DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/)
-   -   Here are the issues I have with my HVR-Z-7 Camera. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z7-hvr-s270/125974-here-issues-i-have-my-hvr-z-7-camera.html)

Pete Burns July 15th, 2008 07:28 AM

Here are the issues I have with my HVR-Z-7 Camera.

1. All Scan Function Missing
This continues to be a big problem whilst shooting.
The “All Scan” (Under-scan) is an essential feature that’s missing from the Z7. It’s a pro feature that’s on the older Z1 and A1E cameras. The omission of the All Scan feature by Sony has serious operational implications.

2. ENG Lenses Compatibility
Z7 12-pin lens connector will not control professional ENG lenses.
I have tried to control my Canon broadcast lens on my Z7 plus a Fujinon lens on colleagues Z7. Neither of them controls the zoom lenses as advertised.

3. Timecode Problems
Timecode advances 15 frames.
Timecode advances 15 frames after camera power down, i.e. 15 frames are missing. The missing frames have also manifested in between shots without switching the camera off.

This is a problem when editing as Avid etc. requires un-broken timecode for batch capturing.

Also, timecode from Flashcard cannot be read by Avid or Adobe Premier Pro.
Timecode records and plays from flash card but, exports individual clips at 00.00.00.00 when imported in edit suites.

4. No timecode or Display Output on Video Outputs
Page 83 of operating guide states “You can select outputs to which display information, such as timecode, is outputted”.

Information is only displayed on output, i.e. a monitor, during the menu selection set-up. When the selection menu is closed, the display information disappears from the external monitor.

5. Display Set - Too many icons displayed in the viewfinder.
We need the option of selecting each of the icons to NOT to be display in the viewfinder/LCD? They really clutter up the screen.

Why have a 4:3 icon when we can see were shooting in 4:3

When the gain is 0db, we don't need a '0db symbol in the display.

The same goes when zebra is selected, another icon appears. We don't need an icon as we can see the zebras.

I have been waiting for ages to hear from Sony Pro Europe with regards these issues.

Any thoughts folks?

Jonathan Richards July 15th, 2008 10:05 AM

The LCD is a full HD image. No need for underscan. Just set the safe area marker to your choice 80% or 90%.

Bruce G. Cleveland July 15th, 2008 12:39 PM

I think you are looking for stuff to complain about. For some reason a lot of people have nit-picked this camera to death, failed to read the manual and generally did not learn how to use it properly. Me? I love the camera and cannot see one of your complaints as worth complaining about. I bought 1 in April and just purchased 2 more.

Bruce

Luc De Wandel July 15th, 2008 01:06 PM

I agree, compared to my XH-A1 that I just sold to buy the Z7, the Z7 is a jewel. It is immediately clear that it is a camera made by people who have a huge experience in professional ENG-camera-production, from the lay-out of the controls to the studiness of the construction and the quality of the viewfinder: this is a lot of camera for the price. Don't get me wrong: I do not say that the XH-A1 is not a good piece of equipment, on the contrary, the image quality is just superb. But if feels and handles like a consumer camera, while the Z7 is a professional tool. I never had focus problems, the rolling shutter does not bother me at all and the CF-cardreader works perfectly with my computer. Very strange that it draws so much criticism...

Bruce G. Cleveland July 15th, 2008 01:27 PM

Luc I was convinced early on that people just thought this was another auto camera, like the 2100 and 170s. Although they were both fantastic cameras, you could get away with much more auto settings. The Z7 needs to be learned and that has really taken me some time. Many of the problems and issues that people had, were related to just not reading the manual through and getting to know the camera.

Bruce

Jonathan Richards July 15th, 2008 01:31 PM

I was going to buy the Z1, but why should I? The Z1 is a five year old design.

Yes, the Z7 is more expensive and I'm not particularly interested in a removable lens, but it is a new design with a new interface and better circuits.

I love the simple things - the histogram, the spirit level indicator, the peaking WITH zebra, the bullet proof feel, tape AND CF, good mic etc etc.

