DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/)
-   -   Z5 Rolling Shutter with CF card (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/144857-z5-rolling-shutter-cf-card.html)

Rob Morse March 1st, 2009 08:16 AM

Z5 Rolling Shutter with CF card

I haven’t posted to the site but have come here periodically over the years.
Great mix of pro’s and skilled amateurs, it’s a great resource to have.
Anyway, after reading all the posts and speaking with people who own
the Z5 and similar cameras, I decided this was definitely the camera that fit
my needs best. When I saw the first shot of a flash, I thought, this is different
but really not that bad. Then I saw something that made me sick. It looked like
a huge digital dropout across the screen. I shot without tape using the MRC-1 and using
Lexar 300X CF cards. Please tell me this is not the norm and something is
wrong with the card. I appreciate the feedback. Is there anyway for me to post a screen
grab?

Greg Laves March 1st, 2009 08:47 AM

Rob, if you are referring to a white band or lighter colored band that goes across the frame, that is a result of the CMOS chip set and the rolling shutter. It has nothing to do with the fact that it was recorded to a card. Flashes can have various effects on the frames, from no banding to severe banding.

Rob Morse March 1st, 2009 08:56 AM

This was not a band. I could learn to live with the band.
This was a very noticable digital dropout. Sorry, I'm new
to posting here but I downloaded the pictures to an album
but & I'm not sure how to get them into the post. Can you
view my album? Thanks.

Greg Laves March 1st, 2009 11:06 AM

One pic appears to be the banding effect caused by photo flash. The other certainly isn't. I am not sure what would cause that. Obviously, the frame was not written correctly.

Ken Ross March 1st, 2009 11:33 AM

Rob, the first pix appears to be a dropout of some sort and the 2nd a rolling shutter effect. I've only been experimenting with the CF Recorder, but in over 100 clips I've yet to see anything that even remotely resembles what you have.

All my clips have been perfect, whether in HD or SD. I'm using both a Kingston 133X card and a Sony 300X card. The only difference I see between them is a faster response from the Sony card.

Rob Morse March 1st, 2009 12:04 PM

Greg & Ken, I appreciate the response. I had the same effect on the service from earlier in the day, which was on a different card. I can't go back to tape on the night shooting but I did shoot with tape & card at the service. I'll try getting it off the tape and see if it's on there. I'm glad that you're saying that's not normal. I've had a knot in my stomach all morning.

Rob Morse March 1st, 2009 02:56 PM

OK, it has nothing to do with the camera, it had something to do with the codec within my editor. With the way some people were complaining about the rolling shutter, I thought that may have been a part of it. Thank God it doesn't look like that. Well, this was a good way to start my first post.