DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Gain readout - Z1U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/49877-gain-readout-z1u.html)

Carroll Lam August 23rd, 2005 08:15 PM

Gain readout - Z1U

In the PD150 you could push the Gain button (while in the manual mode) and get a readout of the current gain setting that the camcorder had set automatically.

When you do this on the Z1U the camera switches to the H/M/L gain setting that you have programmed given what the gain selection switch is set to. This prorgrammed value is only coincidentally equal to what the camcorder had automatically set until one activates the gain button.

Is there any way, while in the Record/pause mode to get a readout of the actual gain setting that the camcorder would prefer?

Carroll Lam

Boyd Ostroff August 23rd, 2005 08:28 PM

Not sure that I understand... in manual mode (selector switch in center position) the LCD displays the shutter, iris and gain all the time. Do you want to see what these setting are in auto mode? I don't ever use auto, but it seems that none of these things are displayed there (selector switch in the left position). Do you want to switch from auto to manual and then see what the auto settings had been? Maybe that isn't possible with the gain?Not sure why I would want to do that personally...

Bjorn Moren August 24th, 2005 12:14 AM

I dont think it's possible to get a gain readout Carroll. At least on my FX1 it's impossible. If you're worried about what gain the camera uses in autoexposure, use the "AGC LIMIT" setting in the picture profile you're using. It will set a cap to the gain so image won't be so noisy. If you're interested you can always get a gain readout later, with the picture data.

I always use manual settings when I can control the situation, but many times that's not possible. In those AE cases sometimes the camera exposes well, and sometimes not. When not, I know of no better way than to try "Back light"/"Spot light", and if that doesn't work, adjust the brightness in the picture profile. I think the camera is great, but it would have been even greater with a readily available "AE compensation" knob somewhere, perhaps the iris knob could have had that function when in AE mode.

Carroll Lam August 24th, 2005 12:14 PM

Thanks for the replies. You've pretty well confirmed my findings. I realize that one should seldom use auto settings but many times (as I could with the PD150) I would like to set a desired shutter speed and aperture, then press the gain button and see what the resulting gain would be with that setting of shutter and aperture.

I was just trying to determine if I was missing a way to get that readout. Apparently not.

Thanks, anyway.

Carroll Lam

Frank Feijen August 25th, 2005 12:37 AM

Bjorn,

Do you mean something like 'auto exposure override' as is found on the Z1?
You push an assigned button and use the irisknob to manually adjust up/down.
It's handy indeed, but i don't know if it's available on the FX1.

Bjorn Moren August 25th, 2005 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Feijen
Bjorn,

Do you mean something like 'auto exposure override' as is found on the Z1?
You push an assigned button and use the irisknob to manually adjust up/down.
It's handy indeed, but i don't know if it's available on the FX1.

Didn't know the Z1 had such a function. That would have been great to have for the FX1. Thanks Frank.