My clients still like tape but also the ability to record CF during tape change is fab. I can take 'photographs' with my camera as well as point and shoot...

Gary Nattrass July 15th, 2008 04:55 PM

I love my Z7 and it is streets ahead of the V1 it replaced, I have done several demo's to uni's in the north east and they think it is a great camera for cross over from Dvcam to HDV with tapeless and tape back-up.

Ok I still cant get the compact flash to read into final cut but that is down to my mac systems and Im now using avid media composer for quick turnaround jobs so it isnt a problem.

It will be one of the classic cameras and as Bruce says you need to spend some time with it and treat it with the respect it deserves.

Bruce G. Cleveland July 15th, 2008 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass (Post 907843)
I love my Z7 and it is streets ahead of the V1 it replaced, I have done several demo's to uni's in the north east and they think it is a great camera for cross over from Dvcam to HDV with tapeless and tape back-up.

Ok I still cant get the compact flash to read into final cut but that is down to my mac systems and Im now using avid media composer for quick turnaround jobs so it isnt a problem.

It will be one of the classic cameras and as Bruce says you need to spend some time with it and treat it with the respect it deserves.

Gary I myself am getting pretty fed up with fcp not keeping up with the technology. I am still toying with switching over to Premeire Pro for the mac. It has some pretty cool features that fcp does not. I am already using Encore for my dvds and it is 100% easier and much faster to author than Studio Pro. I have been a strong supporter of Final Cut for years, but I need to make decisions that are going to make my life easier and FCP is not going in that direction.

Bruce

Luc De Wandel July 16th, 2008 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce G. Cleveland (Post 907752)
Luc I was convinced early on that people just thought this was another auto camera, like the 2100 and 170s. Although they were both fantastic cameras, you could get away with much more auto settings. The Z7 needs to be learned and that has really taken me some time. Many of the problems and issues that people had, were related to just not reading the manual through and getting to know the camera.

Bruce

The whole fun is indeed in using the cam in full manual, as I do. It took me hours of R.T.F.M. to find even the smallest details, but hey, isn't that part of the fun with new toys for boys?

Pete Burns July 17th, 2008 09:24 AM

Z7 underscan issue

Reply to Jonathan Richards; The LCD is a full HD image. No need for underscan. Just set the safe area marker to your choice 80% or 90%

Johnathan, you are wrong about the about the Z7 underscan issue.
Here is a quote from Sony's Product manager.

"With regards to the question about the scanning of the display, then I can confirm that you are correct and that you cannot see all of the image on the LCD display. Apparently this is down to the structure holding the LCD panel in place and that it overlaps the active pixels on the LCD. So although the LCD panel is displaying all the picture, the pixels around".the edges are obscured from view."

Pete Burns July 17th, 2008 10:09 AM

Sony Z7 Issues

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce G. Cleveland (Post 907717)
I think you are looking for stuff to complain about. For some reason a lot of people have nit-picked this camera to death, failed to read the manual and generally did not learn how to use it properly. Me? I love the camera and cannot see one of your complaints as worth complaining about. I bought 1 in April and just purchased 2 more.

Bruce

I can't understand why you are so defensive about the Sony HVR-Z7 camera; it really does have some serious issues to be resolved. I will report to the forum the results following a meeting with Sony on 24th July.

With regards your patronising attitude, take a look at my website and you’ll see the level of Television/Film work that I’m involved in. Feel free to post me a link to your own website; it’s always good to know the proficiency of people who post comments on forums, don’t you agree?

Best regards

Pete Burns
Lighting Cameraman
www.peteburns.com

Chris Hurd July 17th, 2008 10:27 AM

Easy does it fellows -- on this site we debate the issues, not each other.

I close accounts when it starts getting personal... just an FYI.

Bruce G. Cleveland July 17th, 2008 10:45 AM

Pete I am sorry if you took my reply to be patronizing. I did not mean it that way.

Bruce

Jonathan Richards July 17th, 2008 11:49 AM

Pete, what do you use your Z7 for?

