DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   I don't know how to advise him......... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/39797-i-dont-know-how-advise-him.html)

Douglas Habib February 19th, 2005 04:55 PM

I don't know how to advise him.........

....so I'll seek more knowledgeable advice.....
A friend in Sweden has arranged a loan to purchase a z1. Concerned about warranty, etc. 'cause if he CAN, he'd rather buy it here (U.S.). Source, though ultimately significant, is secondary to practical matters (power compatibility, recording standards, etc.) He's just had his first trip here, and needs an excuse to return; bring wife and son to celebrate their visit. (They're former Soviet escapees) Although I'd like to help them I'm such a damn newbie I'm unfamiliar with the technicalities of the camera....and he'd be using it professionally upon their return. This is his career path (he's done a few videos commercially there), so accurate information is a necessity....that I am unable to provide.
Just let 'er rip with your comments or suggestions......thanks, all.

Rhett Allen February 19th, 2005 06:35 PM

what are you asking?

If he wants to know about the camera, there's about a million places he can read reviews and specs, including right here. Perhaps the Sony website would be the first place I would look. If he's a professional, he probably already knows where to look or ask. I just don't know what it is you are asking.

Douglas Habib February 19th, 2005 06:46 PM

Thanks, Rhett; obviously I wasn't clear....
Specifically, is a USA purchased z1 warranty valid for a European resident, and can it be operated in both places??????

Jonathan Lee February 22nd, 2005 06:43 PM

If he buys it in the US then the warranty will have to be registered in the US and will only be valid in the US not Europe. If it needs repairing and/ or any servicing under warranty he will have to return it to the dealer he bought it from or to a Sony service agent in the country of purchase (in this case the US).

It may theoretically be possible to purchase a warranty extension to cover Europe but could prove expensive and wipe out the presumed saving of buying it in the US. Better to buy in Europe and save a lot of hassle and expense if it needs Sony's attention.

Heath McKnight February 22nd, 2005 09:36 PM

They will advise buyers to purchase the European Z1 that will have a warranty that covers it.

heath

Douglas Habib February 22nd, 2005 09:37 PM

Thanks, Jonathan; for confirming my warranty suspicions.....guess I just wanted to hear it from someone else...
The OTHER reason for his desire to purchase here is to USE it here to record his family's first visit to USA; will it operate - wait - I just remembered; it runs on batteries!!!!! (What a JERK!!!)

Steve Crisdale February 22nd, 2005 10:48 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Douglas Habib : Thanks, Jonathan; for confirming my warranty suspicions.....guess I just wanted to hear it from someone else...
The OTHER reason for his desire to purchase here is to USE it here to record his family's first visit to USA; will it operate - wait - I just remembered; it runs on batteries!!!!! (What a JERK!!!) -->>>

besides the possibility that the mains supply may be different between the US and Sweden...

The camera has a mains supply cable, with transformer that is used to power the battery (at least in the FX-1's case - not sure about the Z-1....) via the camera. So, you may be forced to purchase an adapter... which would be an extra expense he could do without.

Steven Gotz February 23rd, 2005 05:19 PM

The battery charger is set up for 100V to 250V and 50Hz or 60Hz (I am not in front of it at the moment, but close enough)

So you only need one charger for the USA and Europe. I checked because I will be taking mine to Greece. The only adapter is from flat blades to round ones. An inexpensive plug that is readily available in the USA and Europe.

I am away from home, but I will bet that the AC adapter has the same capabilities.