DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   FX1--HC1 Daisy chain problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/95165-fx1-hc1-daisy-chain-problem.html)

Betsy Moore May 27th, 2007 09:50 PM

FX1--HC1 Daisy chain problem

Hey guys, my FX1 has its Firewire port shot so a while back I bought a used Sony HC1 to load my tapes into my Final Cut Pro and as a B camera--but the darned thing's tape deck never worked very well (cried "Moisture--remove tape and shut off for an hour" for no good reason half the time) and now the tape deck is completely not working. Can't afford the 500-600 dollars to get it fixed (and if I could I'd spend a few hundred extra and buy a new entry level HDV cam). Is there any way I can play the tapes from my FX1 and stream that footage into my HC1 through a port other than Firewire and at the same time stream the footage through firewire from the HC1 back into the computer?

Many thanks if anyone has any ideas.

L,

Bets

Vito DeFilippo May 28th, 2007 07:44 AM

Hi Betsy,

It should be possible. You'd have to connect the two cameras by analogue cable. I don't have these two cameras, so I'm not sure exactly what in and out ports they have, but connect with the RCA cables, or preferably RCA for the audio, and SVideo for the video. You might need an adapter to connect the two together, but probably not. If you can, use the component out of the FX1, so that you are able to keep the High Definition signal. I think the composite output can only send out SD resolution.

Once they are connected, check the HC1 menu for AV/DV in/out. Most Sony cameras have this. Turn it on. This will enable the analogue signal coming in to be output over the firewire connection of the HC1, and you'd be able to see the signal on your computer.

You realize you will lose all reference to the original timecode of your tapes? If the computer crashes or whatever, and you lose your footage, you'd be screwed. You wouldn't be able to recapture. And you are losing a generation in your video quality.

It would be much easier and better quality to find a camera to use to capture by firewire.

Hope it works!

Ciao,
Vito

Boyd Ostroff May 28th, 2007 08:55 AM

You definitely cannot retain your high definition footage that way. None of the HD cameras we discuss around here are capable of capturing HDV via the analog component interface. It is only for output.

I don't know whether the HC1 is able to transcode standard definition via s-video or composite - look at your manual. But even if it can, you would only have standard definition at reduced quality because of the A/D conversion.

Seems like a more practical approach would be getting the firewire port your FX1 fixed, but I realize that costs money...

Vito DeFilippo May 28th, 2007 09:05 AM

Thanks for the clarification Boyd. I wasn't aware of the input limitation, only the output.

Betsy Moore May 28th, 2007 11:28 AM

Yeah, I guess I figured there was no way--but if there was a way and I didn't ask I'd be kickin' myself:) Oh, well, guess I'll be buying a new camera. Wonder if I can get anything for an HC1 with a broken deck...

Dave Blackhurst May 28th, 2007 01:06 PM

Betsy -
you can sell ANYTHING on Fleabay... broken ones bring $300-600 strangely enough... I'd expect you'd at least get the lower end of that, which would put you part way to a new cam - probably could use an HC3 or HC5 for a deck and those can go pretty cheap. Or go a bit more and grab the HC7 for a better quality backup/second cam depending on budget?

SOMEONE wil buy it to repair, or use as a straight "capture cam" direct to computer/HD.

DB>)

Betsy Moore May 28th, 2007 03:15 PM

Thanks Dave:) I feel a little better already:)