DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   some considerations comparing Z1 vs Ex1r (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/480543-some-considerations-comparing-z1-vs-ex1r.html)

Federico Perale June 17th, 2010 04:16 AM

some considerations comparing Z1 vs Ex1r

after a few days of testing one vs the other i can sum up some of my conclusions

the EX1r clearly wins in terms of sheer quality of the output, but there are a few things i like more the Z1 for.

that is
1) the Z1 is lighter, even with a full capacity large battery. i don't think this creates a problem with hand-held being too shaky and I really like the balance of the Z1 and it's really well built- i simply cannot use the Ex1 for handheld things for longer than a few minutes
2) the Z1's viewfinder is better, in my opinion. I just don't particularly like the viewfinder of the Ex1 (whereas on the LCD there's no comparison, and the EX1 is a clear winner - also please check my other thread related to some aliasing I noticed on the Z1 at PAL setting)
3) there seem to be more standard shutter speed settings on the Z1 (I am not counting for slow shutter settings)
4) a few nice options such as color grading and color extraction that i really like
5) CCD.....
6) you have a dedicated button for a "user menu" that you can configure to your liking - nice!
7) the remote is sturdier and doesn't feel like a toy (in my opinion) like the small one of the Ex1r. (too bad it doesn't have the touch autofocus button) - I REALLY hate the Ex1's remote - what were they thinking??

on pretty much everything else (connections, PPs settings, work-flow, low light performance,lens etc etc), the EX1r wins by a mile, but overall I am pleased to own both, as they have each a unique personality, and the output of the Z1 is soft but in a way I really like.

Boyd Ostroff June 18th, 2010 04:13 PM

Interesting. I use both myself - here are my thoughts:

1. There really is a huge difference in weight and ergonomics. I have the Century (Vocas) mattebox with shoulder brace on my EX1 which works pretty well handheld. But I need to get in better shape for some handheld EX1 shooting in July. :-)

2. That's something I haven't seen before. I have the EX1 (not "r") and the viewfinder is exactly the same as the Z1... which is terrible IMO. The higher resolution viewfinder on the EX1r seemed like it would be a plus.

3. Haven't noticed this as I always shoot 60i 1/60 shutter on the Z1. I really like the 24p and 30p modes on the EX1.

4. The color correction and extraction on the Z1 seemed like a cool feature when I first got the camera, but after playing around with it for a couple days, I never used it again. The EX1 allows vastly more control over color and picture IMO.

5. I never realized how much I needed CMOS until I got the EX1!

6. Never really used this feature on the Z1.

7. Don't use the remotes on either camera. But solid state recording on the EX1 sure makes it convenient to plug into my 46" Bravia and review footage.

The Z1 is still a nice camera, and I am very comfortable with it because I know just what to expect. I use it to shoot all the archive video of our opera performances.

Shaun Roemich June 18th, 2010 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff (Post 1539976)
2. That's something I haven't seen before. I have the EX1 (not "r") and the viewfinder is exactly the same as the Z1... which is terrible IMO. The higher resolution viewfinder on the EX1r seemed like it would be a plus.

I thought the VIEWFINDER was the same between the EX1 and the EX1r and that it was only the LCD panel that was upgraded (and it is a HUGE improvement over either the Z1 or the previous EX1)

Colin Rowe June 20th, 2010 06:07 AM

Its the VF that has been upgraded on the EX1r, its a vast improvement on the EX1 VF. The LCD is the same, still brilliant.

Boyd Ostroff June 20th, 2010 06:59 AM

Exactly - and that is why I was surprised that the OP thought the Z1 viewfinder was better than the EX1r. I think the EX1r viewfinder is the same as the Z7 and I have seen one of these. The higher resolution made it much for useful for focusing, but the image size seemed a bit small and the tonal quality was not as nice as the EX1 LCD panel. All things considered, I would still prefer it to the viewfinder on my EX1 which is not very useful due to the low resolution.

Shaun Roemich June 20th, 2010 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin Rowe (Post 1540372)
Its the VF that has been upgraded on the EX1r, its a vast improvement on the EX1 VF. The LCD is the same, still brilliant.

Darned Placebo Effect...

I "knew" that the LCD panel "was upgraded" so the last time I used the EX1r I was SURE that the panel looked better the the EX1... amazing how one can talk oneself into seeing what one wants...

Thanks for setting me straight. <hangs head in shame>

Tom Hardwick June 26th, 2010 11:04 AM

Go out into direct sunlight and there's simply no question about it - the Z1's top screen is light years better than the EX1R's, and for one reason only - you can see the image on the Z1's screen.

OK, the EX's is far higher resolution, but in any run 'n' gun situation a visible screen is a lot more valuable than a higher res one. A LOT more.

tom.

Adrian Nemeti March 31st, 2011 12:49 PM

Re: some considerations comparing Z1 vs Ex1r

Hi. I have both cameras.
At Z1 i like the CCD, custom butons (i use only for fine adjusting of the WB), ergonomics.
Ex1 weight is a real problem for me ( i'm use it with wide lens and U60 batt huuh). I'm not happy with the noise over 6db gain and also with the min 1/60 shutter speed.
Each one has a clear purpose and i have to love them :)