It looks like you've got plenty of high end credits where I thought you'd use better cameras.

Even though you have issues with the camera, are there some good things (over the Z1) that you like?

Pete Burns July 17th, 2008 03:21 PM

HVR-Z7 Update

Bruce, your apology is accepted. Short “email bites/postings” of can often be misread.

Jonathan, with regards cameras, the cameras listed on my website are the ones I own. When production companies require other formats I hire them in as required; as most of my colleagues do.

With regards your question about improvements over the Z1?
The general control layout makes more sense and the addition of a real “iris feel” on the lens makes life easer too. Having said that, Z1 and Z7 footage look similar, unless shot in low light conditions; then Z7 then wins hands down.

For your interest, I bought the Z7 when they first came out to use as a B-Roll camera. When the Z7 is set up properly, material shot with it cuts really well against DigiBeta.

I’m told that Sony doesn’t want users to be passive, especially on a new build camera like the Z7. It’s not nit-picking, its important feedback to them. I posted my original thread to DVi to see if other people have similar issues with the Z7.

As I said previously, I will report back to the forum after Sony’s product manager meets with me on 24th July.

Gary Nattrass July 17th, 2008 04:11 PM

Pete good to hear that the feedback loops are established here in the UK, I personally chose the Z1 over the Ex-1/3 as the dvcam crossover and low cost CF cards are a real winner for me. It also allows multi format shooting and tape archive.

I have recently demo'ed the Z7 to two media uni's here in the north east and they are very impressed with the camera and workflow.

I too have issues with certain aspects relating to final cut and the cf import but have overcome these by using avid for any jobs that need the fast cf turnaround.

Jonathan Richards July 18th, 2008 04:04 AM

It's interesting to hear that the Z7 intercuts well with DigiBeta - I haven't bought a lame camera then!

Mike Paterson July 18th, 2008 08:41 AM

In response to the original issues raised:

1. All Scan Function Missing

The screen is actually All Scan, but as you say it is the plastic edges of the screen which crop it very slightly. I was disappointed too, but the amount of image lost is really minimal - nowhere near the amount of cameras without All Scan.

2. ENG Lenses Compatibility

Can't comment - haven't tried ENG lens yet

3. Timecode advances 15 frames.

I haven't noticed this problem with my Z7

'Also, timecode from Flashcard cannot be read by Avid or Adobe Premier Pro'.

Avid reads the timecode fine from my CF card import - not sure what is happening here

4. No timecode or Display Output on Video Outputs

In the menu, set 'Display Output' to 'All output'

5. Display Set - Too many icons displayed in the viewfinder.

I agree!

Hope this helps

Pete Burns July 18th, 2008 01:17 PM

Thanks Mike.

Underscan?
I actually have quite a difference when the Z7 is outputted to an underscan monitor.

No timecode or Display Output on Video Outputs?
When I select 'Display Output' to 'All output'
timecode, etc. appears on external monitors but disappears after the menu selection is closed.
Very strange!

Several production companies have informed me of timecode drop out from Z7 material whilst importing shots to avid.

Thanks for your comments Mike

Pete Burns July 25th, 2008 04:10 AM

Z7 - Meeting with Sony Product Manager

Following a meeting with Robert France from (Sony HVR-Z7 Product Manager)
He told me that Sony have set a two week period to resolve several of the issues that I brought to their attention.

With regards the LCD underscan problem, he has asked for other Z7 users to email him asking for the underscan option to be made available on the Z7 as is on the Z1.

Note from Admin: email address removed from public view. Please do not post email addresses on public message boards as they are easily harvested by spammers. Thanks in advance -- CH

Another issue that’s come up is Audio Monitoring. The Z7 has No option to monitor channels individually.

The Z7 does not have the same audio monitoring options as other cameras, i.e. Z1, DSR, DigiBeta, etc.

Here’s what the Z1 manual says on page 65

CH1, CH2 Select to listen to CH1 and CH2 separately in L&R channels.

