DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Z1/FX1 Rain Jacket Experience (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/46547-z1-fx1-rain-jacket-experience.html)

Richard Entwistle June 21st, 2005 08:03 AM

Z1/FX1 Rain Jacket Experience

Hi guys,

Has anyone used the Sony rain jacket LCR-FXA accessory? Does it function Ok or do you find something better?

Just picked up my Z1P and off shooting in the wilds later this month. :)

Richard

Bill Pryor June 21st, 2005 09:52 AM

I haven't seen the Sony rain jacket for this camera, but I have owned different ones in the past for bigger cameras. My experience was the putting on the rain cover was too much trouble. Instead I carry around a roll of plastic bags. It's easy to quickly cut a slit for the lens and one for the viewfinder. However, it could be that they've designed a nice cover for this camera. If so, it would be more elegant than my trash bag solution.

Robin Davies-Rollinson June 21st, 2005 11:32 AM

Richard,
I've bought one, but I haven't had to use it in anger yet ;-)
I certainly fits around the camera very well and includes a transparent pocket for the LCD viewfinder, which is nice.
It's only at its best of course with the camera stripped down to its basic shape, so if you've got an extra mic on board, you won't have the same protection...

Robin

Duncan Craig June 21st, 2005 02:17 PM

I've got the KATA Z1 cover it seems very goo to me. Of course I haven't used it yet in rain but it's very well made, with lots of room for an external mic.

In total it has 3 velco lined holes, each with a drawstring for closing the holes down, as well as a double velcro lined bottom, which gives you a tube to put your hand into.

It's hard to explain how it works really you'd have to see it.

Richard Entwistle June 23rd, 2005 09:37 AM

Thanks for feedback guys. I tried out the Sony cover that seems fine, albeit a bit constrained. Would use an external mic sometimes, so the Kata being more roomy (and longer) seems the better option for me. Have therefore ordered from B&H and should have it within a week.

Will still carry some plastic bags though Bill!! Rain here can be quite heavy (and from any direction). The Sony cover had less protection on the underside, which is another reason I felt the Kata more suited for here.

Richard

Garius Hill June 27th, 2005 06:13 AM

rain coat for Z1

Hi guys,

We just bought (2) Z1U's and puchased the Petrol HDV rolling bags. They are designed expecially for these cameras. If purchased at B&H it comes with a rain coat made for the Sony HDV cameras. Here is the link:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

The Petrol bag is great for the cameras bnecuase it is something between a case and a bag. The bag has a firm padded frame around the camera giving it good protection. Because I live in New York, I need something lightweight that protects the camera. Having the rolling option has already been a real help. I am able to pull the bag while carrying tripods and other equipment while on the move in NY. The rain coat looks thoroughly thought out, although I haven't had to use it yet, when I do I will repost.

Richard Entwistle June 27th, 2005 07:04 AM

Hi Garius,

Now you tell me! :) Have already ordered the Kata but should be fine as I still have my Portabrace PD150 backpack that I will use to transport Z1. Will be hiking, so backpack is best option.

I also have my old VX2000 aluminium case that needs the cutouts modifying to fit the Z1 inside, so good to reuse 'old' accessories when upgrading to new camcorders. Never bought a rainjacket, so the Kata with its roominess should fit anything I might jump to in future (of similar size to Z1).

Let us know how you go on with the Petrol bag. I had the JVC5000 bag that was very well designed and would certainly agree that Petrol bags are worth considering - expecially when designed for specific camcorders.

Richard

Bill Pryor June 27th, 2005 10:00 AM

A good thing to keep with you is one of those big golfing umbrellas. They're only about 10 bucks and big enough for you and the camera on a tripod. I had to stand out beside a highway in the rain for a few hours shooting traffic and used one. It helps to have an assistant, or a C-stand to hold it. If it's windy, forget it.