DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   ARGH! HELP!! FX1 and ILINK (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/59489-argh-help-fx1-ilink.html)

Peter Wallington January 31st, 2006 06:29 AM

ARGH! HELP!! FX1 and ILINK

ARGH!

I've just got my shiny new FX1 and it's GREAT! However, i've filmed a few minutes of test footage, and i can't get the computer to recognise the camera.

When i plug my old XM2 in, it's immediately recognised and all is fine.
When i plug my FX1 in, NOTHING happens. It's not even acknowledged that i've plugged something in!
I've tried the FX1 in DV instead of HDV mode, and every combination of things i can think of, including hitting the reset button a number of times, but still no joy.

In addition, in the FX1 connectivity menu, under each of the settings (such as "I.LINK CONV. ON/OFF" it permanently says "changes NOT allowed. Unplug I.LINK cable" even though the ILINK cable is not connected and even after switching on and off and resetting.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Mick Jenner January 31st, 2006 06:34 AM

What computer system are you useing?
If windows, you need to have XP with service pack 2 for it to recognise the camera.
Re i link, that is normal

hope this helps

regards

Mick

Peter Wallington January 31st, 2006 06:34 AM

Thanks Mick, yes I am using XP SP2

Boyd Ostroff January 31st, 2006 08:27 AM

Personally I just ignore that error message, which both the FX1 and Z1 give regardless of whether anything is plugged into it. From your description I can't really understand what the problem is (probably an operating system or software issue on your computer, but I use Macs) - but that error message shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Peter Wallington January 31st, 2006 09:41 AM

WOHOO!

After the best part of an hour and a half talking to Sony customer service, with the conclusion that it must be a faulty DV interface on the camera (he said the error message was definitely a bad sign), i went an bought a new firewire card, just to make completely sure it wasn't that.....

AND NOW IT WORKS!!!!

What are the chances!
Bit odd, cos the XM2 and my external drives worked fine with the old card but not the FX1 - how strange.
Still, i don't care anymore!!! I'm off to play!

Matt Vanecek January 31st, 2006 01:38 PM

Windows XP SP2 and FireW--um, 1394.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Wallington
WOHOO!

After the best part of an hour and a half talking to Sony customer service, with the conclusion that it must be a faulty DV interface on the camera (he said the error message was definitely a bad sign), i went an bought a new firewire card, just to make completely sure it wasn't that.....

AND NOW IT WORKS!!!!

What are the chances!
Bit odd, cos the XM2 and my external drives worked fine with the old card but not the FX1 - how strange.
Still, i don't care anymore!!! I'm off to play!

Peter,
I've had issues with GL2 and FX1 on my Firewire. #1 for the FX1: Make sure that if your tape is filmed in HDV mode, you have the iLink out set to NOT convert (or I think there might be an auto setting). Edit...this is assuming you want to capture HDV, of course If your tape is DV mode, set the iLink appropriately. That "error message" is not an error message, I don't believe--I think of it more as a reminder that if you switch modes while the camera is plugged in, you may have to disconnect/reconnect the camera for the mode change to be detected. Also, when in HDV mode, I never see the device show up in "My Computer", but the device does show up in the Device Manager (if you look). I usually just use my PPro to tell me if the capture device is hooked up propertly or not, when doing HDV.

Also, with respect to FireWire on XP SP2---it SUCKSSS!!! I have an onboard, and also a PCI card. I spent several nights of debugging, etc., with MS support (problems with both disks and cameras). Finally got a pre-SP3 patch (available only via customer support) that stabilized things, more or less. I keep my external drives on one 1394 interface (the PCI card) and my camera on the other. Daisy-chaining hard drives is still pretty flaky, and having the camera daisy-chained or on the same bus as the disks is REALLY flaky.

Microsoft will tell you that SP2 is much more compliant with the 1394 specs than was SP1--which implies that ALL the hardware manufacturers play fast-n-loose with standards. Unfortunately, MS has a reputation and history of going outside agreed-upon standards and attempting to set their own standards. Who to believe? Who knows/cares. The end result is still a flaky 1394 interface, and I more expect my OS to support my devices. I *personallY* think MS screwed something up in SP2 that messed up their 1394 interface, and just doesn't want to own up to it (just my opinion).

So, your hardware is probably fine, but the OS is flaky in its support of the hardware, which is why your XM2 still works on the one interface, and the FX1 has problems on that same interface (assuming good cables, of course).

Anyhow, that's my diatribe, based on a week of frustration trying to get a new installation of XP-SP2 to work with all my FireWire devices--and it's still not more than 75% reliable.

NOTE: Others have reported no problems with XP/SP2 and Firewire. I wish I was one of them...

ciao,
Matt

Boyd Ostroff January 31st, 2006 05:00 PM

I've had to remove a few posts from this thread that were completely off-topic and evidently refered to some unrelated thread. If you disagree with something Peter said in another thread then your remarks belong there, but personal attacks are absolutely forbidden at DVinfo. Thanks for your cooperation.