DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Mixing Different Sony Tapes (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/96310-mixing-different-sony-tapes.html)

Hans van Turnhout June 11th, 2007 03:01 PM

Mixing Different Sony Tapes

I have the Sony HVR-Z1. I haven't done very much shooting but up I have, up to now, always used the Sony Digital Master tape (PHDVM-63DM).

I'll be shooting (kind of back-up camera to the real camera team) some dragracing events this summer and my first session took place this weekend in Norway (it was great fun and, save for a F1 race in Germany, my first visit to a car race event ever). There were five cameras covering the event but since only two of us had HDV-cameras we all shoot standard 4:3 DV.

I know from past posts that you should never mix different brand of tapes since different brands use different lubrication (wet or dry) and that this could cause dropped frames and or clogging.

How about different Sony tapes? Are they all wet or dry? The reason I'm asking is that the Digital Master tapes are quite expensive (some +25 USD each in Sweden) and, if there is no risk connected with using "standard Sony tapes", I would use standard Sony tapes for dragracing events (the cost for tape alone during the two days in Norway was in excess of USD 200) to help reduce overall costs.

Any input is highly appreciated.

Regards

Hans

Serena Steuart June 12th, 2007 12:41 AM

Quite a number of reports say that using the ordinary DV tapes in HDV cameras is fine. I've only used the Sony HDV tapes, so my own experience isn't relevant.

Gareth Watkins June 12th, 2007 01:03 AM

Hi there

I've only ever used Sony Premiums in my Z1..and FX1 before that.. never had a problem..
I don't reuse tapes and have suffered very few drop outs..

Cheers
Gareth

Hans van Turnhout June 12th, 2007 02:00 AM

Thanks. I appreciate that it is safe using one brand and quality as long as you stick with that but the question is whether it also is safe using different quality tapes as long as you use the same brand, e.g. Sony. If the latter is the case I can use standard tapes for dragracing events (shot in 4:3 DV) and HDV-tapes for other events shot in HDV.

Regards

Hans

Ervin Farkas June 12th, 2007 07:02 AM

Call Sony

I would call Sony and ask them - but honestly I would not expect tech support to know the answer. I once called them asking a question on one of their most popular prosumer camcorders, the same Z1 as yours, and it took them half hour and going through five units just to replicate my problem...

Short of this info I would not hesitate to use ordinary Sony tapes, the lubricant is PROBABLY the same. I would use the cleaning tape for a minute or two before switching from one type to the other.

Boyd Ostroff June 12th, 2007 08:51 AM

I use mostly Sony Premium tapes in my Z1 and almost no dropouts in 2 years. I've also used Sony DVCAM tapes and haven't seen any problems from switching. Have never used the cleaning tape yet...

Hans van Turnhout June 13th, 2007 09:06 AM

Thanks, think I'll take the chance then and switch tapes.

//Hans