DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   How does 24p conversion (DV Filmmaker/Magic Bullet) look on FX1, Z1, A1, etc? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/94790-how-does-24p-conversion-dv-filmmaker-magic-bullet-look-fx1-z1-a1-etc.html)

James A. Davis May 23rd, 2007 07:18 AM

How does 24p conversion (DV Filmmaker/Magic Bullet) look on FX1, Z1, A1, etc?

Earlier this year I was going to buy a FX1. But I decided to save the money and use some of it to finance my current project. Now that the project is near completion, I'll be able to buy the FX1 very soon. I've been looking at Pannies HVX200 but will be darned if I spend $4000 plus additional cash for P2 cards. The FX1 you can get for around $2500-$3000 depending on where and who you buy it from (always get a warranty and insurance people). Plus it has the down conversion. Its a good buy for a 1st time HD cam. Anyhow upon this cams release 2 1/2 years ago I along with many were displeased with the now infamous lack of 24p with Sony (with the exception of the new HVR-V1U). So regarding the 60i HDV conversion to 24p HDV, how would you say it looks? I know DV filmmaker has a HD editing program for around 100-200 bucks.

Douglas Spotted Eagle May 23rd, 2007 07:23 AM

DVFilmMaker does an outstanding job of converting the 60i to 24p. The motion resampling is convincing, and worth the cost if this is the look you're wanting.

James A. Davis May 23rd, 2007 07:30 AM

Compared with the HVX200...

Would you say its up to par with the HVX200's 24p? How drastic is the difference?

Evan C. King June 1st, 2007 09:03 PM

The canon a1 isn't much more than the fx1 if you look around.

Bob Grant June 2nd, 2007 11:44 PM

Seems an odd question. If you want 24p from a Sony camera why not shoot 24p on a Sony camera such as the V1U or better yet wait for the XDCAM EX?

Maybe I've missed something here but there's now so many 24p cameras available with more on the way, shooting 60i to deliver 24p today doesn't seem necessary. No matter how good the 60i to 24p conversion is, would it ever be better than shooting 24p in the first place?

Christopher Witz June 4th, 2007 06:51 AM

If I spent as much time researching why, what, & how about 24p with the Z1/FX1 stuffing envelopes.... I'd be rich!

You are asking in the right place... but the answers will vary and you will end up wishing you spent more no matter what you buy.

I've settled for now with the Z1/FX1's using mac with final cut and the nattress plug-ins. Other than the time it takes to apply and tweak the filters... and the rendering times... I think the results are very good especially when sizing down to 1280X720.

I'm sure the Canon A1 will also look very good... some suggest better. But, there are a few things about the Z1/FX1 that I really like and would hate to be without... and they are; shot transition, low noise, tank-like build and reliability, great lcd screen, cheap batts, comfortable shooting at full auto or at full manual.

I think that if the Z1/FX1 shot 1080p out of the box you could double it's price and sell more than it already does at 1080i!