DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/)
-   -   Matte Box for Z5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/472336-matte-box-z5.html)

Rob Morse February 5th, 2010 07:49 PM

Matte Box for Z5

Anyone using a matte box on their Z5? I need to break down and get one but would like some info from someone that is using it. Thanks.

Leslie Wand February 6th, 2010 01:15 AM

i've been using a cheap indian one on my v1p - and it fits my new z5:

The CineCity*::*Matte box*::*Matte box without rod support*::*Wide angle Matte box mattebox + french flag for all DV HDV camera from 37mm to 82mm lens thread dia

it's cheap, and cheaply made, but pretty effective (i need to use a large cpl filter).

my other alternative when i last looked was either a formatt, or cavision, both of which were relatively expensive.

i might consider getting either of the above simply for the rotating stage in the filter holder - haven't needed it so far, but i'm beginning to enjoy playing with filters / nd gradients, etc.,

Stelios Christofides February 6th, 2010 02:57 PM

Leslie I also believe that a matte boxe shouldn't be more that $100. after all it's just a shade box.

Stelios

Dave Burckhard February 6th, 2010 06:12 PM

While most products involved in pro video is expensive, the three things I believe are vastly over-priced are: 1) video tape recorders of any pro format, 2) LED lighting systems, and 3) matte boxes. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I understand market and economic pressure, demand and supply, and all that jazz. I totally see product manufacturing opportunities here and, as has been posted, the Chinese and Indians are getting in to fill the gap. Makers like CineCity are grabbing that opportunity and we'll see more as competition drives prices to more reasonable levels.

Dave Burckhard
PicturePoint On-line

Rob Morse February 7th, 2010 09:26 AM

I agree about matte boxes being over priced but if it wasn't needed people wouldn't pay that price for it

David Dwyer February 9th, 2010 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Wand (Post 1482277)
i've been using a cheap indian one on my v1p - and it fits my new z5:

The CineCity*::*Matte box*::*Matte box without rod support*::*Wide angle Matte box mattebox + french flag for all DV HDV camera from 37mm to 82mm lens thread dia

it's cheap, and cheaply made, but pretty effective (i need to use a large cpl filter).

my other alternative when i last looked was either a formatt, or cavision, both of which were relatively expensive.

i might consider getting either of the above simply for the rotating stage in the filter holder - haven't needed it so far, but i'm beginning to enjoy playing with filters / nd gradients, etc.,

Thats a great price

Rob Morse February 10th, 2010 03:42 PM

I'm still looking. Thanks for the suggestions

Leslie Wand February 10th, 2010 04:47 PM

let us know what you find / decide....

Leslie Wand February 18th, 2010 03:49 AM

ok, now getting a bit more serious - really need a revolving stage.

anyone found anything further?

am looking (rather askance) at:

Wish List | B&H Photo Video

any thoughts?

Rob Morse February 18th, 2010 03:23 PM

I've been pretty busy so I haven't gone any further. The Petroff was one I was looking at. The problem is that a lot of things look good but who knows. That's the great thing about this site. You can check with others before you buy but it doesn't sound like anone is using it here. I also heard to go bigger than the 4x4. I've really been thinking about getting a wide lens also and the Sony comes with a sun shade. Not sure if that would do though.

Leslie Wand February 18th, 2010 04:37 PM

go bigger? if you're looking at the kit wa with filter the only problem is it's fixed. i'm slowly discovering the joys of gradients etc., all of which really need a revolving stage.

and you're dead right - it's one thing buying a screw on filter at $80 and finding the lens hood wont fit on afterwards, but spending $500+ is another matter entirely....

still looking / investigating,

leslie

Melvin Baggs February 20th, 2010 10:09 AM

CineCity Matte Box price

Leslie Wand and David Dwyer and all others interested in the Matte Box from CineCity the price is $69 plus $25 for shipping not the $99 listed on the link that is provided. By clicking on #1 under BestSellers on the link that you provide you will come to this link for the $69 price The CineCity*::*Matte box*::*Matte box without rod support*::*Wide angle Matte box mattebox + french flag for all DV HDV camera from 37mm to 82mm lens thread dia .

Oh, by the way I purchased one of those cheap Matte Boxes and for the price I think that It is one of the best deals on any piece of equipment for the Z5. Maybe I'm wrong but can anyone point out what a higher price Matte Box will do that this one can't.

Melvin Baggs

Rob Morse February 20th, 2010 02:33 PM

I'm no expert, and only in the investigating mode, but I think rod support is important as well as rotation ability for the filters. Looks good for the price. Do you own one? If so, how does it work for you?

Bill Koehler February 20th, 2010 04:51 PM

At that price the CineCity model looks unbeatable.

The question I have is how much weight should one be asking the ( lens / lens mount / filter threads ) to support?

Leslie Wand February 20th, 2010 05:05 PM

hi melvin,

that's the model i have at the moment - used as a screw on on both my old v1 and now z5.

unfortunately it doesn't have a rotating stage, which is why i'm asking here since i need one for my cpl filter, and will certainly for grads.

came up with these guys, and searching seems to give them good reviews:

True Lens Services

only problem i can see is that it's a pretty huge front end as compared to say the chroziel.....

leslie

btw. i have been very happy with the matte box - yes, it's cheaply made, the french flag's tightening system requires checking (you don't want a 16:9 black band on top in your 16:9 frame!), but other than that, bloody good value.