CH1 Select to listen to CH1 sound in the L&R

CH2 Select to listen to CH2 sound in the L&R

CH1+CH2 Select to listen to CH1 & CH2 synthesized in L&R

The Z7 only is able to CH1 +CH2 simultaneously.

Dropping this option on the Z7 makes sound monitoring difficult, for example.
When monitoring a radio mic whilst the camera mic is picking up ambient in a noisy environment, i.e. a presenter to camera in large gathering of people, F1 pit stop, etc.

He will be looking into this too.

Jonathan Richards July 25th, 2008 04:47 AM

I presume these potential changes are for the benefit of new purchasers of the Z7 and not part of some firmware upgrade that could be applied to existing Z7s??

Jon Oneill July 25th, 2008 04:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
When you say resolve these things what do you mean, could existing owners get an update?

Some of my issues are:

1) Audio monitoring one channel in both ears is not available, when recording two. This is available in vcr mode tho.

2) All scan mode is missing

3) Timecode inconsistencies, between simultaneous tape and CF footage

4) A&B colour temps cannot be reviewed after the initial white balance. Only preset temp is seen in status screen.

5) None (or minimal) editing of on screen icons

6) 25p progressive to cf only seems to record 25p scan..?

7) -6db maybe should be stated as 0db, as more noise is present at 0db.

8) Continuous recording without breaks does not seem possible, i.e tape > cf (whilst tape change) > tape. image attached. always seem to get a break for some reason.

http://www.drcoffee.co.uk/z7_to_CF2jpg

Pete Burns July 25th, 2008 05:01 AM

Z7 Firmware upgrades

Rob, Sony’s Z7 product manager informs me that firmware upgrades are included in the two year Sony warranty; I was surprised too"!

You may be charged if you send it to your dealer or approved Sony repair centre for the upgrade, but not so if sent directly to Sony; that said you will probably pay shipping.

For your interest, I’m told that a second firmware upgrade is now available. It has no significant changes just a few minor issues that we wouldn’t notice.

Jonathan Richards July 25th, 2008 05:45 AM

How on earth are these Firmware upgrades applied?

Pete Burns July 25th, 2008 06:00 AM

Take a deep breath and relax......
..... they are installed by a qualified engineer, or a Sony approved centre.
Shame we can't just plug in a USB cable and ugrade the firmware as we do on DSLRs.

Chris Hurd July 25th, 2008 06:38 AM

Firmware upgrades on this camcorder are most likely accomplished via the Sony RM-95 IR remote (or whatever has replaced that model by now, if anything). And yes anybody can buy this device but it's useless for updating your own firmware if you don't know the codes.

Jon Oneill July 25th, 2008 06:53 AM

Whilst we have our noses in the trough for updates, what about an:

image flip function for 35mm adapters, I'd like that.

Multi zebra functions,say 70% and 100% on screen at same time like ex1. Or different zebra settings to be assigned to assignable buttons, say 70% and 100% to buttons 4 and 5.

Coloured peaking option like v1 and ex1

Cinema aspect ratio onscreen markers. say 1.85:1

Eased out and in, shot transition function. other than dead start / stop.

Jonathan Richards July 25th, 2008 06:54 AM

Excellent ideas... I'd like coloured peaking please!

Mike Paterson July 25th, 2008 08:03 AM

Good news about the firmware - thanks for pursuing all this Pete. Can you PM me Robert Frances email (removed by mod)?

I would be happy to substitute some screen resolution for true All Scan display.

What about NTSC/PAL switch in a firmware upgrade? Currently this requires a hardware fix.

also, expanded focus isn't available when CF is set to synchronous - this feels like something firmware could fix.

Pete Burns July 25th, 2008 08:33 AM

Z7 - Sony product manager

Below is a link to a page on my website that shows the Sony product managers mail address.

He has no problems with me giving this to Z7 owners.
Best regards

Pete

http://www.peteburns.com/Z7%20Problems

Jamie Kehoe July 25th, 2008 07:09 PM

I agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Oneill (Post 911789)
When you say resolve these things what do you mean, could existing owners get an update?

