DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   HOT TIP: Canon C-8 Tele 1.4x (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/40235-hot-tip-canon-c-8-tele-1-4x.html)

John Jay April 11th, 2005 06:52 PM

Hey Joel

got a 60x clip for you (33M)

email me privately for that ftp space

Joel Corral April 11th, 2005 08:03 PM

just emailed you! :)

John Jay April 12th, 2005 08:30 AM

I couldnt access your ftp so you can get it here - 33mb

http://s11.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1YYTT40ZH7X9O3HDF8L6C2BYA1

the shimmer that you see is due to shooting through one mile of warm rising air :)

Joel Corral April 12th, 2005 08:52 AM

very nice. why is it 16x9 AR of 1.2 instead of 1.33? did you have to crop the video because of Vignetting? if so do you have any stills with the Vignetting? so i can see how bad it is?

Also the lens is super long, what type of lens support did you use or did you use any at all?

thanks so much,

joel

(i sent you over the corrected info for the ftp site)

Douglas Spotted Eagle April 12th, 2005 09:00 AM

All I can say after buying one of these on Ebay and chasing down a stepdown ring, is that I'm glad I only paid $15.00 for the lens, plus $18.00 for the step down ring. Figured for the price it was worth the education. It looks terrible on my Z1. I can't see anything wrong with the lens itself, just the way the image looks. Lots of barrel abberation and distortion.
If anyone wants this lens, it's theirs for the price of shipping.

Joel Corral April 12th, 2005 09:07 AM

i am not quite sure what "barrel disortion" looks like, but at full 1080i res i do see a "unclean look". but i think thats from the war air rising. i am thinking about using this lens for SD projects. now when i downconvert that File John jay posted it looks pretty good.

i would like to see something thats not super far away maybe something that is 50 yards. is that possible, john?

j

John Jay April 12th, 2005 09:59 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Joel Corral : very nice. why is it 16x9 AR of 1.2 instead of 1.33? did you have to crop the video because of Vignetting? if so do you have any stills with the Vignetting? so i can see how bad it is?

Also the lens is super long, what type of lens support did you use or did you use any at all?

-->>>

Joel,

All I did was extract a 12 second clip using Procoder2 its pretty much as the original @ 25 mbs but with the extra encode of course - it is 1440x1080 16:9 no ?

I am currently looking for a lens brace - on my Manfrotto 117 it is a little sensitive to touch

The dirty look is normal - like binoculars - you are looking through billions of gallons of air - super telephotos suffer from low contrast, softer focus and chromatic aberation although the latter can be fixed in post. To fix the low contrast get the clip in After Effects and apply auto contrast - to fix the thermals shoot in the morning.

The VT5 is only useful at near max zoom giving approx 50-60x magnification and larger aperture than F4.0 and is really for those hard to access shots - at 50 yards well maybe all you get is a flower petal?

Joel Corral April 12th, 2005 10:15 AM

thanks for the info,

the correct pixel aspect ratio for HDV is 1440x1080 1.333. (correct me if i am wrong)

the file you posted is 1440x1080 1.2.

i am sold on the lens, i feel at 50 - 75 bucks its worth it. at the least i will be able to play with the lens and see for myself how it works.

any other "old school" telephoto lenes out there that may work? i would love to know.

joel

John Jay April 12th, 2005 11:11 AM

Yeah,

good value for certain shots (Baywatch? ha ha;)

just be careful - when mounted on the camera it looks like some kind of weapon / machine gun so dont shoot from tops of buildings without a bullet proof vest - peeps will think you're with the SWAT team :)

Jared VanLeuven April 12th, 2005 11:48 AM

Spot, I'll take you up on that offer if no one else has yet.

Joel Corral June 23rd, 2005 08:45 PM

well i finally got a SIGMA vt-5 but on the lens it says 43mm i thought it was 52mm? am i looking at the wrong side?

thanks,

joel

Alex Raskin June 24th, 2005 09:42 AM

on the other side of the spectrum... any suggestions for a good MACRO lens for FX1?

Robin Davies-Rollinson June 24th, 2005 11:55 AM

Alex,
I bought a set of 72mm KOOD close-up adaptors: +1, +2, +3 diopter.
They work very well and can get me extreme close-ups.
You can add the lenses together to get even closer.
The good thing is that you get to use the zoom over the whole range as well...

Robin

Alex Raskin June 24th, 2005 12:53 PM

Robin, search for KOOD only brings UK sites - do you think they are available in US?

Robin Davies-Rollinson June 24th, 2005 01:40 PM

Sorry Alex, I had no idea that they were only available here - especially since they are produced in Korea!
You could also try Hoya - I've used some smaller adaptors from them, but they should make them in 72mm.
Of course, you could always have the Kood filters shipped ;-)

Robin