DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Wanna big surprise? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/41131-wanna-big-surprise.html)

Douglas Spotted Eagle March 14th, 2005 04:27 PM

Wanna big surprise?

Go out and shoot your Z1/FX1 in CF 24 in DVCam mode.
Capture it, drop it into your NLE with a 24p timeline.
See what you get.
It'll surprise you. Sony won't comment on what we've discovered, but....
And if you happen to have a DVX100 that you can shoot with the Z1/FX1 side by side....you'll enjoy what you get, IMO.

Steven White March 14th, 2005 04:42 PM

This DVCam mode you speak of isn't available on the FX1 - is it?

EDIT: Or do you mean shoot DV-mode in CF24, as opposed to HDV in CF24?

Douglas Spotted Eagle March 14th, 2005 04:47 PM

Shoot CF 24 in SD/DV mode, not HDV mode.

Kurth Bousman March 14th, 2005 04:49 PM

Doug - please don't keep us in suspense - Steven , the cf30 on the fx-1 should be the same as the Z1. I bet you got real 24p on the timeline but in dv. In another thread before the cameras were released there was speculation about this because it said 480p in the specs. Did you capture anamorphic ? Share with your friends- please - Kurth

Kurth Bousman March 14th, 2005 04:51 PM

oops Steven , I meant the cf 24 on your fx1 is the same as the dvcam mode , just in regular dv- sorry for the correction - k

Steven White March 14th, 2005 04:54 PM

>>the cf30 on the fx-1 should be the same as the Z1<<

Yeah - I knew that. I was just confused about the "DVCam" mode - since I thought the DVCam spec (supported on the Z1) was different from the miniDV spec (on the FX1) - if only slightly.

But yeah - spill the beans! I can't handle the suspense.

Douglas Spotted Eagle March 14th, 2005 04:55 PM

Just go shoot it, and import it removing pulldown. I posted this on another forum back in January and got my ass kicked, so this time, now that I've confirmed it, I'll wait for others to confirm this too.
We're getting ready to launch a new tool at NAB, and so I've been doing a bit of research on this cam...and Vegas, Premiere, AVID, and FCP.

Christopher C. Murphy March 14th, 2005 04:58 PM

Douglas....doood!!! Can you give more details? Specifically, when you say "capture" - what are you talking about exactly? We capture in what codec?? Workflow please!!!!!

Was this Sony's way of circumventing the initial HDV spec and slamming the 24p Panny? If so, I'm going to bow down to SONY right now and WORSHIP them like a GOD!!!!! I'll worship you too Douglas!!

Oh wait, I re-read this thread...so shoot in DV mode?? Ok, so I'm assuming it's on par with the 24p from Panny? If so, I'm pleased! I was hoping for HDV 24p, but definately not unhappy. Not at all...I'm 100% happy. If the 24p in DV mode kicks butt - I'm going to be EXTREMELY HAPPY!

Mike Moncrief March 14th, 2005 05:02 PM

Come on guys, the suspense is killing me..What are the results??
I am looking at buying an FX1, and if it can make like the Panny DVX 100 shooting 24P.. That is a big bonus to purchase the camera now!!

Mike M.

Bob Zimmerman March 14th, 2005 05:05 PM

somebody try this and let us know.

or

Doug what was the other website? We can go there and look.

Christopher C. Murphy March 14th, 2005 05:06 PM

Mike, it's getting dark in my neck of the woods right now. Tomorrow, I'll go out and shoot something in DV CF24 mode. The trick sounds like the pull-down..and DVCAM mode only?

Douglas, isn't there a way to capture the footage and have the pull-down applied at the same time? I'm trying to wrap my head around the workflow.

I'm now dying to see CF24 footage after pull-down. If you can email your posting on the other "forum" - I'd like to see it! Also, if this is true I'm going to have to buy your book as a thank you! Not to mention, it seems like you really know your stuff....unlike some Mellons out there.

Thanks Douglas!

Mike Moncrief March 14th, 2005 05:10 PM

Hello,

Ok thanks Chris.. i look forward to what you see!!

Mike

Christopher C. Murphy March 14th, 2005 05:14 PM

Hey, someone go wake-up Shannon Rawls! He said he loves the CF30, but I'm sure he'd be into the CF24 that actually worked right.

Shannon, hey brother...you there?? Speak up my fellow Z1U'er! lol

Christopher C. Murphy March 14th, 2005 05:22 PM

Holy smokes! This information has spread like wild fire! I've been looking on other sites for the information Douglas mentioned and no kidding...this thread has made its way all over within minutes. Why are people reading this site and posting it elsewhere and not contributing here first???

Just goes to show you - DVinfo is the source for HDV information!

Peter Rixner March 14th, 2005 05:23 PM

Sorry if I dont see it. but ...

What is so special about with 24 Frames. Unless your going to print out to film. Is it that ?

Otherwise, why sould I return to SD with 24 Frames, when I guess, there must be one Frame interpolated or doubled to get 25 Frames (for my PAL-World) or even more complicated to get it into 30 Frames.

I just rebooted my Z1 to 60i, just to see the 24 Frames mode.
Nothing special I see about it. Not much difference to 25.

Please let me know, what makes you all that exciting about it.

Thanks!

Peter :)