DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Multi camera Time Code sync (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/81991-multi-camera-time-code-sync.html)

Chris Li December 18th, 2006 09:31 AM

Multi camera Time Code sync

Sony Z1 has no TC out but past experience with Panasonic DVX100 cameras (also no TC out) allowed me to set cameras TC in free run and use one remote control to start all cameras TC at same time ! Not perfect jam sync, but cameras show same TC.
Can same trick be used w/Z1 cameras or must I drag out my trusty old clap slate ?

Happy Holidays.

chris/DC metro area DP

Douglas Spotted Eagle December 18th, 2006 09:51 AM

yes, you can do this with the Z1. Nice thing about the V1 though, is you can use Firewire output to match all cams to one master.

Chris Li December 18th, 2006 04:17 PM

Ho, Ho, Ho !

Of course, the V1 is on my xmas list. Either that or a lump of coal in my stocking.

thanks & happy holidays,

chris li/wash dc area DP

Carlos E. Martinez December 19th, 2006 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Li
Sony Z1 has no TC out

Who says it doesn't?

As far as I know you can pick the TC on the LANC interface. Or can't you on the Z1?

If that changed I didn't know it.

What I do remember is that you can buy a box that will convert the Lanc output into an SMPTE TC. That you couldn't do on the Panasonic, because they don't have a LANC.

Chris Hocking December 19th, 2006 05:17 AM

You certainly can! Well, in theory at least. I've never tried it personally. Technically speaking Sony's LANC protocol can transmit/receive time code.

This cool device converts LANC to MIDI Time Code.

This cool device converts Analogue LTC (SMPTE) and MTC (Midi) Time Code to LANC.

Carlos E. Martinez December 19th, 2006 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hocking
You certainly can! Well, in theory at least. I've never tried it personally. Technically speaking Sony's LANC protocol can transmit/receive time code.

This cool device converts LANC to MIDI Time Code.

This cool device converts Analogue LTC (SMPTE) and MTC (Midi) Time Code to LANC.

I don't think you can input TC into the Z1. What I think can be done is use the TC to synchronize audio later on.

I think the Canon is the only DV/HDV camera that can be synchronized to another Canon camera.

Chris Hocking December 19th, 2006 05:49 PM

I'm pretty sure you're right - the Z1P doesn't accept incoming time code. However, you can take the time code coming out of the Z1's LANC and use it to supply time code slates, audio devices, other cameras (that support incoming timecode), etc.

I'm sure someone will come up with a device that will convert Sony's LANC into Firewire so you can sync the Z1 and the V1. Well, unless Sony come out with a new Z1... Anyway!

Carlos E. Martinez December 19th, 2006 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hocking
I'm pretty sure you're right - the Z1P doesn't accept incoming time code. However, you can take the time code coming out of the Z1's LANC and use it to supply time code slates, audio devices, other cameras (that support incoming timecode), etc.

Yes, that you can do. Pity very few are doing so, I think. There seems to be strong resistance from many videomakers in embracing double-system techniques. Acting as if audio provided in video cameras, particularly HDV, was good or even good enough.

Audio was never a strong point in video equipment, and it has been proven that continues to be in DV and worst in HDV.

In any case, the double-system flag is one I will continue to wave forever.

Quote:

I'm sure someone will come up with a device that will convert Sony's LANC into Firewire so you can sync the Z1 and the V1. Well, unless Sony come out with a new Z1... Anyway!
Well, Douglas said above that the V1 already can link to the Z1. But I don't know how you can link more than two.

Chris Hocking December 19th, 2006 07:17 PM

Douglas, did you mean you can sync a Z1 to a V1 or just a V1 to a V1? If you can sync a V1 with OTHER cameras - that's fantastic!

Chris Hurd December 19th, 2006 10:26 PM

See my article "Using Free Run Time Code as an External Sync Substitute for HVR-Z1U Multi-Camera Shoots" for the exact procedure. Assuming that the V1 has the same menu structure and responds to the same Remote Commander, you should be able to mix and match Z1 and V1 camcorders with this method. Hope this helps,

Chris Hocking December 19th, 2006 10:57 PM

Sorry Chris - I meant syncing via firewire. I know you can "sync" Z1's using a remote. I'm not sure you can use the same technique for syncing a Z1 and a V1 as I assume the menu structure is different. Can anyone with a V1 confirm?

Douglas Spotted Eagle December 19th, 2006 11:01 PM

With the HVR-V1U, you can sync as many V1's as you'd like, one at a time.
Connect the two via firewire, and choose one as Master. Then connect the third, fourth, fifth, however many to the Master, and it will set their beginning clock to the same points. Once you've set them all, then you can start recording, knowing they're all at exactly the same point.
They're not connected during recording.
Only the HVR-V1 has this option; you cannot use a V1 to lock up a Z1 or A1.
Hopefully this clarifies the iLink options?

Chris Hocking December 19th, 2006 11:15 PM

Certainly does! Thanks Douglas.

So my point still remains: I'm sure someone will come up with a device that will convert Sony's LANC into Firewire so you can sync the Z1 and the V1. Well, unless Sony comes out with a new Z1... Anyway!

Bill Ward December 20th, 2006 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd

Chris: Thanks for posting that article. I used it for a 3 camera Z1U shoot last week.

Unfortunately, by a couple of hours into the shoot, one camera had drifted 9 frames short, and the other 10 frames long...so it wasn't an effortless match in the AVID, but close enough to do the rough edit pretty quickly.

Chris Li December 20th, 2006 07:49 AM

[QUOTE=Chris Hurd]See my article "Using Free Run Time Code as an External Sync Substitute for HVR-Z1U Multi-Camera Shoots" for the exact procedure.

Yes, another reason DVI rules. I'm going to try this technique soon with 3 different Sony hdv cameras - Z1, A1, & V1. Sounds like it should work.