DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/)
-   -   Shotgun Mic Placement on FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/486058-shotgun-mic-placement-fx1000.html)

Anthony Cipriano October 12th, 2010 08:29 PM

Shotgun Mic Placement on FX1000

Hi all. i recently lost my FX-1 to a fall atop a monopod last week and found out the repairs are going to cost over $2500.00. Ouch. This weekend, I auditioned an FX1000 shooting a wedding and was bummed over the fact that I coudldn't mount a shotgun mount as I could for my FX-1. I have a Rode Vidmic and Senny G2 wireless lav system and because the lcd hinge doesn't allow for a shotgun mount, can anyone suggest what to do if I purchase a 1000? I like the fact that it has the same "feel" as my old Fx-1 and it's tape based. I know, make the switch to the AX2000 which is tapeless.
Any suggestions about mounting a shot gun mount on the 1000 aside from the coldshoe adapter?
Thanks everyone. Cheers.

Anthony
Cheshire, CT

Adam Gold October 12th, 2010 09:19 PM

I think you have a couple of alternatives, although in my other response I suggested what I think is the best one. But aside from that, if we're thinking of the same cold shoe adapter (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/407098-REG/Rycote_037303.html), it's sort of an extender that would move the VideoMic way forward and not interfere with the LCD screen. What I did when I had my FX1000s was to take the VideoMic apart, mount the mic part backwards in the shock mount and move the shoe mount to the rear of the new configuration, which also pushed the mic forward enough to get the screen open and closed.

If I'm remembering it correctly. It could be I just resigned myself to opening the LCD before I mounted the mic.

So do I understand correctly that the aftermarket mod that many people did, adding the Z1 shotgun mount to the LCD of the FX1, is not a possibility here?

Jeff Harper October 13th, 2010 06:47 AM

Light and Sound Video Bracket | L.A. Color Shop

Anthony Cipriano October 14th, 2010 07:25 PM

Shotgun mic placement

I looked the bracket up and and have a similar one for my now destroyed FX-1. However, that was a problem for me in terms of the handle strap. I just wasn't comfortable holding the cam and having the bracket come in the way.
The greatest alternative was that John Woo adapter that would screw onto the side of the FX-1's lcd screen hinge and, bingo! You had a perfectly useful shotgun mic holder. Over the weekend, I tried to fix that on an FX-1000 and no luck. The lcd screen hinge won't allow it. I really like the idea of having the mic off to the side instead of off of the cam's nose!

Michael Liebergot October 15th, 2010 03:25 PM

Anthony you could try this Hot Shoe Adapter
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/629485-REG/Rycote_042901_InVision_Video_Hot_Shoe.html
which would let you offset the mic a bit from the center of the camera.

I hear what you're saying in regards to the FX1000 and mounting a shotgun mic on it.
I did the same thing as you did with my FX1 and it made life so much easier for me.

But alas the same option wasn't available on the FX1000.
Thus is the reason that I am looking into the AX2000. As you get built in XLRs as well as a real shotgun mount. The only option you don't get is the ability to record or backup to tape as you do with the Z5 or the FX1000 with the MRC1 recorder via firewire.

Anthony Cipriano October 15th, 2010 08:45 PM

Shotgun mic placement

The Rycote looks promising as an alternative to the cold shoe mount. It's too bad that Sony reduced the size of the lcd in designing the FX1000 but I guess it made the cam all the more slim and lighter weighted. Like you, I am considering making the "plunge" to AVCHD and the 2000 but I like the tape alternative too. Unfortunately, when you price out the Z5U and the CF adapter, the price for both is way out there! Wonder if the shotgun mic on the Ax2000 is comparable to the Z5s? Have you had any experience editing this format? I'm reading pluses and minuses on B&H's site under this particular camera.

Leslie Wand October 15th, 2010 09:18 PM

any avchd format is going to require quite some umph in the edit pc.

Adam Gold October 16th, 2010 12:12 AM

The AX does not include the mic; the NX5 does. The mic included with the NX5 is the same one that comes with the Z5.

CS5 on a decent current PC edits AVCHD like butter.

AX2000, no mic = $3500
Z5, includes mic = $3800
NX5, includes mic = $4K

Mark Goodsell October 23rd, 2010 08:25 PM

I made a microphone holder similar to the Rycote shock mount, only mine was welded from steel, it was very ridgid. I used a blimp and a Sennheiser ME64 with the K6 and a blimp on my VX2000 for years. It was made like the Rycote where it would hang more off to the side so as to keep a low profile situation. The whole thing was large and I had it mounted on the shoe, again for many years -- I just left it on there all the time. I was concerned it might stress or damage the shoe but it never did. The screws on the shoe did come loose once in a whiel but were just tightened down. So, I wouldn't be too concerned with adding it to your FX, if anything, the shoe appears more robust than on the VX.

Mark G

Martin Wiosna February 15th, 2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot (Post 1579128)
Anthony you could try this Hot Shoe Adapter
Rycote InVision Video Hot Shoe Adapter 042901 - B&H Photo Video

which would let you offset the mic a bit from the center of the camera.

I hear what you're saying in regards to the FX1000 and mounting a shotgun mic on it.
I did the same thing as you did with my FX1 and it made life so much easier for me.

But alas the same option wasn't available on the FX1000.
Thus is the reason that I am looking into the AX2000. As you get built in XLRs as well as a real shotgun mount. The only option you don't get is the ability to record or backup to tape as you do with the Z5 or the FX1000 with the MRC1 recorder via firewire.

I was in the same boat (thinking about upgrading from FX1 to FX1000) and this sure solves my problem (I have a NTG-2 mic.)

I wonder why can't someone make a kit using the Z5 Mic holder just like someone took the Z1 for the FX1...