DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/)
-   -   Audio Settings (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/146470-audio-settings.html)

James Curran March 24th, 2009 03:17 AM

Audio Settings

Hi. I have been experimenting with the audio settings in the Z5E, but was wondering if someone could advise as to the best setup.

The camera came with the Sony ECM mic and I also purchased a Seinnheiser K66/ME66. What would be the best setup? The two possible scenarios are:
(i) Recording an interview outside - wanting to pick up some of the background noise, but not much - in this case is it best to setup the audio so that the Seinnheiser mic is only being used, e.g. on Input 1 and all other mics are OFF?
(ii) Recording of scenery etc - in this case it better to use both the onboard mic and the Sony ECM?

Many thanks.

Tom Hardwick March 24th, 2009 05:10 AM

I guess you mean the K6? Always better to keep the two audio tracks completely separate in the camera and always use two mics - that way in the edit you have a mixing choice.

Don't forget that the ME66 is described as a semi-shotgun mic and is designed to be used close to the sound source. Of course monitoring on decent noise reduction phones while you're filming will let you know if you're getting the right mix of sounds you're after.

tom.

William Ellwood March 24th, 2009 05:32 AM

I found my inexperience of using two mics an issue that I need to crack. My first story film with my Z5 had two actors in a kitchen (echoey) and I used a G2 wireless mic into one input, with a lapel onto one actor, and a ME66 mounted on the cam into the other input.

The sound levels we got about equal from the two mics, but in post I found that I couldn't separate the better parts of the soundtrack from the more echoey parts (the ME66, where I was speaking a few feet from the cam). I eventually captured the whole shoot in Prem 6.5 and selectively copied parts of the audio that had one side of the track less echoey. (cos CS4 had some controls to play with the audio tracks greyed out).

The movie is here Your Note Said It All on Vimeo

If I can re-shoot some of the movie again I will, but it was a first attempt at using two mics at the same time.

Rob Morse March 24th, 2009 09:53 AM

I'm not sure about your workflow but you should be able to separate the audio on capture or from within your editor. Are you sure you captured them independently? Did you monitor the audio in manual mode?

William Ellwood March 24th, 2009 10:14 AM

I captured the audio into the cam using both XLR inputs.I don't know if I was meant to order the channels first. I need to get my head round what is the best way of recording sound with the Z5.

Rob Morse March 24th, 2009 12:49 PM

William, you need to read the manual on that portion. It will tell you specifically which settings to use. You may be using both XLR's but it sounds like it's being mixed into 1 file. You have to make sure you have the right input and channel settings. Also, you really need to go manual for the best audio. I have never had success with the AGC settings especially with Sennheiser equipment. I can look at the camera when I get home and I can assist you more when its in front of me.