8) Continuous recording without breaks does not seem possible, i.e tape > cf (whilst tape change) > tape. image attached. always seem to get a break for some reason.

http://www.drcoffee.co.uk/z7_to_CF2jpg

This is my one pet hate with the camera, it never seems to work, I lose up to around 3 seconds sometimes changing tapes, surely this is not a desirable function with regards to the operation of the memory recording unit? I do hope Sony have a fix for this problem. The rest of the issues stated, don't really bother me, however I think the Final Cut Pro ingestion thing is a problem with this dropped timecode as the card continues it's timecode from the tape, but then starts a new timecode when inserting a new tape. Maybe if recording simultaneously, you need to set the timecode to be continuous and run over multiple tapes, but this is only a guess.

Pete Burns July 26th, 2008 05:03 AM

DOF Adaptors

What about an image flip function for 35mm adapters?

I brought up that point during my meeting with the guy from Sony, and pointed out that a several other cameras now have an image flip feature. He took note.

Jon Oneill July 26th, 2008 06:55 AM

Pete, how does this work? May the Sony manager actually implement these updates if we ask? 35mm flip function would be great, what's the likelihood?

They would sell more cameras with a few of these new functions, initial programming would payoff. Compete with hvx and new panasonic models, on a simple hdv tape workflow. It would be a great camera.

Imagine if these cameras were user customizable, with our own firmware...

ps. What about a 35mm flip function which actually recorded flipped images, so there was no need to flip back in post. Meaning reduced light loss, without the need for a flip adapter.

Pete Burns July 26th, 2008 07:39 AM

Z7

If enough people contact him with regards sensible suggestions, i.e. LCD flip, he then has a better case to present to the designers with regards adding features to the Z7.

I was told that every bit of computing power is presently being used by the camera; so not much left to process new features. However, the LCD flip may not involve processing, possibly just a simple switch option in a menu. Who knows, we will have to wait and see what upgrades appears on any future firmware.

Meanwhile, it’s best to email the Robert France (the product manager) direct with regards suggestions/issues.

The forum won’t let me publish his email address, so you can find it at this page on my website.

http://www.peteburns.com/Z7%20Problems

Cheers

Ian Jacklin August 2nd, 2008 12:53 PM

Sony HVR Z&U or Sony EX1 or Pan HVX P2?????

Been researching for about a month. I need a basic camera package to start shooting a documentary that will eventually hit big screens so want to be sure quality is good enough. Only have 10 grand to work with to get camera, tripod, mic, and car.

I've boiled it down to the HVR, EX1 or P2. Problem with these new camera's is the after cost of cards and lap tops so here are three combinations I've come up with:
(prices based on B&H as I was told not to trust the "best prices" from questionable dealers)

Sony PMW-EX1 w/free 8 gig SXS card: $6449

SXS Card 8 G: $449

Tripod, mic, Ext. Hard drive: $689.95

= $7587.95 + tax? $607.03
= $8194.99 (No laptop (at first))

Sony HVR-Z7U: $5599

= $6288.95 + tax ?: $503.12
= $6792.06 (Use Tapes - No cards or Lap Top ((at first)))

Panasonic HVX 200A w/free 8 gig P2 card: $5499
P-2 16 Gig Card: $850
15” MacBook Pro: $2000

= $9038.95 Tax ?: $723
= $9762.06

As you can see only the HVR allows me enough room to buy a car as well. But word on the street has been that the EX1's 1080i 24p is just so much better it justifies the added expense.

The reason I put ??? after tax is because I also heard if I buy out of state it won't apply. Is this true?

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Dwain Elliott September 19th, 2008 09:15 AM

Ian,

If you haven't already decided on your purchases, I think the Sony EX1 package is the way to go among the choices you are considering. 1/2" CMOS will give you a far superior image, especially if your goal is the big screen.

(I really can't address your additional need for a car and a laptop within your $10k budget)