam when looked at on a HD monitor.

Thanks Again,
Garius

Garius Hill November 12th, 2004 08:29 AM

audio

Kevin,

Yes, you are right, this camera and the standard may require people to think more like film makers and not videographers. I would love to see how this transfers to film. I don't mind recording the audio seperately if a higher quality is needed.

The night before last, at the SMPTE event here in NY, It was a real thrill to see footage shown at Postworks 2k projector and screening facility. I think this format is perhaps the bridge between videographers and film makers, all for $3700,
and a few thousand more for monitor and playback decks.

Kaku, Also if I understand correctly, the FX1 doesn't have SMPTE,. Does this mean that it won't output SMPTE but it still records it to tape?

If not, doesn't this make syncing much more difficult witn audio recorded on other decks?

Garius

Kaku Ito November 12th, 2004 08:53 AM

What you can do in the editing process lately, is so flexible and hardly had any problem in finally adjusting the timing. That is what I think and I just make sure everything look and sound natural.