CF Cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 3rd, 2009, 02:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

CF Cards

Apologies if this is mentioned somewhere already - could someone recommend the best CF cards to buy - there are so many makes out there - which is the most reliable?

Many thanks.
James Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Major Player

I only use sandisk extreme III 16gig cards never had a problem
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 09:27 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bec View Post
I only use sandisk extreme III 16gig cards never had a problem
Ditto. Can't wait to get 32GB ones (at reasonable prices!) though.
Steve Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Renouf View Post
Ditto. Can't wait to get 32GB ones (at reasonable prices!) though.
Little bit scary Steve using 32gb cards dont you think so much info on a card.

16gig gives you 74min just a bit more than a tape. Maybe i am just to paranoid
Old March 4th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew

CF card

Quote:

Surely running 32 gig cards and tape as a back up is the go. For a 2 hour recording session it means one write to a computer instead of 2.

I am looking at recording in SD as I run everything back to DVD or the internet. I am aware going HD and down converting is a touch better quality (though minimal to my eyes) but as so many of my recordings go beyond 60 minutes I am comfortable with SD using 83 minute Panasonic tapes in long play.

ooooo, I hear some say but honestly I have hardly ever had any issues with tape drop out especially since I never swap tape brands or use Sony tapes, at the end of a busy period I always clean the heads on my camera. If a tape at all looks a bit sus by way of drop out THROW IT OUT!

I just film so much and have such a small $$$$ margain that the SD/LP/ compact flash 32 gig cards will do me fine.

Can anyone tell me if you can run SD and Long play on the tape and SD to the compact flash card all at the same time? Please say yes.

How much SD can you get on a 16 gig card? Assuming more minutes than in HD.
Martin Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:

I take your point, but for live performances (which generally run around 1.5 - 2.5 hours), not having to change tapes would definitely be a boon - also save time capturing too. The relay facility (on the Z5) works great but it would definitely be better (for me) to not have to change tapes on these projects.

For projects where you're stopping/starting frequently, or where there is a definite break in the action allowing you to change tapes without missing anything, it makes no difference.

These days memory is pretty reliable - especially from the known brands.
Steve Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Duffy View Post
Surely running 32 gig cards and tape as a back up is the go. For a 2 hour recording session it means one write to a computer instead of 2.

I am looking at recording in SD as I run everything back to DVD or the internet. I am aware going HD and down converting is a touch better quality (though minimal to my eyes) but as so many of my recordings go beyond 60 minutes I am comfortable with SD using 83 minute Panasonic tapes in long play.

ooooo, I hear some say but honestly I have hardly ever had any issues with tape drop out especially since I never swap tape brands or use Sony tapes, at the end of a busy period I always clean the heads on my camera. If a tape at all looks a bit sus by way of drop out THROW IT OUT!

I just film so much and have such a small $$$$ margain that the SD/LP/ compact flash 32 gig cards will do me fine.

Can anyone tell me if you can run SD and Long play on the tape and SD to the compact flash card all at the same time? Please say yes.

How much SD can you get on a 16 gig card? Assuming more minutes than in HD.
Head cleaning after a busy period WHY you dont need to who told you to do that. I have already used close to 500 tapes in the space of 4months and not once have i used a head cleaning tape or had a drop out. Dont record in LP and dont use 83min tapes

You get 75min out of a 16gb card in either SD or HD
Old March 5th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #8
Trustee

I agree Bob. The less you mess with the heads the better. If you see a problem that's one thing, but if you don't, I think the less cleaning the better.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Still recording to tape????

What's the general feeling out there now that everyone, well alot of you, are using the CF cards.

Are you still running tape as a back up or are you pretty confident with the cf card system?
Martin Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #10
Major Player

Tapes have been around a long time and are still the best thing right now for archiving.
After 60 plus events (of 3 hours or more), I've had 1 digital dropout for about 3 frames. As long as I can shoot with both anyway, I'll keep running tape. That was the main reason I didn't buy the EX1. I may be in the minority but that's how I feel.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 10:32 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Duffy View Post
What's the general feeling out there now that everyone, well alot of you, are using the CF cards.

Are you still running tape as a back up or are you pretty confident with the cf card system?
I always shoot to tape and card

Put the tape on the shelf dump the footage to my raid 1 external unit awesome format the cards do the process again the following week. You cant get any safer than that
Old March 6th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse View Post
Tapes have been around a long time and are still the best thing right now for archiving.
After 60 plus events (of 3 hours or more), I've had 1 digital dropout for about 3 frames. As long as I can shoot with both anyway, I'll keep running tape. That was the main reason I didn't buy the EX1. I may be in the minority but that's how I feel.
I agree with you Rob. For me also to have a camcorder to to two things at the same time (record on tape and CF) it's magic!!!

Stelios
Old March 7th, 2009, 07:24 AM   #13
New Boot

But are you all using the cheaper tapes just for back up/archive whilst mainly relying on your CF cards? Or, for extra security/peace of mind do you still rely on the higher quality tapes?

Cheers

Paul
Paul Miley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 07:58 AM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Miley View Post
But are you all using the cheaper tapes just for back up/archive whilst mainly relying on your CF cards? Or, for extra security/peace of mind do you still rely on the higher quality tapes?

Cheers

Paul
Paul
I have been using Sony premium tapes all my life with no problem whatsoever. At the moment I am using the CF card to record when I change tapes but also I record HDV on tapes and DV (16:9) on the CF.
Old March 7th, 2009, 09:06 AM   #15
Major Player

I use Panasonic AMQ series and have never had a problem. I think the extra couple of dollars you pay to go from cheap to the better tapes pays dividends in the long run. Just build it into your price.

Stelios, you mention the other beautiful thing about this setup...recording dual formats simultaneously.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000