DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Nobody complaining that their cheapo batteries do not work? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/39096-nobody-complaining-their-cheapo-batteries-do-not-work.html)

Kevin Shaw February 14th, 2005 08:00 AM

"whether you bought the FX1 or the Z1U, basically you've shelled out much more than a couple thousand dollars on your new baby. Why would you feed it anything but the best batteries and tape that money can buy? "

Tapes I can understand given the seriousness of dropouts on the HDV cameras, but unless Sony can demonstrate that their batteries are functionally better then a generic battery should work exactly the same as a Sony battery. I've used generic batteries on my Canon camcorders for several years and have never had a problem doing so.

Sean M Lee February 16th, 2005 03:52 PM

my 7800 mah battery arrived today...well, one of two did...and it works in my Z1U! $39 each, too.

I stuck it on, turned the cam on and ran it through it's functions for about 5 minutes before I put it on the charger.

The batts that didn't work, did the camera function at all?

Thanks!

Greg Jacobson February 16th, 2005 05:17 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Sean M Lee : my 7800 mah battery arrived today...well, one of two did...and it works in my Z1U! $39 each, too.

I stuck it on, turned the cam on and ran it through it's functions for about 5 minutes before I put it on the charger.

The batts that didn't work, did the camera function at all?

Thanks! -->>>

The batteries that did not work for me only worked long enough to power the cam up and then turned off after a few seconds. You get a message that says "use Sony info lithium batteries" so it looks like you have nothing to worry about.

Where did you order yours from?

Sean M Lee February 16th, 2005 05:32 PM

Ebay

$39 each, 6.98 shipping for 2

Jack McCann February 17th, 2005 01:53 AM

Sean, keep us posted on the reliability of the batteries. How long are your run times so far?

J

Eric James February 17th, 2005 03:05 AM

B&H power2000 batteries

Hey Guys,
I've been using 2 of the big power2000 ($50 each) batteries listed on the FX1 product page from B&H. They work great! I have put them from full charge to empty 3 or 4 times each.

Here's the interesting thing:
They do not work on my VX-2000 and I get the error you guys get "info-lithium ONLY"

I found that if I leave the power setting to "camera" and take the battery off than snap it back in place, 2 out of 3 times the camera won't give the warning and functions normally.

My 2 c,
Eric James

Scott Shuster February 17th, 2005 08:15 PM

infoLITHIUM "L" and non-L Sony batteries

I agree with Chris: I would be terrified to use a non-Sony battery in my Z1U - or in the TRV-9 for that matter. Why? Because the world is chock-full of rip-off batteries, that's why! Seems like batteries are one area that has been attacked very successfully by the schlock-product artists.

I call some of these things "fake batteries." They look like batteries but they don't really feel heavy enough...and they work for about five minutes. I'm talking about the no-name double-A batteries that the delis here in New York push - not about camcorder batteries. But I'd be surprised if the bad-guys have not made 'fake' battteries for us, too. Of course I'll never know because I'll buy ONLY sony batteries for my sony cameras.

OK here's my main question for this post:
What about using OLD Sony batteries (from our VX machines) that don't have that "L" on them that I see on the new little 'included' battery that came with the Z1U. What's the diff?