DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Sony fx1 in Australian Stores! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/67275-sony-fx1-australian-stores.html)

Dean Loaney May 12th, 2006 11:52 PM

Sony fx1 in Australian Stores!

Hey there, I was interested in purchasing a HVX200, spending an entire day reading everything I could about the camera and fell in love, until I saw the Pal price....

So im just gonna go with an fx1-e, although there has been very few stores which offer it for cheaper prices... its still selling for $5000+ at several online stores.

If anyone knows any Oceanic stores offering good prices id appreciate it if you could PM me or reply!

Thanks.

Leo Pepingco May 13th, 2006 04:16 AM

Although I dont reccomend Online stores, due to lack of Warranty as most of them are Grey sellers. I could point you to www.entique.com.au

They have the FX1 for $4,800 AUD plus postage and handling. Which could be around $5 grand AUD.

Having said that, Oceanic stores ie, Australia, sell FX1's between $4.9 grand - $5.5 grand AUD. And these are acreddited Sony dealers. if you live in OZ, I reccomend:

www.videocraft.com.au - Based in Sydney (Artarmon)
www.videoguys.com.au - Based in Melbourne
www.tasmanav.com.au - Based in Melbourne..

there are others, but I reccomend these. I buy my accessories at video guys, to me, they are like the B&H of OZ. They sell it cheaper than RRP, but a few bucks more then the copetition, but reliable. Others i've sopken too also stick to TAZAV. Never go wrong with them...

Good luck.

Dean Loaney May 13th, 2006 06:44 AM

Thanks for the reply leo!

Graeme Fullick May 13th, 2006 03:46 PM

Dean,

I have bought several cameras from here

http://www.globalmediapro.com/av/ind...corders&page=2

and they have been excellent. Grey market, but you can buy a Mack warranty and are still ahead. Just make sure that you check the importation costs from New Zealand with customs to make it worthwhile.

David Farland May 13th, 2006 07:09 PM

Dean,
As you're in Sydney I'd go to Videocraft.

For Sony stuff they've always matched a price or been lower.
Honest outfit and given me excellent service, ask for Daniel.

I purchased a FX1 from them in January for $4700.

Go to www.staticice.com.au to check market prices thou.
Dave,

Bob Grant May 13th, 2006 08:12 PM

Also in Sydney and a legit shopfront retailer is G&V Imaging in the city, bought my DSR-11, DSC F828 and Nikon film scanner from them. I saved $500 on the DSR-11 compared to Sony dealer pricing.

Richard Plumridge May 14th, 2006 06:07 AM

Hey guys, thought it was time to break my 'Tourist' tag...

I'm all for VideoGuys. Bought an FX1 kit there last year and they always are friendly and very helpful. I have found in the past that it's important to build up good relationships with your dealers...you never know what's around the corner with cameras and a trusting relationship goes a long way.

Nothing against getting a better financial deal maybe online, but sometimes it is just better to pay to get good service!

Richard

Brett Schofield May 14th, 2006 06:26 PM

I have also ordered an FX1 from Videoguys. I hope to be getting it in the next day or two. I ordered the ultra bundle and got a really good deal. Cant wait!

Dean Loaney May 15th, 2006 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett Schofield
I have also ordered an FX1 from Videoguys. I hope to be getting it in the next day or two. I ordered the ultra bundle and got a really good deal. Cant wait!

Hey Brett, care to share? :)

Congrats!

Tom Hardwick May 15th, 2006 11:49 AM

And what about:
http://www.globalmediapro.com/

Based in NZ - not too far from you (!)

Brett Schofield May 16th, 2006 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Loaney
Hey Brett, care to share? :)

Congrats!

SHARE?.....I guess you mean the price.....well as they dont have any of the tripods in stock and wont for some time, I decided to go for a monopod for now and I swapped out the stock bag they offered for the special edition SONY FX1/Z1 bag all for around $5900 which I think was a good deal....other may not, I dont know!!

Thanks

Leo Pepingco May 16th, 2006 06:44 AM

Its a good deal... trust me... I was able to buy my FX1 at the cheapest avaliable to Aussies, and I kinda wish I didnt... But I got mine for 4.7k. Packages are really great, considering FX1's sell for 5.2k average at regular retail stores.

Grey sellers sell for cheaper, but often it has an obscure warranty... Mine will probably wont be covered because when I checked, I have both the Chinese and English manuals, and no registration papers. But its PAL, its FX1E and the camera is damn good....

The only reason why I didnt get the Videocraft prackage going for 5.9k is that I wanted to buy a basic fluid head tripod and invest in a Rode vidieo mic (to avoid the bulk of a Beachtech) and then put the savings toward a steadycam system. I would never have used the tripod they offered because I only use one 10% of the time anyway. I'm a film maker and have no real need for static cameras. Still, if you need the basic sets, the Videocraft package is the best I've seen..

Eric Gan May 16th, 2006 07:20 PM

I can vouch for Globalmediapro. Got an FX-1 from them shipped to Sydney. DHL slapped on about $450 worth of taxes, but the total still came out under $4500 AUD. Got it within 4 business days, so it was very quick.

The order process is a bit wonky. You put in a bid for a price, then you have a few days to wire the money into their account. However, their prices continually fluctuates (prices are tied 80% agaist the yen, 20% against the U.S. dollar). When making a bigger purchase, that can translate into a few hundred dollars difference the next day. So it pays to keep an eye out on your exchange rate when buying from this place.

Dean Loaney May 17th, 2006 08:08 PM

If i ordered an FX1-e from B&H video, will the warrenty be void? Or does Sony recognise them?

And if there IS warrenty on it, would it have to be shipped back to America for repairs?

Leo Pepingco May 18th, 2006 07:35 AM

I'd suggest not getting it from B&H is you live in OZ.

One, the price B&H ask for is slightly more inflated than the price they offer for NTSC. If you do the conversion, it comes close to the price we see here in OZ... about 5grand AUD.

Add to that the shipping costs and GST and you have an inflated FX1 which you were better off getting here in Australia in the first place.