DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/)
-   -   fx1000 Can't see film unless pushing fast forward on camera.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/501124-fx1000-cant-see-film-unless-pushing-fast-forward-camera.html)

Michael Standley September 28th, 2011 08:36 AM

fx1000 Can't see film unless pushing fast forward on camera....

I have not been using as much lately, but i went to film for work and last night when I went home it just shows a blue screen when i try to play. I pressed the fast forward button and there it is... I let go and it goes blue again.

Things to know.
1. It was a new tape.

2. the tape i used 3 days before to film kids plays fine.

3. I did have a wireless mic connected for the 1st time ever.

4. I have not tested yet to try to reproduce.

5. When i use CS5 premire and try to capture it plays the blue screen but nothing is captured in timeline.

QUESTION:

6. any way to save the footage or am i out of luck ?

7. Has this happen to anyone else, if so what caused ?

8. flat out guesses :) ? (Maybe just a bad tape...)

I will test later today to try to reproduce.

Michael

A. Anyone way to get the footage i took yesterday or is it gone

Chris Soucy September 28th, 2011 06:34 PM

Re: fx1000 Can't see film unless pushing fast forward on camera....

Quote:

any way to save the footage or am i out of luck ?
No, the data is simply not there, you're screwed

Quote:

Has this happen to anyone else, if so what caused ?
Oh, heaps of people. It is caused by the tape mistracking across the write heads just enough so that there is enough information to build the whole frames (sort of) at the start of each GOP but the I frames do not contain enough data to build whole frames, which is why you only see video (GOP headers) in FF.

Quote:

flat out guesses :) ? (Maybe just a bad tape...)
It has not definately been fingered as a bad tapes issue, though it is possible.

It is most usually associated with the tape not being firmly seated in it's carrier before the tape carrier is pushed home. The tape will load as normal but will slightly mistrack without the camera being aware of it.

It has happened on many occasions when people have been shooting sequential tapes, requiring fast unload/ loads and enough care not being taken to push the new tape home.

Other occasions have been newbies hesitancy to give the tape a good hard push.

Quote:

Anyone way to get the footage i took yesterday or is it gone
Nope, it's cactus, I'm afraid.

CS

Adam Gold September 28th, 2011 07:11 PM

You can try sending it to Sony. Sometimes they can recover the data.

Sony Media Services

Chris Soucy September 28th, 2011 08:41 PM

Sending the tape to Sony has, it's true, sometimes recovered data from problematic tapes, however, I know of no instance where this BSOD (as I call it) situation has ever been recovered.

Because the mistracking means that either the beginning or the end of EVERY single I frame (and GOP header, come to that) is incomplete (and more data is missing than the error correction system can possibly cope with) tweaking the read path is futile, as the necessary data is, quite simply, not on the tape.

I would only suggest it if your very career depended on it quite frankly, and wouldn't get too excited about it working.

Your call.

CS

Michael Standley September 28th, 2011 10:18 PM

Thank you so much for the quick replies and the help. It was a practice shoot to see how things looked in editing. So no big loss.