DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Two camera interview (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/50553-two-camera-interview.html)

John McCully September 5th, 2005 12:14 PM

Two camera interview

I’m planning on shooting a 2 camera interview, close up and personal, and this will be a first for me so I’m seeking advice, tips, do’s and do nots. The cameras will be an HDR-FX1 and an HVR-Z1 on tripods and I shall be recording HDV. Probably shoot this in a lightly shaded outdoor location away from extraneous noise but with lots of indirect light. I shall plug an AT897 mic into either the Z1 or the BeachTek on the FX1 and use a boom pole to get the mic in close between the two doing the speaking. Steady shot off, right?

And I shall be editing in Vegas 6 switching back and forth but not necessarily in sync with who is talking, just like in the movies ha ha. At least that’s the goal. Seems simple enough! I just know there are things I don’t know about this seemingly simple shoot/edit and I bet many of you pros. go down this road all the time.

If you have time to share your do’s and do nots, in regards both the shoot and the editing, that would be truly appreciated.

John

Douglas Spotted Eagle September 5th, 2005 12:25 PM

I’m planning on shooting a 2 camera interview, close up and personal, and this will be a first for me so I’m seeking advice, tips, do’s and do nots. The cameras will be an HDR-FX1 and an HVR-Z1 on tripods and I shall be recording HDV. Probably shoot this in a lightly shaded outdoor location away from extraneous noise but with lots of indirect light. I shall plug an AT897 mic into either the Z1 or the BeachTek on the FX1 and use a boom pole to get the mic in close between the two doing the speaking. Steady shot off, right?
Steady shot off, I'd use the Z1 for audio myself, and run a secondary backup on the FX1, even if it's just a cheapie lav. This will also give you better audio options for sync.

And I shall be editing in Vegas 6 switching back and forth but not necessarily in sync with who is talking, just like in the movies ha ha. At least that’s the goal. Seems simple enough! I just know there are things I don’t know about this seemingly simple shoot/edit and I bet many of you pros. go down this road all the time.
These are usually referred to as J-cuts and L-cuts, where picture begins but audio isn't finished, or audio begins but picture hasn't started yet. (as relates to the sync)

Consider underexposing a bit to bring out the color, particularly outdoors where you've got some sun creating hot spots. Be sure the camera is in manual mode. Record the audio so average is in the -12dB range, no peaks louder than -3dB. Be sure all cables are tied down so you don't get cable slap on the boom. I like the big-ball hairties from Walmart or Target for this. Open your aperture wide if you're going for the "movie look" with depth of field.
Have fun.

John McCully September 11th, 2005 12:49 PM

Thanks Douglas Spotted Eagle, most helpful and appreciated. Capturing two audio streams as you suggested certainly makes sense to me. As it happens my colleague with the other camera, the Z1, also has an AT mic not dissimilar to my at 897. Don’t have the model number at my fingertips but I understand it is a longer version of the 897. Any reason why I should not hang both mics side by side from the same boom pole? Or is there a better approach?

Pardon my ignorance but a two camera shoot is a new experience for me. An FX1 and a Z1…

Am I having fun :-)

Thanks again.